Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to call for a ban on the use of "autistic" as a term of insult?

(45 Posts)
smallwhitecat Thu 05-Nov-09 16:45:15

Message withdrawn

pagwatch Thu 05-Nov-09 16:54:31

I hate this too.
It is smug middle class wankerage - he and his type know that to call someone 'retarded' or some other scummy derogatory term would result in condemnation.

So they use the correct or PC language but still are using disability as an insult.

Wanker.

Its like the oh so funny use of "are you learning disabled?" or " what are you - special ed?" which I have heard in a couple of american programmes

[vomit emoticon]

stickylittlefingers Thu 05-Nov-09 16:55:57

I agree. I was a bit shocked - are the mores so different in France?

smallwhitecat Thu 05-Nov-09 17:15:08

Message withdrawn

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:36:59

I kept looking online expecting to see tons of outrage like the Jan Moir Stephen Gately piece but there is none sad

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:37:40

aha, suppose this is something:

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6904854.ece

2shoeshissbangwhoosh Thu 05-Nov-09 17:38:38

there is a thread in sn

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 05-Nov-09 17:40:41

2shoes - yes, I have been on it, I meant I expected to see outrage all over the Net like there was about the jan Moir piece - facebook groups etc, but there was nothing really.

perfectstorm Thu 05-Nov-09 17:45:32

It made me really, really angry that it was used in that context, and even angrier that the press just keep repeating it, as if he'd been called duplicitous or ignorant or something else more appropriate. It was vile, and the way people who would huff at the use of "retarded" are oblivious is disturbing. Pig ignorance on so many sides.

2shoeshissbangwhoosh Thu 05-Nov-09 17:45:35

it is odd, as it was such an odd thing for a supposedly inteligent person to say

bigstripeytiger Thu 05-Nov-09 17:53:34

Outrageous, and quite a strange thing to say really.

WetAugust Thu 05-Nov-09 18:01:49

What do you expect from a cheese-eating surrender monkey? grin

catski Thu 05-Nov-09 18:44:45

Yes, I saw that and was pretty disgusted by it. Am surprised there hasn't been a backlash in the media about using autistic as a term of insult.

pagwatch Thu 05-Nov-09 19:05:41

rofl at wetaugust

the media are spineless wankers too.

<<pag is after the french and the whole media. Possibly in a bad mood>>

Glitterknickaz Thu 05-Nov-09 19:10:51

yeah.... I found it incredibly offensive

junglist1 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:55:22

Really, really bad. What sort of mentality do people have to think this is acceptable???

chegirl Thu 05-Nov-09 20:23:38

I think there is a real problem in that everyone seems to know what autisim is. They have all seen 'Rainman', they have watched a few tv programmes about high functioning indiviuals with artistic talents and they have all got it nailed now.

So they fling the term about with abandon safe in the knowledge that they are being terribly insightful.

And not rude, ignorant and lazy.

stillenacht Thu 05-Nov-09 20:28:58

chegirl - spot on

I hear 'retards' all day long as a secondary teacher. It really hurts - i know the kids don't mean it but my son has low functioning autism and the kids i teach are very bright (selective school) and it makes me sad that they have no idea sad...I am going to do my best over the next year to make links with my Dss special school and mine so that it broadens the minds of the kids I teach.

onagar Thu 05-Nov-09 20:34:23

From the context it was meant to be descriptive rather than simply insulting. That's a bit different from shouting 'retard' and other random words which is probably why there is little being said about it.

herjazz Thu 05-Nov-09 20:34:27

yab bang on

what you've all said already. Yeah that's the socially acceptable / generally used term for sommat so to appropriate disparagingly / out of context is fine and funny? Or funny and a leetle bit edgy. Bah!

pagwatch Thu 05-Nov-09 20:35:53

stille

DS1 has talked at length with many of his school friends and they are gradually getting the message ( they are all 16) - it also helps that some of them have met his brother at which point they get quite fiercely protective of him - which is sweet.

You expect supposedly intelligent adults to know better though. It pisses me off that it is being treated by mainstream media as a forceful comment indicating strength of feeling rather than an ill thought out sensationalist cheap shot used by a man who ought to know better.

I suspect many inthe media don't think it is a problem
wankers . again

herjazz Thu 05-Nov-09 20:37:18

er but they're not tho are they onagar? So isn't descriptive

Swedes2Turnips0 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:39:37

I'm not sure it's offensive. But I'm obviously sorry you all feel offended. Is it not like saying someone was blind to the facts? Is that insulting to blind people?

pagwatch Thu 05-Nov-09 20:42:29

It is no more effectively and appropraitely descrptive than, for example, saying that William Hague was behaving like a retard in refusing to engage.
It is exactly the same. It is using a disability to negatively label a behaviour in a derogatory way

Swedes2Turnips0 Thu 05-Nov-09 20:45:12

But retard is insulting under any circumstances. Whereas autistic isn't insulting nor is blind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now