Advanced search

to report my neighbour to the council?

(11 Posts)
Claire2009 Sun 01-Nov-09 22:47:00

Screaming this morning, sounded like she was right next to me, arguing with her 16yo at 1.30am and woke my 2 & 3yo up and myself, it's ridiculous, screaming/every other word is swearing and it's not what I want my toddlers hearing!!!

I'm considering reporting her to the council, I know she lives in council acc. but I'm not quite sure how to report her. This has been happening since I moved into my house, approx a year ago, most days is screaming/swearing. Is this really acceptable???
I live in a semi detached and it sounds as though she's next to me when she's in fact in her living room full pitch screaming!

BrandonsMummy Sun 01-Nov-09 22:56:51

Have you thought about having a word with her first? she may not have a clue that you can hear her and feel so guilty that she's woken your dcs that she stops. Tell her that if it continues you'll report her as it's not fair on you and your LOs

Claire2009 Sun 01-Nov-09 22:58:21

I've spoke with her, all I get back is "F*ck off"

BrandonsMummy Sun 01-Nov-09 23:35:54

Report her then! Sounds like a rude cow! I just hope it doesn't make it worse, if the council approach her, would it be obvious that it was you that complained?

GypsyMoth Mon 02-Nov-09 00:11:43

Report her for what exactly?

A letter from the council would make it obvious it's from you. If reporting as a noise nuisance then env health would need to record it on their specialist recording equipment. To be honest, it probably won't qualify for much. But you need to kelp a diary. Same as if it's any accomadation she lived in, not just council.

MadameDefarge Mon 02-Nov-09 00:17:17

This counts as anti-social behaviour, and it is the councils responsibiity to deal with it. Also, she is breaching her tenancy agreement.

I don' think it would necessarily be obvious that is came from OP, probably loads of people have heard her.

Agree you need to keep a diary.

Claire2009 Mon 02-Nov-09 00:19:21

i have been keeping a diary for about 2wks, thanks.

sunnydelight Mon 02-Nov-09 00:48:02

Yes, you can report her to the council for anti-social behaviour, but do think through the possible consequences before you do this. I worked for CAB for years, and neighbour disputes are an absolute nightmare. If you have already tried to speak to your neighbour and the response was f* off, how do you think she'll take to receiving a letter from the council saying there has been a complaint when it's obviously you.

Most councils nowadays have mediation services so if you really can't bear it any more I would be inclined to phone or go in to the council housing office and talk through possible options rather than going straight to making a complaint. Hell really is can be other people!

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 02-Nov-09 08:38:39

I suppose it depends on what you want the outcome to be?
If you are both council tenants, would it be possible to ask for some soundproofing on the wall?
Sorry if this is a weak idea, it's the best I can come up with.
I do understand the hell of awful neighbours. We have never had a problem until we moved to Switzerland. the woman upstairs (who really does look like kreecher) has some serious issues with our family. We are, I think quiet, our dd plays quietly, we don't have the telly on too loud and we don't play loud music. We do have regular visits from the police though.

Arsed Mon 02-Nov-09 08:42:20

Call the police, every time. They take domestic incidents really seriously. You'd do it if it was a man screaming at his wife every day wouldn't you ?

GypsyMoth Mon 02-Nov-09 08:56:30

Teenaged kids being shouted at? Police will do what? Would think they would just aggravate situation. If they would even bother to attend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now