Talk

Advanced search

to be thankful it was just a fire drill and not a real fire ?

(15 Posts)
herbietea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:05:17

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Wed 14-Oct-09 22:10:04

this is why they do the drills, they won't make the same mistake

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 14-Oct-09 22:10:49

shock that's terrible

herbietea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:16:23

Message withdrawn

leanto Wed 14-Oct-09 22:16:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herbietea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:19:30

Message withdrawn

ladymariner Wed 14-Oct-09 22:26:57

thats appalling.In our school the secretary has the job of bringing the registers out when we do a fire drill as well as the signing in/out book.

charlotteolivia Wed 14-Oct-09 22:29:18

i thought it was standard that one of the secretaries grabbed registers and sign in/out log book on the way out. then they hand them to the form tutors, and let them know about the log book if any of their pupils are in it.

maybe they were just double checking, as sometimes kids sign out, but forget to sign back in again.

charlotteolivia Wed 14-Oct-09 22:32:12

and are you sure one of the staff didnt already have it? a secondary sch fire drill is big, with lots of staff, did ds1 see someone actually go back into the building and get it? or just retrieve it from another member of staff? highly doubt NO-ONE brought it out really

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 14-Oct-09 22:37:36

Well what if someone had brought them out... but your child who had arrived late (due to an appointment/traffic jam/whatever) was recorded as being absent and nobody checked the signing in/out book?

Your child could be in the building and noone would no to look for him/her.

OP I think you should raise it as a concern so it definitely gets looked into - not brushed under the carpet.

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 14-Oct-09 22:38:55

no? know

<No, I never went to school...>

herbietea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:43:05

Message withdrawn

JustAnotherManicMummy Wed 14-Oct-09 22:44:36

shock

WebDude Wed 14-Oct-09 22:46:37

"Everyone should have designated jobs, so they all don't say 'I thought X ..."

That probably is the case already (though if there have been staff changes, it may be that someone who previously didn't have that task had simply forgotten).

Can understand your anger, but am not even sure it would do you much good to complain - they know they got it wrong and the member of staff might have had a formal reprimand already.

I had been thinking to suggest speaking informally with form tutor (holding back on first idea being to write to the governors) but it's a health and safety issue and having seen their mishandling, in some after-the-event analysis, I suspect that action will already have been taken internally.

It might be something to query after a month or two - they might (if they have sense) have another fire drill to ensure they can do it right, which is for the benefit of the pupils after all, even if it is a touch disruptive.

TokenFemale Wed 14-Oct-09 22:51:04

Definitely raise it with the governors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now