Talk

Advanced search

to think that pirates aren't very appropriate as an infant school topic?

(49 Posts)
LoveBuckets Wed 30-Sep-09 21:07:58

This is DH's AIMBU btw. He thinks there is nothing charming about kidnapping, pillaging rapists. Plus seeing as piracy is alive and prospering on the high seas today and innocent people are still being kidnapped and hijacked, should we treat it so lightly?

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 30-Sep-09 21:11:11

is it any worse than the great fire of London which my DS's did in YR2? People still die in fires today and it's not very nice learning about it.....

sweethoney Wed 30-Sep-09 21:11:51

YABU it is just children and innocent make believe. My DS in nursery is doing a theme on the 'police', and will have a dress up day as either a 'cop' or a 'robber'. Pirates, fairies etc all help develop childrens' imagination. My DS loves dressing up as a pirate grin

Moontheloon Wed 30-Sep-09 21:13:27

I think evry school does it! It's all yo ho ho stuff though, no mention of pilaging or rape.

GypsyMoth Wed 30-Sep-09 21:16:01

totally being unreasonable

what topic would he prefer then?

corriefan Wed 30-Sep-09 21:18:24

YABU. Schools use topics that appeak to children to get them interested in learning. They don't just learn about pirates, in fact they won't learn about the sort of pirates you're talking about, they'll learn all sorts through an imaginary pirate theme, just as they might do work based on dragons etc. In fact, are you joking?

Hulababy Wed 30-Sep-09 21:19:00

YABU

It is done entirely from the point of view of fairy tale pirates, not real life ones.

We are doing Magic next half term apparently. Again - fairy tale type magic. Nothing sinister.

UnquietDad Wed 30-Sep-09 21:19:59

YOu arr-eeharrrrr bein' unreasonable. Arr.

Marioandluigi Wed 30-Sep-09 21:21:03

YABU

DS did the Great Fire of London in yr2, it gave him nightmares and all he could talk about was burning and fires.

At the moment he is doing 'The Fairground' which seems a bit of a strange topic to me.

JeminTheDungeon Wed 30-Sep-09 21:21:16

It's sanitised..like everything else. He should get a grip.

needahand Wed 30-Sep-09 21:21:51

YANBU my MIL bought my DS a pirate book for his first birthday and I really do not understand why you would want to give a present glorifying violence and bad behavious to a little boy so young

LoveBuckets Wed 30-Sep-09 21:22:29

Ah see fairy tales, fiction not DH's strong pointgrin.

Mutt Wed 30-Sep-09 21:22:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LoveBuckets Wed 30-Sep-09 21:23:49

Eeeeuw fairgrounds <<shudders>>

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 30-Sep-09 21:25:13

OMG - I have the same problem with my ds's obsession with the film Cars and his love of Lunar Jim.

Think of the ozone FGS...!!

Once that has gone the least of your DHs precious worries will be a couple of hook handed rascals and their Mater Bates.

janess404 Wed 30-Sep-09 21:35:11

YABU peter pan tinker bell pirates?

trefusis Wed 30-Sep-09 21:36:58

Message withdrawn

curiositykilled Wed 30-Sep-09 21:38:45

My little boy wants to be a pirate when he grows up, wonder what your DH would think of that?! Lol, we did explain about real pirates but he just said he'd be a friendly pirate of course! Lol

corriefan Wed 30-Sep-09 21:40:11

LoveBuckets can I ask for examples of topics you would approve of that would be suitable for your son and the other children in you child's class (or more imporantly your husband?)

Sidge Wed 30-Sep-09 21:40:49

My DD2 did 'pirates' in Reception last year, and it was very much like trefusis has described above.

They made a pirate ship out of boxes, tubes, fabric for the flag etc. They counted treasure, made up stories and decorated hats and flags.

All very innocent, and nothing to do with modern day piracy.

Ronaldinhio Wed 30-Sep-09 21:42:41

yeah, yeah it's my husband's aibu....

thedolly Wed 30-Sep-09 21:56:28

There was something a bit 'off' about Captain Pugwash though - I just can't remember what.

DD(8) had to describe 'her' pirate character for homework. Her pirate name was generated by the computer when she put her own name in. She wrote a fairly long paragraph that was hilarious and thoroughly enjoyed herself in the process. smile

HIBU

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 30-Sep-09 21:57:19

ahoyyy me hearties

Ronaldinhio Wed 30-Sep-09 22:02:33

avast behind

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 30-Sep-09 22:04:16

shiver me timbers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now