Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to say dogs should not be put in clothes

(27 Posts)
PeedOffWithNits Wed 16-Sep-09 12:05:14

what is it with clothes for dogs?

OK, I know a little tartan winter coat has been around for years, likewise my nan's yorkie used to drag its back legs and had little leather slipper things to wear. But WHAT is with all this diamante rubbish, T shirts etc???

(inspired by mum's neighbour showing me a lovely lacey green and black halloween frock with spiders on, complete with matching witches hat. FOR HER DOG!)

buy a doll instead people!!

DailyMailNameChanger Wed 16-Sep-09 12:07:34

Nope grin

Not sure what mine would do if you gave him a nice little frilled shirt and bow tie but I suspect it would offend those of a sensitive disposition - mind you he has taste wink

itsmeolord Wed 16-Sep-09 12:08:30

YANBU. DP's friends have a dog who has his own wardrobe. It is very wrong.

thumbwitch Wed 16-Sep-09 12:12:50

YAsoNBU. just weird, imo.

mice Wed 16-Sep-09 12:13:24

You are definitely not being unreasonable! Publicly ridiculing your pets is just not on!

thumbwitch Wed 16-Sep-09 12:13:25

sorry, potential ambiguity - clothes for dogs are weird, not the OP blush

Kayzr Wed 16-Sep-09 12:14:44

YANBU!!!

We saw a dog with a flat cap on the other day. Just wrong!!

Bathsheba Wed 16-Sep-09 12:15:24

YACNBUAT (completely not being unreasonable at all).

Animials dressed as people is my number 1 pet peeve.

Southwestwhippet Wed 16-Sep-09 12:21:48

My whippets have a collection of warm coats for winter time as they are come to work with me at the riding stables. These range from lightweight wax coats for late autumn and early spring to woolen and fleece coats for Jan/Feb. My older dog in particular appears to love her coats and will shiver and look very dejected if it is removed. So i am not oppossed to clothes for dogs per se.

that said, all my dog coats are practical, hardwearing and designed with comfort and warmth in mind. Putting 'costumes' on dogs is a rather different issue IMO. it is harmless enough if done occasionally but unfortunately seems to go hand in hand with the new trend for treating dogs like glorified accessories, carrying them about in handbags a la Paris Hilton etc. dogs need to run about, to hunt, to explore, to interact with other dogs. Carrying them about in bags dressed in diamante T-shirts is an animal welfare issue IMO.

A halloween costume as a one off? Tasteless but not cruel. treating a dog like a doll? totally disgraceful.

TheBalladofGayTony Wed 16-Sep-09 12:25:06

lol @ flatcap! the sort of people who do this think paris hilton is like really clever.

Lovesdogsandcats Wed 16-Sep-09 12:53:23

Southwestwhippet, totally agree. Hate to see skinny dogs with sparse fur shivering, it must be so miserable for them, breeds like yours and greyhounds have hardly any covering so a coat is lovely for them smile

preciouslillywhite Wed 16-Sep-09 12:56:33

Whippets and greyhounds allowed for medical reasons

BUT as for all the rest- YANBU

<secretly wonders where can get flat cap..would look great on my staffs wink>

Kayzr Wed 16-Sep-09 13:02:09

Precious, it was a Staff that was wearing the flat cap!!

troutpout Wed 16-Sep-09 13:04:46

yabu
I think they should be dressed up for our entertainment

PeedOffWithNits Wed 16-Sep-09 13:05:18

southwestwhippet, yes, totally agree some dogs need a winter coat, was on about the naff trend, as you say, for treating your dog as a colour co-ordinated accessory

thumbwitch - I knew what you meant, or at least I hoped that was what you meant!

PeedOffWithNits Wed 16-Sep-09 13:05:49

you are joking trout, i hope??

troutpout Wed 16-Sep-09 13:06:54

its beautiful

DailyMailNameChanger Wed 16-Sep-09 13:08:30

Although... I am sometimes tempted by a nice waxed rug for my woof - the idea of not having a walking, muck filled, wet dog smelling, human sized shower bought back in after every walk was alluring...but then I thought what about boots for the mud... then I realised that this is the way maddness lies and slapped myself sharply around the chops grin

troutpout Wed 16-Sep-09 13:09:23

pmsl

PeedOffWithNits Wed 16-Sep-09 13:10:10

it's NOT beautiful, it's naff, tacky and bordering on cruel in some cases

DailyMailNameChanger Wed 16-Sep-09 13:13:15

The dog in that last link looks rather.. erm... pished orf grin

hatwoman Wed 16-Sep-09 13:18:41

if you go in pets r us or whatever it's called there's a section of accessories that are all pink and black and diamante encrusted. (I don;t think they include clothes as such, but it's probably just a matter of time) I think it encourages a stupid appraoch to dogs that doesn;t reflect the reality of owning them and caring for them and I get urges to accidentally knock teh whole display over.

hatwoman Wed 16-Sep-09 13:21:37

also - (and this one really annoys me, as both a runner and a dog owner) you can get shoes for your dog - for wearing if road running with him/her starts to wear his foot pads out. there's an easy solution to that one. doing an activity with your dog that injures him? don't feckin do it then. angry.

pruneplus2 Wed 16-Sep-09 13:54:18

YANBU.

Why is it all aimed at rat dogs?

I want to see a Mastiff or a Rotty in a pink diamond encrusted hoody or dress.

I wonder if they do catsuits for moggies? Ohh, one of mine would look good as Superman...

thumbwitch Thu 17-Sep-09 00:35:53

or an Irish Wolfhound...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now