Talk

Advanced search

To think DS is too young to go to a Football Match?

(8 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Sat 29-Aug-09 13:43:40

Message withdrawn

Madsometimes Sat 29-Aug-09 13:57:47

I can understand that your dh is excited about taking his son to the football, but I think that YANBU. A child turned just 3 will get nothing out of a football match, he will not be able to see properly and anyway will not understand what is going on.

I think a better tactic would be to wait until your son is older, perhaps 6 or 7 years old. By this time, he will be desperate to go to the football, and it will be seen as a real treat. Tell you dh to go to the match with his friends and enjoy a beer. Perhaps next Saturday, he can take ds to the park and play football with him, while you go shopping smile.

Sagacious Sat 29-Aug-09 14:01:17

Ds started going when he was six (this is to Premiership matches and England games)

Any younger and I think it would have been a bit much TBH, even lower league games can be loud and shouty.

Can you find out if his team does training sessions where you can watch and see if he enjoys that?

FattipuffsandThinnifers Sat 29-Aug-09 15:21:09

Agree it is too young.

But if he insists on it more fool him - I'd let him go and then laugh when it turns into a nightmare [evil cackle]. And make sure you go out before they get back so you don't have to deal with the fall-out.

DottyDot Sat 29-Aug-09 15:23:36

Hi - I started taking ds1 to Stockport County matches last season - he was 6 and loved it - we're still going to most home matches.

Ds2 was 4 and came to one and although was OK, was bored from about 10 minutes in the second half and I wouldn't take him again for a while.

I think 5 - 6 is probably a good age. 3 seems a bit on the young side?

piscesmoon Sat 29-Aug-09 15:31:02

I agree it is too young but you might as well let DH find out for himself, or you will have the same next year. At least if they have one visit DH will have to be realistic before he tried the next. I would have thought 6yrs-possibly 5 yrs depending on the DS.

lisbey Sat 29-Aug-09 15:54:50

I take mine 6 & 8 to League 1 games for purely selfish reasons. If they don't go I don't either.

I took DS1 to an end of season game age 10months and that was a very bad idea. He cried every time someone shouted.

We went back when DS1 as 7 and Ds2 5. They enjoy the "experience" but don't watch much football TBH. We take books, top trumps
and sweets/crisps to keep them happy.

In answer to your question. No reason DS shouldn't go, (in the same way he sometimes has to go to an art gallery or church he won't get much from ,but you want to go?)but your DH needs to understand that neither of them will watch much football. And they will be up an down to the toilet constantly once DS realises that's great way to get out of his seat grin

I saw my first game aged 4 BTW and still remember loving it. But that was in the days when I would run around on the terraces, not be confined to a seat and Dad bought me a man sized mars bar!!

HeathersMummy Sat 29-Aug-09 15:59:40

Hi - a different view. My DH has been taking DD to a Scottish Premier league ground to watch footie since she was 2 - she's now 4 and she loves it! At first, she didn't watch too much of the game but enjoyed joining in with the singing/cheering etc. They've never needed to leave a game early.

Just take lots of drinks/snacks and some small toys to amuse your DS when he's not watching the game. Everyone sits down at the games so you DS should be able to see enough.

My DH has really enjoyed teached DD who all the players are and some of the basic rules of the game. She's a bit upset at the moment right enough as the team have sold a couple of their best players and she doesn't have enough money in her piggy bank to help them buy new players grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now