Talk

Advanced search

ti think that a doctor's receptionist should know what wheeze means when used in connection with asthma.

(12 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Jul-09 14:16:44

Just called to make an appointment and when she asked what for I explained that he has asthma and that he started coughing yesterday and his wheeze is really bad.

her....His what?

me....wheeze

her....sorry I don't know what you mean

me....a wheeze; he has asthma.

her....yes I know what asthma is but I don't know what a wheeze is.

Me....W.H.E.E.Z.E, one of the main symptoms of asthma.

her...oh, right. do you want an appointment then?

<durr> no I just thought I'd share!

I'm scottish and live in Yorkshire, but c'mon!

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:23:16

You should have said to her 'yes its a medical term, but i wouldn't expect you to know, youre not a doctor' silly bint

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Jul-09 14:24:20

lol VT grin

She actually had me wondering whether only Scottish asthmatics wheeze or whether it's called something different here!

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:28:09

grin no, Eglish asthmatics 'wheeze' too, including myself

She maybe though tyou were saying his wee was really bad. grin Maybe if you said he was wheezing she might have clicked.

VinegarTits Wed 22-Jul-09 14:29:00

English

i am not from Eglish grin

hocuspontas Wed 22-Jul-09 14:33:14

I've never heard it called a wheeze! We say she's wheezing or she's a bit wheezy. Maybe a regional thing. Poor receptionist - she was probably embarrassed afterwards!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Jul-09 14:35:14

maybe hocuspocus!

thankfully we have a computerised check in so I don't need to go anywhere near the desk....I'll slink in and out again, or slink as much as I can with three children in tow!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Jul-09 14:35:35

oops, hocuspontas

2rebecca Wed 22-Jul-09 14:42:13

I would have said his chest is bad or he is very wheezy. "his wheeze is bad" could sound as though the wheeze was a part of his anatomy and been confused with wees and had her thinking he was having problems weeing. Receptionists don't get medical training, and this lass may have just started.

Pepa Wed 22-Jul-09 14:44:56

As an english asthma sufferer of 35 yrs it has always been referred to as a wheeze
eg:
Her wheeze is worse
She is very wheezy
She has been wheezing all night

I'm originally from Lancashire so don't think its a nothern thing either...maybe the receptionist was just having a bad day - although with our doctors receptionist every day is a bad day!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Jul-09 14:49:04

<thanks pepa greatfully for validation that I'm not a nutter>

I should be more charitable [bluah] as they are usually fantastic and we get same day appointments all the time without an interrogation. They have probably been inundated with SF calls and are feeling a little frazzled....as am I with three snotty whingy children to look after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now