Talk

Advanced search

Of course I'm not! I am fed up with Americanisms...

(347 Posts)
sarah293 Tue 30-Jun-09 15:55:14

Message withdrawn

bratnav Tue 30-Jun-09 15:57:29

YANBU

Can I also add the fake American accent almost all 5+ girls seem to affect to the rage-o-meter?

chevre Tue 30-Jun-09 15:58:03

chillax! riven

sarah293 Tue 30-Jun-09 15:58:50

Message withdrawn

KingRolo Tue 30-Jun-09 15:59:42

babyshower!

ImOverHere Tue 30-Jun-09 15:59:55

Theres a piece on the news about School Proms - what happened to the end of term disco?

I am with you on this one - we are British not American!

UnquietDad Tue 30-Jun-09 16:00:11

Whatever, girlfriend.

chevre Tue 30-Jun-09 16:02:03

wiggles head & points outstretched palm at unquietdad

IneedAbetterNickname Tue 30-Jun-09 16:04:50

YANBU! I hate the term 'playdate' some of my friends use it, one of them set her fb status to ' x is so excited that her baby boy has his 1st playdate today!!!!!!!!!!!' The baby was 2 weeks old, and so was his 'friend' so I suspect not a lot of playing was done! Me and another friend refuse to arrange 'playdates' for our children, they come round to play, or come over for lunch

Thunderduck Tue 30-Jun-09 16:07:01

I hate playdate too, but I don't see the problem with high school, not when the school that I went to was called St X High School.
I'd find it difficult to call it anything else.

Lulumama Tue 30-Jun-09 16:07:34

surely this is how language and cultures develop and grow... by taking bits and pieces from each others' language?

sarah293 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:07:50

Message withdrawn

Lizzylou Tue 30-Jun-09 16:08:47

Agree re: Proms, they even hire Limos and go to the hairdressers etc! I was in the hairdressers and asked this young girl who was in there for her "Practice run" when she was going to be a Bridesmaid...it was a trial run for her bloody Prom night!

Also, I give you, Trick or treating.

How did it happen that Halloween turned into a Supermarket driven tat fest?

bradsmissus Tue 30-Jun-09 16:08:49

YANBU - playdates - gah!

My DD (10) asked me the other day why cars have licence plates! Oh how I hate nickeloden!

(Bradsmissus ignores the fact that she defended DDs TV watching on the TVs in bedrooms thread!)

GrimmaTheNome Tue 30-Jun-09 16:09:13

Aren't a lot of british secondary schools still called High Schools? Mine was. there were ... County Primary Schools and ... County Highs. I'd rather have that than 'Academy' or 'College' for anything pre-6th form. A thousand or two pubescent kids is NOT a college!

Proms ...thats not merely an Americanism, its a whole change of celebration. Requiring the importation of (ugh) limos. That should definitely be resisted!

KingRolo Tue 30-Jun-09 16:09:38

The piece on the news about school proms was a little odd as they're not new at all. We've had a 6th form prom at the school I work at for at least the last 10 years.

I'm not keen on Americanisms in general but I think idea of the school prom is actually a good import - it's wonderful for the students to celebrate the end of their school days in some style rather than a grotty disco in the hall.

Kimi Tue 30-Jun-09 16:09:56

Riven, I am a bit busy at the moment to comment, so I will have to take a rain check and get back to you grin

IpeeFreely Tue 30-Jun-09 16:10:54

careful

high school = english

playdate = american

llareggub Tue 30-Jun-09 16:12:17

The phrase "suck it up" is appearing more frequently here. It irritates the hell out of me.

KingRolo Tue 30-Jun-09 16:12:47

Mind you, at our school we have 'graduation' ceremonies at the end of the school year - students 'graduate' from year 7 to 8. We all think it's a bit odd but the head likes it...

thefortbuilder Tue 30-Jun-09 16:13:14

so what else do you call a playdate? I hate it too but still end up saying it.

Den. I hate Den. we have a family room which i hate as well. but it's not a living room as it's all part of our open plan kitcheny thing.

IkeaSnake Tue 30-Jun-09 16:13:35

soctish schools are academys
you get high schools in the Midlands

posieparker Tue 30-Jun-09 16:15:44

What up girlfriend, back at ya with the americanisms.
My ds Mummy I need to go pee....WTF? Dear Boy in Blighty we say I'm going to go to the toilet, or at the very least 'wee'.

Playdate... yuk
Flower girl.... bridesmaid
Students .... no they're pupils.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 30-Jun-09 16:17:22

God, I love these threads wink grin

Thunderduck Tue 30-Jun-09 16:18:17

I'm in Scotland. Mine was most definitely a high school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now