Talk

Advanced search

to spend money on something I want?

(11 Posts)
ineedalifelaundry Tue 23-Jun-09 21:11:22

I bought some books from Amazon - spent £30. First time I've bought books for a few months. I love books. DH is an alcoholic and spends £40 a week (at least) on alcohol. I don't drink.

He thinks I've 'wasted' money buying books he doesn't approve of (he hates almost all books, especially ones that give advice on child rearing - one of my books was the mumsnet guide to toddlers)

I think it doesn't make any difference what he thinks of the books, I bought them for myself.

This whole issue is so much more complicated than that - but I don't have time to post in full.

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Jun-09 21:14:30

no, you arne;t being unreasonable. ignore him and enjoy your books

Colonelcupcake Tue 23-Jun-09 21:16:29

YANBU he is, It is not up to him when he is wasting considerably more by pouring it down the drain each week.

Is he getting help? Can he admit he has a problem yet?

My DH would never read any books I buy so I couldn't care less about what he thought about them, I wouldn't buy them for him anyway

moondog Tue 23-Jun-09 21:17:19

I can't believe you even need to question this.

morningpaper Tue 23-Jun-09 21:17:34

> one of my books was the mumsnet guide to toddlers

you are definitely NOT being unreasonable and are a lovely person with excellent taste in literature

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 23-Jun-09 21:25:04

weeellllll

You could have saved a couple of quid on the mumsnet guide and just post here everytime you want to know anything about your toddler grin

yanbu. I love books too and before discovering mumsnet I'd spend all night browsing amazon!

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 23-Jun-09 21:25:39

weeellllll

You could have saved a couple of quid on the mumsnet guide and just post here everytime you want to know anything about your toddler grin

yanbu. I love books too and before discovering mumsnet I'd spend all night browsing amazon!

Satsuma1 Tue 23-Jun-09 21:47:43

YANBU.

I love books too. The toddler Mumsnet guide is informative but also extremely funny! Well worth the money.

Your DH needs to look at his own issues and stop using you as a smoke screen.

AnyFucker Tue 23-Jun-09 21:49:45

well, you could always offload 150 pounds of stuff that is dragging you down.....

ineedalifelaundry Tue 23-Jun-09 22:42:06

He's just apologised for having a go about the books. So that's ok.

But I guess I'm mostly angry about his alcoholism. It's been going on for 13 years. He was in denial for the first 10. Now he admits it but won't seek help, just insists he's 'going to sort it in his own way / time'.

Maybe I'll pop over to the addicts topic sometime.

Thanks everyone for your support, and AnyFucker for making me laugh out loud grin

SolidGoldBrass Tue 23-Jun-09 22:48:02

Sadly, you can't make an alcoholic seek help/stop drinking until that person decides for him/herself to stop. SO you either have to accept the drinking or end the relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now