Talk

Advanced search

to not know the best way to "despatch" a mouse when it is glued to the inside of a baited cardboard box

(31 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 20-Mar-09 21:11:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spicemonster Fri 20-Mar-09 21:12:24

put it out for a cat? God that sounds horrible I have to say. Even a squashing mousetrap is better than that.

I had success with humane traps filled with Nutella

harpsichordcarrier Fri 20-Mar-09 21:12:45

I was told drowning
though I think a quick sharp whack with a brick would work too.
just don't leave the poor little feck to starve.

Thunderduck Fri 20-Mar-09 21:13:43

Yes a normal mousetrap with Nutella or chocolate as bait are much more humane and effective. Glue traps are awful.

Live traps baited with chocolate digestives worked well for us.

TheOddOne Fri 20-Mar-09 21:14:14

That sounds far more crueller than a quick snap trap. Whack with a spade?

scrooged Fri 20-Mar-09 21:15:03

A rolling pin on the neck should do the job, you could take it to the vet in the morning for the OTT humane way though. It'll cost ya!

babybarrister Fri 20-Mar-09 21:15:18

nickytwotimes Fri 20-Mar-09 21:15:48

I also thinnk you'd be better to get a head chopping one. The good ones work well. The mouse could be stuck for ages on the glue before you find it and <shudders> they chew.. well, I'm not going on.

I have no problem with the killing of vermin, but not when it will involve cruelty which these kind of traps invariably do.

dizietsma Fri 20-Mar-09 21:20:52

Even the kill traps don't work sometimes though, then what?

CherryChoc Fri 20-Mar-09 21:23:42

I didn't think those glue traps actually existed... how awful Get one that kills it quickly or an actual humane one!

KerryMumbles Fri 20-Mar-09 21:24:46

babybarrister Fri 20-Mar-09 21:27:29

5inthebed Fri 20-Mar-09 21:27:41

I thought you were meant to release the mouse back into the wild with glue traps blush

Making a mental note never to buy one.

KerryMumbles Fri 20-Mar-09 21:28:17

nickytwotimes Fri 20-Mar-09 21:38:36

Snap is the only way to go really.
Humane traps are fine in theory but are quite cruel really as they cause a great deal of distress to the mouse. Personally I think a quick death is preferable to hours of distress which usuall results in illness in the animal and a slow death.

Decent (ie pricier) traps kill efficiently.

MollieO Fri 20-Mar-09 23:33:11

I had mice. I used humane traps with a variety of different chocolates (including my absolute favourite - Thorntons viennse truffles - all I had in the house at the time!). Best fed mice in the area and didn't work at all. Eventually got polyfilla and sealed up every single tiny hole I could find in the room where they were (having left the cat flap propped open hoping they would make their own way out).

RockinSockBunnies Fri 20-Mar-09 23:39:52

I echo the snap-trap solution. My mother has mice (in the countryside - little buggers come in from the fields) and tried the humane traps. Which were all well and good until she was awoken at 3am by a frantic, scrabbling mouse. Meaning she had to get up, put on wellies, walk mouse in trap across a field a good distance, release it, go back to bed and repeat the whole process as soon as another got stuck hmm.

The other thing she managed to do was to forget she'd put the humane traps out - one day she came across one which contained the remnants of a decomposed mouse sad.

The snap traps tend to do the job quickly and accurately. Although sometimes you have to dispatch a half-dead mouse into the water butt to drown where the mechanism hasn't killed it, only maimed it.

Or, get a cat and let them do the hard work!

MadamDeathstare Sat 21-Mar-09 00:24:14

tigerdriver Sat 21-Mar-09 00:31:26

Urrgh

Get a cat.

themoon66 Sat 21-Mar-09 00:38:42

oh just drop the bloody thing in a bucket of water.

ninedragons Sat 21-Mar-09 01:43:59

They take fecking AGES to drown, I can tell you from traumatic experience. A friend who is a biologist and works with animals told me the way she does it at home is put a pencil across the back of their neck and press down hard and sharp.

babybarrister Sat 21-Mar-09 07:16:23

CherryChoc Sat 21-Mar-09 14:57:54

We used to use a humane trap with guinea pig food in when my mum's cats brought live mice in - that seemed to work.

Kimi Sat 21-Mar-09 15:04:43

When we had mice it was snap and the mouse is dead traps and rat poison just to be sure.

Hawkmoth Sat 21-Mar-09 16:52:55

You could set up a box/hose contraption and carbon monoxide them to death with your car... if you're going to be doing a lot of it.

One of our pet mice died today. Quick deterioration or DP would have faced a similar dilemma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now