Advanced search

To think I should be able to get my daughter immunised..........

(15 Posts)
lavenderbongo Tue 09-Sep-08 10:24:26

I am so angry I could explode.....

We are currently living abroad but still have our house in the UK and pop back occassionally and we are still registered at our local doctors surgery as we will be moving back in less than a year. I had my youngest dd immunised there a few weeks ago and she is now due her MMR in a few more weeks.

We cant get back to the west country in the next few weeks but we are visiting relatives in the south east in October and I was told by the nurses at my surgery in corsham that I would be able to get the MMR done at my relatives surgery whilst I was visiting them.

But Noooo. Apparently this is not possible according to the lady on reception at the surgery - They are not allowed to do this so I cant get the immunisation done. I asked why not - she just kept repeating that she had been told that they were not allowed to do this.

What exactly does she think I am trying to do? I just want my daughter protected with the MMR - I am not trying to claim anything I am not entitled to or cheat anyone. We are still paying into the NHS - we still effectively live in the UK. My DH has been sent abraod and is working for the government ffs.


tamarto Tue 09-Sep-08 10:27:08

YABU i can't get my childs immunisations done at any old surgery so why should you?

If you were being refused them at your own surgery then i'd have said YANBU.

nickytwotimes Tue 09-Sep-08 10:28:25

That's the problem with NHS Trusts - they have their own regulations.
You still have a month to make arrangements though, so perhaps you could write to the health centre manager and ask for provision to be made? Or ask to have the MMR on a prescription and collect it on arrival.

lavenderbongo Tue 09-Sep-08 10:29:19

tamarto - but what is the problem with getting it done at a different surgery as a one off - it takes just a few minutes but will protect her against some very nasty stuff?

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 10:29:22

YABU, you can't just phone up a surgery you are not registered with and demand an immunisation.

however, the receptionist could have been more helpful with advice rather than just repeating she could not do it. there must be some sort of temporary registration you can do

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 10:30:06

the person immunising your daughter does not know her medical history , so just giving an immunisation willy nilly is not a good thing.

lavenderbongo Tue 09-Sep-08 10:30:36

nickytt - thanks i think i will try the health centre manager

tamarto Tue 09-Sep-08 10:33:06

Because if they allow you then surely everyone should be allowed and where would that lead?

I agree with lulumama though, better advice and reasons should have been given.

lavenderbongo Tue 09-Sep-08 10:33:46

I was told by my surgery that if I contacted my relatives surgery and explained the situation I should be able to arrange it - So I havent just phoned up and "demanded" - and PALS also said it should be possible as a temporary patient - so I am not sure what the problem is.

However I do appreciate evryones viewpoint as It does help to calm me down a bit.

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 10:34:53

phone back and say you need to register as a temporary patient

3andnomore Tue 09-Sep-08 10:36:41

why can't you get the immunisation done where you are living?

scaryteacher Tue 09-Sep-08 11:40:47

Whereabouts are you Lavender? I am in Belgium too...just outside Brussels. If your H works for either of the Military Staffs or Milreps then could it not be done at Sterrebeek by the Brit doc? I am assuming from the mention of Corsham that you are military or attached to it.

bloomingfedup Tue 09-Sep-08 11:57:12

YABU - you can't just get these things done at your own convience.

lavenderbongo Tue 09-Sep-08 13:06:53

scaryteacher - no not military just happen to live in corsham.

Getting an english speaking doctor near us is tricky and the immunisation system is slightly diffirent - our docs in the uk just suggested since we were popping back every now and then we could get it done there.

2beornot2be Tue 09-Sep-08 13:16:52

So can't your Dr forward on a letter to the local surgery or phone them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now