<hands KM some choc and ear muffs>

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:41:57

ah

ta puss! smile

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 27-Aug-08 21:43:15

Well I can hardly wade in with a 'ooh they never bother me comment' can I wink

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:45:46

grin

I called the club down the road that owns the place.

MAGIC

It's off.

At least for now.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 27-Aug-08 21:46:44

YANBU! We have them going off where we are on houses. They don't always shut off. I used to put a note through the door each morning 'Thanks for the wake up call at 5am this morning with the alarm' 'Thanks again for the alarm call at 12am, it was just waht my family needed!' and so on...!!

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:49:25

alarms shouldn't be allowed unless they activate a service that comes out to investigate and TURN THE DAMN THING OFF

amytheearwaxbanisher Wed 27-Aug-08 21:52:01

i never knock mine on when i go out they always go off for no reason [all weekend sometimes around here] and when they do go off nobody does anything but give out about the noise!do they ever detere robbers?i think the phonewatch ones are the only ones that do any good

Hulababy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:52:14

Err....no!

Having been burgled once I feel more secure having an alarm, thanks.

Ours shuts off after a bit I think anyway.

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:52:48

You THINK????

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:53:34

It's like the boy who cried wolf. If the alarm is going off ALL the time no one takes any notice when you really ARE being burgled.

MonMoo Wed 27-Aug-08 21:54:47

they drive me mad too. As do car alarms. Why do they always seem to go off when you have just got the baby to sleep. Ping, the eyes open and the face starts to crumple and you're back to square one.

whatdayisit Wed 27-Aug-08 21:55:09

AND WHEN THEY KNOW THEY'RE FAULTY AND WILL GO OFF AT THE SLIGHTEST PUFF OF WIND, WHY DO THEY STILL SET THEM?? SCHOOL ACROSS THE ROAD, EVERY NIGHT FOR A WEEK.

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 27-Aug-08 21:55:32

The police won't come out here to an alarm, they want you to go and look to see if there is any eveidence of a break in first... ..yeah..I will go out in my jim jams and have a look shall I?!

Hula - you think it shuts off, but you aren't sure? grin

Hulababy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:55:34

I may not deter a burglar generally, but If I have one and a neighbour doesn't - who are they most likely to go to? The one without - as we found out the bad way. I work on the idea that if my pklace is a tougher bet to get into that a neighbours it reduces my chances.

Hulababy Wed 27-Aug-08 21:56:33

Not sure; it's never just gone off s far - fingers crossed. I think it is supposed to.

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 22:00:19

I'm sure your feckin neighbors would appreciate you KNOWING that it does.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 27-Aug-08 22:04:26

my alarm was one of those annoying alarms a few months ago. the bloody thing is wired into the elctrics and we ran out of electric at 3am in the morning <babysitter didnt bother telling us that the emergency had gone on and the meter is too high to see how much is left on> by 4am the back up battery had ran out and the bloody thing was screaming for ten minutes off for ten minutes and putting in the code did not stop it. it made it worse!!!!

i was just as annoyed as the nighbours. if not more so as i was the one trawling the streets at 4am in pissing down rain trying to find somewhere to get electric, which i eventaully did and the bloody thing just got louder. i then had to trail through the yellow pages to get some one to come and fix it for us. i didnt even have it set in the first place. we never use it as i dont know how to switch off cetain zones and we have cats that would be setting it off all the time.

i have more understanding now when it comes to alarms going off at ungodly hours.

FuriousGeorge Wed 27-Aug-08 22:04:35

.I used to work in the security business & it used to be the case that alarms should only be able to ring for 20 minutes before resetting themselves & silencing.You also used to have to let your local police station have your & 2 local keyholders details so they could enter the house & shut it off if need be.

Off course,this only went for professionally fitted systems-I suppose with DIY jobs no one has to tell any one any contact details.However,Environmental health have powers to deal with pwersistant offenders.

One of the reasons they go off this time of year,is thunderbugs.They are so tiny that they can crawl inside the detectors,crawl across the PIR beam & set the alarm off.

whatdayisit Wed 27-Aug-08 22:09:42

20 minutes in the middle of the night is way too long!

AccidentalMum Wed 27-Aug-08 22:15:47

YA sooooo NBU. In what way does anyone think a basic, no response service alarm deters burglers?

whatdayisit Wed 27-Aug-08 22:19:57

And if it's just a deterent, you can just put the box up and let me sleep!!!

KerryMum Wed 27-Aug-08 22:26:59

EXACTLY wdit

LittleDorrit Wed 27-Aug-08 22:56:32

YANBU !!!!! It drives me mad - it has happened in my street in London quite a few times.
20 min is an incredibly long time.
I know that in Australia it is illegal to have alarms that go for longer than 5 min.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now