Talk

Advanced search

To book a holiday for Feb half term now which takes dd out of school for 2 days...

(18 Posts)
CountessDracula Tue 19-Aug-08 09:50:38

because prices for flights seem to be climbing alarmingly.

I obv can't get the school's agreement as they are on holiday.

They can't stop me taking her out for 2 days can they?

RustyBear Tue 19-Aug-08 09:57:49

Yes, of course they can, CD - they will chain her to her dedk the day before you go and hide the key...
grin

No, all they can do is say it is unauthorised & it will then appear on her report as 'unauthorised absences: 4' (because most schools count morning and afternoon registration separately)

A lot of schools are now clamping down on authorised non-medical absences - at the school I work at we were told (unofficially) that this is the next thing OFSTED are going to be making a fuss about - don't know if that's actually true.

RustyBear Tue 19-Aug-08 09:58:06

desk

Blackduck Tue 19-Aug-08 09:58:28

I'd do it. I am arleady planning to take ds out for a couple of days next summer (dp at a conference and we will join him...). DS's school would like a form completed and thats about it....Friends are taking their son out for at least a week at Xmas (off to thailand...)

Podrick Tue 19-Aug-08 09:59:41

sOme schools are now issuing fines

CountessDracula Tue 19-Aug-08 10:00:39

Well it's too late as I have already done it!

Thanks
that's great
They do get shitty about it but honestly I think it will be more educational for her to be slobbing on the beach visting rainforests and waterfalls and experiencing other cultures than being at school the 2 days before half term

belgo Tue 19-Aug-08 10:00:40

how old is she?

CountessDracula Tue 19-Aug-08 10:01:02

she is 5
will be 6

Y1

belgo Tue 19-Aug-08 10:01:11

where's the holiday? I would probably do the same btw.

CountessDracula Tue 19-Aug-08 10:03:38

Tobago
Same place we have been 4x
They have changed the flights now to go on Thursdays not Saturdays angry
But I managed to find some that in a round about way went on the Thurs and back on the Sun (they have inset day on the mon) so the thought of 10 nights vs 7 was too tempting

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 19-Aug-08 10:04:12

Frankly at this age I can't really see what the problem is - especially as they

a) usually finish early on the last day of school
b) seem only to watch DVDs/play games for the last couple of days

We have done it and I have always been surprised by the reaction from the school - one school wanted a very detailed form completed, asking for permission, for one day off, the other school accepted our request straight away, over the phone, on the basis that DS1 was a model pupil and had good attendance!

There's always the 'off sick' option, of course ....

Blackduck Tue 19-Aug-08 10:06:12

CD did you get my mail? In the end we went to St Lucia - wonderful!

mumto2andnomore Tue 19-Aug-08 10:11:13

Im taking my children out (9 and 5) for the day before half term as the flights were £200 cheaper and Im a teacher myself ! Cant see the problem with the odd day.

tiredemma Tue 19-Aug-08 10:12:29

We have done this many times CD. Neither child appears to be struggling academically...

HappypillsGalore Tue 19-Aug-08 21:26:39

ooh, i am jealous as hell...
envy

not least of the ability to book stuff and then just have it there to look forward to. rather than have vague conversations about things that sound nice but never concrete anything... gotta work on that wink

AbbaFan Tue 19-Aug-08 21:31:41

I can take DC's out for 10 days a year, anything more than that is unauthorized.

HappypillsGalore Tue 19-Aug-08 21:40:38

id do it; take them out i mean.
its my dp who gets all funny about it.
baffles me tbh
theyre only now going into y1, reception and nursery class.
what can they possibly miss that would hold them back in some way??
<rolls eyes>

AbbeyA Tue 19-Aug-08 21:51:27

In our LEA you can no longer have 10 days-I expect the rest of the country will follow. You can go but it is marked on the register as unauthorised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now