Talk

Advanced search

While on the subject of dishwashers - AIBU to put jars/tins in teh dishwasher before sticking in the recycling?

(42 Posts)
MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 12:28:35

mate says so

says there's no point recycling if I'm going to put them in my dishwasher monster first

They don't have a special wash - just get bunged in with the daily pots

I don't think IABU

But if IABU, I will ignore you all and continue to wash em in the dishwasher.

WilfSell Tue 22-Jul-08 12:30:06

not U, just anally retentive grin

SoupDragon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:30:29

You're not being unreasonable but you are being a loon. Just rinse them.

JackieNo Tue 22-Jul-08 12:30:39

I've wondered. But if it's going on anyway, why not do them? Only a problem if you were doing an extra wash for the recycling stuff, imo.

JackieNo Tue 22-Jul-08 12:31:00

(it is a bit Hyacinth Bouquet, thoughgrin)

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 12:31:26

but they might SMELL if they're just rinsed!

NomDePlume Tue 22-Jul-08 12:32:29

that's a bit mental if you ask me but then I rarely so much as rinse mine under the tap so perhaps I am the wrong slattern person to ask...

lljkk Tue 22-Jul-08 12:32:57

I feel it goes against the point of recycling to dishwasher them. I tend to rinse them in the left over water after we have washed the stuff that can't go in DW.

That said, if I have a nearly full load for the DW, and I really want ot run the DW, I tend to stick bits and pieces of hardest-to-clean recyclables in the corners to fill it up & then run DW.

Backgammon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:32:57

I always put tuna tins in the dishwasher first, otherwise it would be minging.

Plus, our dogs take down the recycling bag and rummage through it if anything in there smells of food.

Backgammon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:33:35

(don't do a special recycling wash though, just bung them in when it's full)

ThatBigGermanPrison Tue 22-Jul-08 12:33:50

YANBU

I was mine

I have a fear of maggots. Someone told me they didn't wash their cat food tins and their recycling tub got (Les Dawson undertone) <<infested>>

RubySlippers Tue 22-Jul-08 12:35:04

bree van der camp alert wink

wipe the worst of the food out and MAYBE a quick rinse if they are awful

mrsgboring Tue 22-Jul-08 12:35:16

My dishwasher uses 18 litres of water for a full load - that's two washing up bowls full. I could probably use half a bowlful just on one jamjar if I rinsed it, so I reckon it's a more efficient way of doing it.

No to unwashed beantins and jamjars in my box, attracting wasps, rats, badgers, tigers etc.

Thisismynewname Tue 22-Jul-08 12:35:33

<sorry for hijack>

ThatBigGermanPrison - did you used to be Auschwitz? If so, why aren't you called ThatBigPolishConcentrationCamp?

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 12:35:56

I empty my dw in the morning and then fill it up during the day and run it at night. There is always room for the odd jar/tin that I've used and if I didn't put them in, I'd still have to run it IYKWIM - there wuldn't be enough room left to, say, leave until the next morning to stick the breakfast bits in

<defensive>

<looks at all your smelly kitchens>

Backgammon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:36:34

Ooh yes, definitely put jam jars, marmite jars, bean tins etc in dishwasher first.

MehgaLegs Tue 22-Jul-08 12:36:51

LOL JackieNo - I called DH Hyacinth Bukcet when I caughth him putting milk bottles in our dishwasher

Backgammon Tue 22-Jul-08 12:37:30

MamaG YA definitely NBU. It's more efficient/greener to put them in a dishwasher that's being run anyway than to wash them separately.

JackieNo Tue 22-Jul-08 12:37:40

Mine always get washed up, with the stuff that can't go in the dishwasher. So no smells here <defensive>
grin

WendyWeber Tue 22-Jul-08 12:39:02

There wouldn't be space in mine, I can never fit everything in anyway.

Soak 'em for a few minutes, then the labels come off easily & you can put them in the paper recycling too.

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 12:39:18

<sniffs in J-No's direction>

EVERYTHING gets put in my DW, I don't wash anything up except crystal wine glasses

Guadalupe Tue 22-Jul-08 12:41:47

I put jars in but not tins, I give them a quick rinse. Things always seem to be stuck to jars more, probably as you use them longer whereas a tin is emptied straightaway.

WendyWeber Tue 22-Jul-08 12:41:50

Oh, we have an actual wheelie bin for our recycling now so no dogs, cats, foxes or maggots.

Blu Tue 22-Jul-08 12:44:34

<<ponders the amount of electricity used to discuss this via the internet>>

MamaG Tue 22-Jul-08 12:44:54

<snigger> blu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now