Talk

Advanced search

Holiday cottage, can’t believe what just happened!

(302 Posts)
Holidayshocker Tue 07-Jul-20 18:18:34

DH and I are staying in a UK holiday cottage which is all on ground level. There’s a public footpath running past it, but the actual cottage is on its own piece of land with a fenced off front/side garden.

I was just sitting in the living room when this woman came up and started knocking quite hard on the window. I was a bit taken aback, but thought she might need help, so I opened the window and asked if she was ok. A man was standing behind her but a bit away from her, so she’d come off the public path and into our garden, so to speak.

Asked if she was ok, she said ‘yes, fine, I just wanted to look in the cottage, can you let me in for a look?‘ I was like, WTF and said, ‘sorry, no, we are on holiday here. You can look at pictures online.’

She then got really shitty with me, rolled her eyes and said again, ‘I just want to see what it’s like, I won’t steal from you.’ So I said no again, and shut the window. She then shouted that she was going to go around all the windows and look in them! DH had been in the bathroom while this was happening but then came out and also told her no and not to be so ridiculous. So this woman then marched around the cottage, peering into the windows! Honestly, I was utterly gobsmacked - who does that?! She even tried the door and then shouted that she was going to come back tomorrow and get the caretaker to show her round.

It was fucking mental. Her DH (I assume) didn’t take part in any of this but just stood back looking a bit embarrassed, but she was totally blatant. After looking in all the windows, she finally stormed off.

But she surely can’t come back and demand the caretaker show her around, can she? I mean, it’s a holiday cottage, but we paid to be here, it’s not a fucking show home.

OP’s posts: |
Goingdownto Tue 07-Jul-20 18:20:36

You will have paid for sole occupancy. Except I suppose for essential repairs that might need to happen.
Of course she can't come in!

OliviaBenson Tue 07-Jul-20 18:21:07

I'd contact the owner and tell them what happened and ask for assurances that they won't be back/allowed access. How horrible for you!!

CodenameVillanelle Tue 07-Jul-20 18:21:13

Of course she can't! Can you speak to the caretaker now?

Rollercoaster1920 Tue 07-Jul-20 18:21:21

Happens to residents in postcard towns and villages scarily often I'm afraid! Some people are just weird.

BumblePan Tue 07-Jul-20 18:21:31

Very odd behaviour! You were absolutely right.

bestbrowsintown Tue 07-Jul-20 18:22:32

Christ that's awful. I'd let the owner know what happened.

EvilPea Tue 07-Jul-20 18:22:52

What a terrible woman!! You’ve paid good money to not be disturbed. I’d just keep the curtains shut and doors locked.

YabbaDabbaHooooo Tue 07-Jul-20 18:23:06

Let the owner know!

Thisischaos Tue 07-Jul-20 18:23:14

Contact the owner/caretaker and tell them what happened, and ask for assurances that she will not be given a viewing while you are staying there.

Incidentally, how did she know it’s a holiday cottage for rent? We’ve stayed in many holiday cottages and none have had a sign outside advertising it.

ShirleyPhallus Tue 07-Jul-20 18:24:24

Get a supersoaker and apply a gentle blast if she returns

lifesalongsong Tue 07-Jul-20 18:26:10

Are you sure she knew it was a holiday cottage?

Obviously it's weird behaviour but she might have done it even if you were the owner. Personally I'd see it as a funny holiday anecdote, it's nothing personal to you, no harm done unless you think she was casing the joint to come back later and steal your stuff.

Deelish75 Tue 07-Jul-20 18:26:19

She tried the door? I’d definitely speak to the owner. What an oddball!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Tue 07-Jul-20 18:26:31

I'd have (been very tempted to) clock her direction of travel and then treat her to a Goatse at the next window she arrived at grin

YenniferOfVengeberg Tue 07-Jul-20 18:28:39

What's a goatse?

CoraPirbright Tue 07-Jul-20 18:29:37

Urrgh!! What an appalling specimen! I would get the caretaker to v politely take her name & number (to ensure the owner never is exposed to such an awful tenant) then tell her to fuck the fuck off!

Firstawake Tue 07-Jul-20 18:30:53

Get your camera ready for tomorrow.
In all seriousnes that's awful behaviour.
flowers

tilder Tue 07-Jul-20 18:31:36

Yes as YenniferOfVengeberg asked, what's a goatse?

gavisconismyfriend Tue 07-Jul-20 18:32:01

Ridiculous behaviour! Never acceptable, but especially not in times of social distancing! You were quite right to stand your ground OP.

Raella50 Tue 07-Jul-20 18:32:02

What a loon!!!

IwishIhadaMargarita Tue 07-Jul-20 18:32:23

The caretaker will tell her it’s not possible as it’s occupied so ignore her but keep the door locked.

MotherMorph Tue 07-Jul-20 18:32:44

I often recognise holiday cottages from websites, notice lots of places in holiday areas having key safes next to the front door , holiday makers and cleaners coming in and out on fridays or saturdays are signs of a holiday cottage, so not especially weird she knew it was a holiday let.
However I think her behaviour was very rude and out of order!

merrymouse Tue 07-Jul-20 18:33:49

But she surely can’t come back and demand the caretaker show her around, can she? I mean, it’s a holiday cottage, but we paid to be here, it’s not a fucking show home.

No. I would definitely contact the owner. This is very odd behaviour.

Sexnotgender Tue 07-Jul-20 18:33:53

What a bloody loon!

MrsExpo Tue 07-Jul-20 18:34:09

We once stayed in a cottage which was the annexe to a larger property next door (the owner's home). It was on the market at the time.

We came back from a day out one day and were told that they'd had a viewing on the property while we were out and "hoped we didn't mind" them showing people round. It felt very odd and intrusive, so I hope your nutt ball woman doesn't come back OP. (We handy tidied up either, so I hope they enjoyed a few dishes in the sink and odds an ends lying round).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in