Talk

Advanced search

If you are gay or lesbian, are you happy to be described as LGBT, as in I am LGBT?

(30 Posts)
loveyouradvice Mon 29-Jun-20 17:47:20

Just that really... i saw that 2 of the Reading victims, both men, were described as "they were both LGBT", rather than they were both gay which read strangely to me....

I would like to understand whether people nowadays define themselves as I am LGBT. As an older woman, growing up my friends were clear they were Gay or Lesbian or Bi or Trans - Is this not still the case? As I am x and part of the LGBT community, rather than "I am LGBT"?

OP’s posts: |
PawPatrolMakesMeDrink Mon 29-Jun-20 17:52:35

I’ve never known anyone say ‘I am LGBT’ in place of stating their sexuality when needed. I certainly don’t, I’m just plain old bisexual.
It’s probably a shite journalist.

LadyFidgetAndHerHandbag Mon 29-Jun-20 17:54:21

I wouldn't use it myself but it wouldn't bother me if someone used it to describe me.

riotlady Mon 29-Jun-20 17:55:47

Yeah I’m happy to be included under the LGBT umbrella when talking broadly or for organisations but I would never say “I am LGBT”, that would sound really weird to me.

Toughtips Mon 29-Jun-20 17:57:09

Wouldn't say I'd be unhappy but I would use it to describe myself.

ClaryFray Mon 29-Jun-20 18:09:10

I'm bi, and I hate the phrase. I am a person, not a collective hive mind.

Think of the lgbt+ people... as if we're all the same !

Gah!

Veterinari Mon 29-Jun-20 18:10:33

Surely it's simply inaccurate unless the individual is somehow all of those things?

maddening Mon 29-Jun-20 18:14:09

I think the need to be labelled according sexual preferences or what you wear is ridiculous. My sexuality is not the main thing about me.

whereorwhere Mon 29-Jun-20 18:15:24

Interesting this ... I was at an event recently and the presenter said 'I identify as lesbian' I thought how can you identify as lesbian you are either a lesbian or you aren't surely? It's your sexuality not your identity?

justonecottonpickingminute Mon 29-Jun-20 18:16:22

I am a lesbian not an alphabet.

Starbuggy Mon 29-Jun-20 18:16:49

I think “part of the LGBT community” is far better than “they’re LGBT”. But then people may not feel part of a community, especially at the moment there’s tensions mainly about the T.

ShirleyPhallus Mon 29-Jun-20 18:17:04

whereorwhere

Interesting this ... I was at an event recently and the presenter said 'I identify as lesbian' I thought how can you identify as lesbian you are either a lesbian or you aren't surely? It's your sexuality not your identity?

This is interesting, because isn’t there a discussion around whether the LGBT umbrella should include all of those as LGB are sexuality and T is identity.

Notss Mon 29-Jun-20 18:24:24

My brother’s gay and we’ve had a similar discussion before. He says he would prefer not to be referred to by his sexuality at all, but if it were particularly relevant he would prefer to just be called gay.

If I remember correctly the main reason was that he felt being referred to as “LGBT” or “part of the LGBT community” implied things about his political beliefs that were not true.

CluelessBaker Mon 29-Jun-20 18:25:21

I’m bisexual and would describe myself as bi. I’m happy to say I’m part of the LGBT+ community or have other people describe me as being part of that community, but I don’t think I would say ‘I’m LGBT’ unless as quick shorthand when specifically discussing the entire community rather than just my own experiences.

I think it can sometimes be helpful to talk about ‘being LGBT’ when discussing solidarity / mutual support etc, but I wouldn’t want to do it to co-opt anyone’s struggle. I know that the specific prejudices / difficulties I’ve experienced as a bisexual aren’t necessarily the same as those experiences by lesbians or trans people, and it wouldn’t be right for me to claim to speak for them.

drayco Mon 29-Jun-20 18:26:06

I'm neither but have discussed this at lengths with gay friends male and female and none of them want to be lumped in with T because it's a completely different thing.

They find it frustrating.

I have to agree.

Thisismytimetoshine Mon 29-Jun-20 18:26:53

Nobody is all of those things, it's a ridiculous label.

BeyondDreamsOfBeyondFourWalls Mon 29-Jun-20 18:27:57

I'm a lesbian (and no, I don't identify as one, I just am), I am just about okay with use of "gay". LGB community at an absolute push, but I want sweet FA to do with the T and Q+

joystir59 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:28:29

I'm a lesbian. I particularly do not accept the T

Thisismytimetoshine Mon 29-Jun-20 18:29:44

The T should definitely form no part of it.

joystir59 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:30:32

I also do not identify as a lesbian, I am one, I fit the definition of biological female attracted to other biological females

Butterer Mon 29-Jun-20 18:31:22

I find the all inclusive LGBT to not quite work because the LGB part is about sexuality, whereas the T part is gender identity - they're completely separate things.
I'm old enough* to remember local groups just being 'lesbian and gay' - it took a while before 'bisexual' was included as a default.

*I realised the other day that my first Pride was 25 years ago. Bit taken aback by that grin

CluelessBaker Mon 29-Jun-20 18:32:08

Since others are weighing in I personally have no problem with the T and am happy to fight for the rights of the trans community alongside the rights of gay, lesbian and bisexual people (plus pansexual, asexual, aromatic etc. I’ve no desire to pull the ladder up behind me).

Butterer Mon 29-Jun-20 18:34:15

^ sorry, I've just re-read the OP and my post, and I'm rambling like Grandpa Simpson grin

I'd not use any of the suggested options on the OP; I'm bi and that's it - I don't really consider myself to be part of any community.

Scarlettpixie Mon 29-Jun-20 18:37:43

I wonder why their sexuality is in any way relevant To the article unless that was the motive for the attack - which I thought was random..

rosiejaune Mon 29-Jun-20 18:37:56

Maybe it was clear that they were queer, but not in which way? So they used the umbrella description.

If that is the case, it's good that they did that, as bi people often get erased, as people often assume if you are currently in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex you are straight, and someone of the same sex that you are gay.

Or maybe one was gay and one was bi.

Phrasing it as "members of the LGBT community" might be less clunky than "LGBT" for a specific person though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »