Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd? Neighbours

(142 Posts)
NoRoomInBed Wed 10-Jun-20 16:07:50

So everyone loves a neighbours thread. My issue is we have a trampoline in the garden. I keep finding next doors kids on it. They are 6 and 4. They open the gate and jump on.

My kids are not using it atm. its lockdown. Should I let them use it. They are probably going crazy from boredom.
It's slightly annoying me but at the same time I kinda understand.

OP’s posts: |
Toppingpoint Wed 10-Jun-20 16:08:49

Can’t you lock the gate?

Bargebill19 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:10:06

Lock the gate and stick a notice in it saying private.
If those kids injure themselves guess who will get the blame - you.

Twickerhun Wed 10-Jun-20 16:11:01

Why aren’t your kids using it?

ToelessPobble Wed 10-Jun-20 16:11:17

That's crazy. No don't let them as if they have an accident you will hold responsibility sadly. Why on earth are their parents not watching them at that age? Massively CF parents for letting them go in your garden, particularly without asking.

Purplepeonies Wed 10-Jun-20 16:12:07

That's so awkward. Agree with above, can you not put a lock on the gate? What's your relationship like with your neighbours?

Purplepeonies Wed 10-Jun-20 16:12:33

Also, they are of course, total CFs!

Iloveacurry Wed 10-Jun-20 16:14:46

Lock the gate. Also if they had an accident, the parents might blame you.

DoesJeffKnow Wed 10-Jun-20 16:15:42

Sounds like you don't know the family very well or you would have chatted with them about this.

Put a lock on your door. Yes, it sounds mean but if your neighbour's kid gets a broken arm or something from falling off your trampoline they could come after you for compensation.

SpillTheTeaa Wed 10-Jun-20 16:15:42

No I would not let them use it. That's so rude. I'd be mortified if my DS let himself in someone's garden and started using the trampoline. Time to padlock that gate!

NoseHair Wed 10-Jun-20 16:15:57

Lock the gate and tell the parents to have a word.

lanthanum Wed 10-Jun-20 16:16:20

I expect the instructions say that only one person should use it at a time. Up to you whether you mind them using it, perhaps at specific times, but if you do, I'd be inclined to insist that if you find more than one of them on it at once, or using it without parental supervision, you will lock the gate. I would also make it very clear that they are responsible if the children are injured. If yours have outgrown it, offer to sell it (with instruction manual).

ImInYourMindFuzz Wed 10-Jun-20 16:17:28

Why are you not allowing your own children to use it??

Lock the gate to stop the entering. Politely have a word with the neighbours that you have noticed their children coming into your garden and tell them it has to stop (injuries for one, and two who wants random neighbour children in the garden?) if your kids get on and they like to play together say they can knock on the front door and ask to play once social distancing isn’t required anymore.

Disinfect the trampoline before you let your kids on if you’re worried.

Bluntness100 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:17:57

Have you previously said they can use it op?

BrightYellowDaffodil Wed 10-Jun-20 16:18:36

I would say no on principle as their parents are abusing your good nature by allowing their kids to come onto your property and use your belongings without the common courtesy to ask if it's OK.

Lock on the gate and landmines .

Bluntness100 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:18:42

Why are you not allowing your own children to use it

She didn’t say she’s wasn’t allowing them, she said they weren’t using it, which could be their choice totally.

20viona Wed 10-Jun-20 16:18:45

That is so rude of their parents to allow them to do this! Lock the gate and tell the parents get their own bloody trampoline.

Lynda07 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:19:32

They should have asked you. I'd dismantle and put in the shed but definitely put a lock on the gate, no one should come on to your property without your permission.

Why are your children not using it during lockdown? It's in your garden, not against any guidelines.

ThisShitCrazy Wed 10-Jun-20 16:21:24

6 & 4 is very young to be out there without parental supervision. Would it technically be your responsibility as they are on your property?

It's a no from me OP

cakeandchampagne Wed 10-Jun-20 16:24:56

Lock the gate.
If the children get hurt, you could have expensive legal problems.

UnfinishedSymphon Wed 10-Jun-20 16:26:22

Jeez, chill out people, maybe OP's kids don't want to use it at the moment

SnakesandKnives Wed 10-Jun-20 16:33:58

The parents may not know. Kids are not always aware of the concept of ownership. I think calling anyone a CF from this info is a bit rich.

Given the number of accidents that happen on trampolines there is no way on god’s earth I would allow someone else’s children to use it when their parents may not know and you would be responsible. Big risk IMO

TheFlis12345 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:38:38

You would hope the parents of a 4 year old would know where they are at all times! Of course they know the kids are using it.

Susanna85 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:43:58

Where are the parents? Why can other people access your garden, are you purposely leaving it open?

Unless the parents have asked you first, they shouldn't be letting their kids on it. But lock your gate.
If they do ask you it would be kind to let them occasionally - supervised by the parents.

MyOwnSummer Wed 10-Jun-20 17:07:01

Unless you're insured, they can come after you for compensation if anyone gets hurt. Also, they are massively CF (the parents) for allowing this and not supervising their kids properly.

If your kids are done with it, why not offer to sell it to them?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »