Advanced search

AIBU and mad to look for a new job at this current time?

(13 Posts)
WishingOnACarrot Mon 25-May-20 08:20:42

Posted in "work" , but opening it up to see wider views.

I have worked for the same company for over ten years. Professional role. Am paid higher than my job grade but recently refused promotion due to potential implications of Covid19 and the changing needs of the business. The company has admitted that they have changed the goalposts of the promotion criteria. The promotion would have changed my job title but day to day work would have remained pretty much the same. I am already performing at that higher level. My role is also part time, supportive team, nice colleagues, interesting work, understanding boss regarding various usual and typical young children childcare commitments. But, since the promotion was refused I feel flat and bitter. I was told I probably would have had it if it wasn't for Covid19. Overall I see my job as secure. Would I be completely mad to consider changing jobs in this current uncertain climate? I've seen a job advertised that ticks a lot of boxes, including being part time, but it is a start up company... I don't know the salary - and I would imagine I may need to take a pay cut potentially. It would be a good way of getting my foot on a related but slightly different ladder. If it weren't for the pandemic I'd apply. Just looking for a bit of advice really, as if I'm being honest I'm not sure if I'm more enthusiastic about resigning and telling my current company where they can stick their job (childish I know!) than actually doing the new job. I'm very confused. Anyone have any advice or able to provide some food for thought?

Or let me know if AIBU to consider a new role?

OP’s posts: |
Nappyvalley15 Mon 25-May-20 08:30:09

Stay put for now. Too much uncertainty. See how things are after Christmas.

WishingOnACarrot Mon 25-May-20 11:55:13

Thanks Nappyvalley15 anyone else?

OP’s posts: |
Sparklesocks Mon 25-May-20 11:59:03

I think a start up role in this climate is a double whammy of uncertainty I’m afraid. It’s one thing if you possibly left to join a very established company, but start ups can be a bit wonky at the best of times - let alone when the economy is so shaky.

A friend of mine left her job of 5 years to join a tech start up and within 6 months they’d gone bust so she lost her job. I know that’s only one anecdote and there are start ups which do succeed, but it just seems too risky to leave a stable role at the moment. Sorry I know that probably isn’t what you want to hear!

returnofthecat Mon 25-May-20 12:01:36

I understand how you feel, but in the current climate, I'd stay put for the redundancy, employment and furlough rights.

Plan your escape for next year.

phyllidia Mon 25-May-20 12:02:33

You have more employment/redundancy rights in a job you've been in for more than 2 years if things go more south.

CareBear50 Mon 25-May-20 12:31:36

I'd stay put OP. Too much uncertainty just now.

dontdisturbmenow Mon 25-May-20 12:34:53

It's up to you, but from what you've written, it sounds like you have much to lose thinking the grass is greener elsewhere.

At the same time, you could be left to always wonder what if.

No one can advise you which decision is best, all that we can advise on is that whatever decision you make, you need to live by it and not wonder what it would be like if you'd made the other one.

JellyBellies Mon 25-May-20 12:37:25

I'm changing jobs next month. But it's to a bigger company. However the one I am leaving is one that is certain to survive Covid because of what they do. The one I am going to hopefully will but their market is not guaranteed.

It is a risk but I have decided that its one I am happy to take.

NewnameOldposter Mon 25-May-20 12:42:37

What if you took some time to get your CV together/LinkedIn updated, then look for other roles.

Don't jump ship just for the sake of it, but use your feelings to work on moving forward. Then, when you find the right role to go for, you're ready.

Waveysnail Mon 25-May-20 12:45:39

Nope stay put. You were only refused due to covid. A tests time and things could be very different

WishingOnACarrot Wed 27-May-20 10:23:13

Thanks all for responding to me. I'm going to hold fire for now and stay put and then start looking when things are more stable. There's too much uncertainty at the moment.

OP’s posts: |
ComtesseDeSpair Wed 27-May-20 10:26:59

I’ve just changed jobs but from one secure role and sector into another. I know a lot of people on the London start-up scene and they are floundering - albeit trying their best to portray otherwise, as is the showman nature of many entrepreneurs. I’d stay where you are, or at least only but tentative feelers out for what the market looks like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »