Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is horrific?

(65 Posts)
EmmaGrundyForPM Thu 21-May-20 13:18:32

I've just read an article about a new US reality show where the concept is that men compete to impregnate a woman who wants a baby.
Labor of Love: the baby-making reality show you won't believe

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/21/labor-of-love-kristin-davis-fox?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I know we've had some awful ideas for shows before, but this one has the end result of producing a baby. It feels like some sort of dystopian alternative universe except it's actually a thing.

MatildaTheCat Thu 21-May-20 13:22:05

Oh my.

CloudyVanilla Thu 21-May-20 13:23:16

What the actual fuck this is disgusting. How bizarre and distasteful!!

LaurieFairyCake Thu 21-May-20 13:23:27

But wouldn't they then have to pay child support for decades?

BojoKilledMyMojo Thu 21-May-20 13:24:55

Most reality TV is grim. I don't think this is really much different in so much as those who want to take part know what it entails.

Igotthemheavyboobs Thu 21-May-20 13:25:27

From the video it looks like she is looking for a partner to parent with. It is basically a dating show but the main woman is looking for characteristics that 'make a good father'.

Anotheruser02 Thu 21-May-20 13:27:32

I couldn't finish that article, it was too uncomfortable. YANBU.

CuriousaboutSamphire Thu 21-May-20 13:31:03

Holy shit!

EmmaGrundyForPM Thu 21-May-20 13:31:46

@Igotthemheavyboobs. I couldn't bring myself to watch the video. I know that dating shows exist but this is one step too far.

Theres a big difference between telling your child that Mummy and Daddy met on a dating show, fell in love, etc etc then decided to have said child, to telling the child that they were deliberately and directly conceived as a result of a reality TV show.

zscaler Thu 21-May-20 13:33:53

She’s going to have a baby with one of these gibbering corned beef statues. Their relationship will falter. The child will grow up and discover how they came into being and embark on an unbreakable cycle of destructive behaviour that leaves a permanent trail of regret behind them

Stu Heritage really does have a way with words.

borntohula Thu 21-May-20 13:35:32

Horrific but not surprising...

deydododatdodontdeydo Thu 21-May-20 13:46:56

Are you sure it isn't a Black Mirror episode?

MorganKitten Thu 21-May-20 13:52:44

It’s basically a sperm doner but on tv...

CarolefeckinBaskin Thu 21-May-20 14:03:26

It's fucking grim as well as irresponsible.
I don't like the reality shite on TV - Geordie shaw, love island etc... but each to their own but this!
Words fail me.

Quarantimespringclean Thu 21-May-20 14:07:53

@MorganKitten that’s a very unfortunate typo!! I love the occasional doner kebab but I don’t think I’d want a sperm doner!!

Meruem Thu 21-May-20 14:13:27

I thought before reading the article, for some reason, that she would sleep with all the men (or have their sperm inseminated) and find out in 9 months who the father is! So with that in mind, it isn't quite as bad as I first thought! Dating shows are all shite anyway, well virtually all reality tv is. Problem is, they wouldn't make it if people didn't watch this sort of crap so someone is.

TooSadToSay Thu 21-May-20 14:15:34

How does shit like this not need an ethics review? I mean WTF.

DailyMailcanfuckthefuckoff Thu 21-May-20 14:15:38

"Labor of Love is so terrible that it doesn’t even feel like a television series. It feels like a document designed to be presented to God as an argument for the total eradication of the human race."

I laughed and laughed and laughed at this article. WTF Fox?!

cologne4711 Thu 21-May-20 14:15:51

Meruem, I thought the same! But it still sounds fairly yucky.

SuperlativeScrubs Thu 21-May-20 14:16:13

Are we ignoring the fact that Kristin Davis no longer even looks like herself? At least in the photo's in that article...

NotQuiteUsual Thu 21-May-20 14:19:48

I was expecting her to be inseminated with a mix of all their sperm and then after 9 months they do a DNA test. Relieved the concept is slightly less disgusting than that.

QuestionMarkNow Thu 21-May-20 14:20:00

"Labor of Love is so terrible that it doesn’t even feel like a television series. It feels like a document designed to be presented to God as an argument for the total eradication of the human race."

gringringrin

Jux Thu 21-May-20 14:25:36

"It feels like a document designed to be presented to God as an argument for the total eradication of the human race."

Wonderful stuff, Mr Heritage

ArriettyJones Thu 21-May-20 14:27:17

YANBU but 👏🏼 👏🏼 👏🏼 for the fabulous Mr Heritage, as ever.

AnneKipanki Thu 21-May-20 14:28:35

Is it April 1st ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »