Talk

Advanced search

Toddler bed

(13 Posts)
ivfbabymomma1 Mon 18-May-20 20:38:27

I was just wondering if there is any reason why a toddler can't have a double bed?

Background. My baby sleeps in his cot in his own room but second baby on the way and I want to give the baby his nursery at 6 months and move my son into the spare room and make him his own room & decorate it etc

In the spare room is a nice double bed and an expensive mattress and it seems
Daft to get rid of that for a toddler bed? (3 bedroom house so no where else to keep it)

But I will if it's safer but what do you think? It's a low double bed and quite small if that makes sense like it's a little wooden one not a bulky one!

Posting here for traffic!

Thank you!!

OP’s posts: |
Alice12070 Mon 18-May-20 20:46:47

I personally would just put the toddler in the double bed? As long as one side is against the wall and theres a guard on the other side of the bed I dont see a problem? I think toddler beds are a waste of money as they grow out them so quickly

TwoKidsStillStanding Mon 18-May-20 20:48:23

I think it’s safe, though you might want to consider bed guards if you’re worried about him falling out. It would certainly give more flexibility for situations like guests. But I suppose it depends on why you want the baby in the other bedroom and whether you need to retain a double bed.

Could you fit a cot in there as well as a double bed? Because the other option would be to put the baby in that room and then you have a bed for if you need to co-sleep. You keep your older child in the same bedroom for the time being.

Alternatively, you could get rid of the double and get something like a Hemnes day bed from Ikea, so you have a full size single most of the time but can make it into a double when you need to.

sleepismysuperpower1 Mon 18-May-20 20:49:09

there is a thread from a while ago on a similar topic, will link it below. The only thing I might do would be put him into a toddler sleeping sack like this, or put a toddler/ single duvet cover on the bed rather than a double as they can be quite big/heavy for LOs.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/cots_and_beds_chat/917462-Any-Reason-Why-a-Toddler-Shouldn-39-t-Sleep-in

Drivingdownthe101 Mon 18-May-20 20:50:11

A double bed is fine, just put a bed guard on if you’re worried about rolling out?
Both mine went in full size singles at around 20 months. One never rolled out, one always did so she had a bed guard for a few months.

ivfbabymomma1 Mon 18-May-20 23:08:39

Hi all!

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm thinking it all through/googling your suggested products now!

Thank you!!

JagerPlease Tue 19-May-20 13:12:31

I've just moved my 3 year old into a double, as it's then useable for guests, and a vague attempt to make my own bed less exciting so he might stay in his all night. The first bit works, the latter not so much.

Wynston Tue 19-May-20 13:19:39

Seen as my children have pretty much always slept in my double bed I cant see why a double bed would pose any risk?
I think it would be useful.....we play musical beds in our house so maybe im not the best for advice!

OneandTwenty Tue 19-May-20 13:20:31

the reason why most parents stick to a toddler or single bed is because it's much cheaper and many kids rooms are too small, not because it's necessarily safer.

Mypathtriedtokillme Tue 19-May-20 13:27:53

My 3 year old and 6 year old sleep in a double beds.
It’s more comfortable for giving them a cuddle, reading a bedtime story, if they are unwell you or your partner can comfort them in their own room and sleep in semi-comfort (well as comfortable as sleeping with a whirling dervish is)
We use a biggish foam rail under the fitted sheet.

MolotovMocktail Tue 19-May-20 14:26:14

The double bed is fine. You could get a larger fitted sheet then stuff pillows under it around the edges to stop him rolling off, we used to do this when travelling so we didn’t have to drag around a travel cot.

ivfbabymomma1 Tue 19-May-20 22:55:29

Hi all!

Thank you all very much! Double bed it is!!

VicesReturning Wed 20-May-20 06:59:14

My son would have loved a double bed at that age!!! He loved to sprall out !!!! He went into a big single at age 17months, but if I'd already had a double he'd have has that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »