Talk

Advanced search

To think family should have taken my son fishing?

(60 Posts)
ladymorgan Sun 21-Apr-19 11:34:03

So my fil, owns a stretch of river for fishing/enjoyment. He had owned half of it with his best friend who snuffed it. My Brother in Law then bought the other “half” of the river from the deceased, if that makes sense.

Anyhow. Brother in law and my ds’s cousins were visiting from New York where they live. They have a 4x4 landrover they keep here to drive to the river. So dbro took his kids and fil.

He knew my ds was home from uni and enjoys going fishing, and they had room in the car. However, they didn’t think of inviting ds even though he will technically be in line to inherit the half of the river owned by his gfather.

AIBU to think it was a bit selfish not to take ds too?

Acis Sun 21-Apr-19 12:44:18

I suppose they could have invited him, but I don't think it was necessarily wrong of them not to.

By the way, are you sure your son is in line to inherit his grandfather's half? Don't brother in law's children come in for that?

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Apr-19 12:44:34

So if god forbid someone's child died for example, you'd think it was perfectly acceptable to say "I'm really sorry to hear your child snuffed it" Littlechocola?

If the answer is no, then surely you can see how it's a bit disrespectful/dismissive?

TigersRoll Sun 21-Apr-19 12:52:05

“Gone to Hell” 😂😂😂 oh my god can you imagine the outcry if OP put “his best friend who has gone to hell” . I don’t even know why I’m finding this thread so hilarious but it’s brightened up my day!

LordPickle Sun 21-Apr-19 12:55:30

How can you own a river?

Littlechocola Sun 21-Apr-19 12:58:11

No definitely not @WorraLiberty but as with any phrase you would use common sense. I would never be rude and I apologise if I’ve upset you or anyone else.
A long passed acquaintance depending on the conversation, yes. An acquaintance who’s child has passed away, never.

ladymorgan Sun 21-Apr-19 13:01:29

Lordpickle, if you’re a lord you would know winkgrin

SilverySurfer Sun 21-Apr-19 13:13:53

Maybe FiL wanted to spend some time just with his DS and DGC as they live abroad. Not sure why you think your DS should be entitled to be invited to everything and if he wanted to go, he's an adult and could have asked. I'm guessing you think your DS is missing out and care more than he does.

ReSistingPink Sun 21-Apr-19 14:26:51

The fact that certain human beings have enough privilege to 'own' half a river makes me furious.

That's all.

sweeneytoddsrazor Sun 21-Apr-19 14:44:12

What would happen to someone casually swimming upstream who accidentally strayed into this bit of river? Could they be fined for trespass or jailed as a spy. Does it have a hard border or backstop? So many unanswered questions.

Poloshot Sun 21-Apr-19 15:28:57

@LordPickle by owning the land adjoining it and the fishing rights rather than the river itself

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »