Talk

Advanced search

16 yr old daughter won’t come home 😔

(46 Posts)
CycleCUBA2008 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:59:41

My DD2 only turned 16 last month and is about to sit her GCSES. 3 weeks ago nearly it was agreed that she would stay at my other DD1 (who is 25 married with 3 kids) to revise as she has a conservatory so can spread out there and focus. Which was great but now she doesn’t want to come home! At home it is just the 2 of us so she has her own room etc. But we don’t have a separate space. And she was getting into a bad habit of coming home going upstairs and watching tv so could not motivate herself to revise in her room so I can completely understand that part of it. It’s just now I am feeling like I’ve completely lost any parental control as it was only supposed to be a few days. I do not want to push things as her exams start in 3 weeks so will probably just let things ride until the exams are done with then focus on rebuilding our relationship.. at least she is with my other daughter who I am very close with

Jux Thu 18-Apr-19 15:09:16

I think it's fine, you're a bit lonely of course, but you can fix that a little by going over there once a week and having cake with them!

If your dd is revising then she's doing fine. Leave her there until the exams are over and then she'll probably be sent home by her sister+dh. They won't want to support her forever and will want their own space back.

TatianaLarina Thu 18-Apr-19 14:49:56

I doubt DD1 will want her there indefinitely anyway. So there can be a rethink on both sides after her exams.

Branleuse Thu 18-Apr-19 14:48:51

your other daughter is not going to want her little sister there long term. This will burn itself out naturally

GetOffTheTableMabel Thu 18-Apr-19 14:46:11

I can understand why you’re feeling sad but perhaps try and think of it as a good thing? A bit of time apart might be just what she needs. My dd is 18 and studying for A levels right now. She often just needs a change of venue for revision- not because one is somehow better than the other but because, after a while, it just gets stale and hard to concentrate if you’ve been in the same space for weeks. She’ll move between her bedroom, dining room, the office, school library and public library. After a few weeks, she needs to shift. All that really matters is that she’s safe and she’s studying. As long as she knows she’s welcome at home anytime. Everything else can be fixed later.

CupOhTea Thu 18-Apr-19 14:45:18

@acis

I did housework shock. Anything to avoid it!

Acis Thu 18-Apr-19 14:40:40

I could have removed the tv and laptop and phone and then what?

Well, then she would probably have got some studying done...?

It wouldn't work, trust me. Back in the day when I was looking for displacement activities to avoid revising, we didn't have laptops and mobile phones, nor did we have a TV in my student accommodation. I ended up reading crap books and magazines that I'd already read to avoid the dreadful prospect of opening a textbook.

TooTrueToBeGood Thu 18-Apr-19 14:35:14

I think you just need to relax a bit. She's 16, you know where she is and that she's safe.
She's at that horrible age where she thinks she's a fully matured adult and you think she's still your baby. Neither of you are right and you need to meet in the middle somewhere or it will just end in tears.

CycleCUBA2008 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:34:37

*She's 16 not 12. You're talking about "losing parental control", not approving of her being in her own room instead of sitting with you when she gets home, using find my friends to keep tabs on her, and taking her phone and laptop away.

I'm not surprised now she has a tiny bit of freedom she wants to keep it!*

At only just 16 she still needs boundaries! I took her phone off her overnight purely for her benefit as she got a better nights sleep. Never took her laptop away. And the find friends is something many people owning iPhones use. Even my 25 yr old uses it to see where I am if she can't get hold of me. It's a feature on the phone not a stalking app

StormTreader Thu 18-Apr-19 14:30:43

She's 16 not 12. You're talking about "losing parental control", not approving of her being in her own room instead of sitting with you when she gets home, using find my friends to keep tabs on her, and taking her phone and laptop away.

I'm not surprised now she has a tiny bit of freedom she wants to keep it!

CycleCUBA2008 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:30:13

And ignore the posters who say there is clearly some bigger drama in the mix.

Thank you .. yes some very negative replies. I have always had a very good relationship with her and do with my older 2 children. There is a 10 yr age gap between my youngest (the 16 yr old) and my middle child so she having fallen out with some friends at school and the break up with the boyfriend really wants distractions of her sister, nephew and nieces.

Just me feeling lonely now too I guess as had a very tough few years myself.

She will get through her exams and go onto college a stronger young lady and have a fabulous life and in time we will come back together smile

NoCauseRebel Thu 18-Apr-19 14:21:40

your her mother it wasn't a great effort when these exams will determin how she gets on in life. clearly she is revising though. And I assume you did all the revising you were told to at that age? I know I sure as hell didn’t. At the end of the day these are her exams, she’s the one who has to put in the effort, and as parents it doesn’t matter how much we tell them they have to do well and that they have to revise for x amount of time, they have to do it for themselves. You can lead a horse to water as they say....

OP I would just bide your time. If she’s in contact, and if she’s revising, then she’s safe, if the boyfriend’s back on the scene then that’ll all sort itself out in time anyway. For now focus on the exams etc.

And ignore the posters who say there is clearly some bigger drama in the mix. Sixteen year olds are complicated beings. I know, I have one, and we have a fantastic relationship. But when he’s doing exams my god does he become stroppy, uncommunicative, uncooperative etc. I used to rise to it until I realised that the only person who became upset by it in the end was me. So now I ignore, ignore ignore and it passes.

As she’s staying with her sister and assuming her sister doesn’t mind just leave her be for now. But be there for her when the stress blows over, which it undoubtedly will.

Margot33 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:14:42

I think you're doing the right thing. She was stressed, now she's happily revising at her sisters. As long as her sister's happy, I see no harm in her staying there until the exams are over. Break ups feel ten times worse at that age, I blame the hormones!

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Thu 18-Apr-19 14:12:50

She is looking forward to going to college and is stressing about getting the right results to go in at the level she wants to

Sounds as if she's found something to help her focus which is great. Just tell her you're proud of her for working so hard and you'll take her out for a treat after the exams...?

CycleCUBA2008 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:09:42

Thank you for those with positive comments. Not every drama has a big issues in the background. A lot of it is purely anxiety over exams etc. She would not be more than a few feet away from her phone and does not go anywhere usually without being taken.

I have to just leave her to it at arms length and keep supporting her. She is looking forward to going to college and is stressing about getting the right results to go in at the level she wants to.

To take the tv away would not have broken the habits she got into. She has a laptop which she needs to revise with as a lot of the work is online now. So could just as easily watch rubbish on that too or her phone.

Took her phone off her overnight during the mock exams and my god it was like depriving a drug addict of their fix!

AventaRizon Thu 18-Apr-19 13:57:17

Agree with others, give her space for the time being.

recklessgran Thu 18-Apr-19 13:54:42

I'd leave her to it to be honest. I think it's up to your elder DD to tell the younger one to go home when her time's up?
You need to speak to your older DD and make a plan and ask your younger DD when she is planning on coming home perhaps?
In the meantime I would be taking younger DD out for lunch to discuss how things are going with her generally. 16 is a difficult age and although still a minor you can't force her to come home OP.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Thu 18-Apr-19 13:54:02

I think if her staying with your DD1 is helping her to revise, leave her to it! It sounds as if it was her routine that was the issue, not the environment.

You can keep track of where she is (well, as long as she takes her phone) and DD1 is keeping you updated. Let her be until after exams.

speedbird55 Thu 18-Apr-19 13:51:01

More behind this than your daughter is letting on , my guess is the boyfriend is back or a new bf

PinkHeart5914 Thu 18-Apr-19 13:40:49

Sorry but she just doesn't want to come home!

It's not easier to revise at her sister with 3 dc.

She's 16 nobody can force her to go home if she won't, she's safe with her sister. I think the best thing to do now is just leave her alone, give the girl some space and she'll work out whatever is going on in her head.

You should of removed the tv so she could concentrate on revising, your her mother it wasn't a great effort when these exams will determin how she gets on in life.

Claw01 Thu 18-Apr-19 13:36:44

I also assume that she leaves your dd’s house on occasion? Although the find my phone thing will tell you where she is, it doesn’t tell you with whom?

BiscuitDrama Thu 18-Apr-19 13:36:02

Even though all have the find friends on iPhone which allows me to see where she is and vice versa so I know she is where she says she is
It would be easy enough for her to leave her phone at your DD1’s house and then meet him.

Justaboy Thu 18-Apr-19 13:33:41

We fell out over a boyfriend which is largely why as I could see he was playing her and being quite controlling and of course she didn't like me bad mouthing him as she was besotted.

Ah! you won't be the only one with that propblem, had that happen here with some upset and shenniganis I can tell you but remain on her side and in due course she'll see some sense past expreance indicates this.

Always happens when important exams are in the offing;!

Claw01 Thu 18-Apr-19 13:33:29

The ex is still the ex so not an issue. We all have the find friends on iPhone which allows me to see where she is and vice versa so I know she is where she says she is

As both you and his parents disapprove, could he be going there?

Mitzimaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 13:32:11

I think you are doing the right thing in not pushing her to return. Keep checking in with DD1 to make sure everything is OK, and reassure DD2 that you support her and want the best for her. It's so hard for you but I think you're handling it OK.

CupOhTea Thu 18-Apr-19 13:31:14

Yeah, I’d also leave her to it. Sounds like she’s happy there and if your other dd doesn’t mind 🤷‍♀️. Hopefully she’ll get a bit of a break from everything, focus on her exams and then can come home a bit more relaxed. Break up and exams with mum “interfering” (as she might see it) might have all been a bit too much at once.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »