Talk

Advanced search

Baby monitors with video. Gimmick or worth it?

(57 Posts)
belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 11:20:16

Just that really...?

belindawaters Wed 10-Apr-19 21:56:58

I bought one. I've set it up. And now I'm scared because it's like something out of a horror film 😅

TheCraicDealer Wed 10-Apr-19 18:02:08

Is it really any creepier than co-sleeping with them or going in to check on them during the night? In both those scenarios you're watching them sleep, just not through a screen.

I'd be interested in people's recommendations as I would like one- not so much for the newborn stage but when they're in their own room and capable of pulling themselves up and running their hands along the bars of the cot like Cool Hand Luke it could definitely be useful. DH isn't so keen though, thinks an audio one would be adequate.

runsmidgeOMG Wed 10-Apr-19 17:51:14

I used mine right until it broke about 4 months ago, even at night DC 3 now blush
I'm managing without it though. DC is loud enough to shout mummy never daddy if if they wake.

I'll be honest and say I was (and still am to a degree) a super anxious parent and liked to have it on whenever they were sleeping.
Having the technology to have them on screen to alert me of any unsettled moments-and it would be on constantly helped me, or fed the anxiety who knows but I felt better for it.

Maybe it took it breaking for me to realise I'd survive without it.

IchibanLipstickForMen Wed 10-Apr-19 17:45:36

I think ours is the BT 6000 one also. Nice big screen with a Talk back function. Can also move the camera around the room from the video monitor if necessary! It was a bit pricey but my OH's Nan chipped in with us. That was nice of her but I'd have paid the whole whack either way.

My friends little boy vomited whilst swaddled and they said if they didn't have the monitor they don't think he'd have been okay... sad

BeanTownNancy Wed 10-Apr-19 17:35:50

We actually use a home security camera. We can see the whole room and move it around if DS(2) is banging around, it's HD and when he's outgrown it I could move it and use it as an actual security camera. We can log into it from our phones, so even if we're out for the evening and someone is babysitting, or when I was in hospital several times this month, I could see my son sleeping (I was in for a couple of weeks overnight so I missed him).
Expecting DS2 in the next couple of weeks - we will only use the sound monitor for him until he moves into DS1's room (when he's sleeping enough to not wake DS1 constantly!)

MummBraTheEverLeaking Wed 10-Apr-19 17:35:06

We have a motorola and the app which means if we're out on a rare night and want to coo over baby sleeping like soppy parents saddos we can get a live stream onto our phones too!

Celebelly Wed 10-Apr-19 17:24:24

We have the BT6000. It's really good. It's on sale on Amazon at the moment I think.

JustMe81 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:14:36

We have an Angelcare with sleep sensor mat, camera and audio. The sensor mat sets off an alarm if no movement is detected in 20 seconds. Excellent for peace of mind with a small baby who doesn’t move around much. The camera and audio really come in to their own as baby gets bigger to allow you to monitor your child without disturbing them. My son is a light sleeper, if I so much as go near his room I wake him so the monitor allows me to check on him without waking him.

LynseyLou1982 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:01:45

We love ours. It's easier to tell if any noises will need you to go in and intervene or if they're just making a noise in their sleep. Also easier to check on them without needing to go in and potentially wake them up.

PetuniaPetunia Wed 10-Apr-19 16:05:56

I don "t think they're necessary at all ,but if you get one Just make sure it can't be hacked in to. You don"t want a stranger watching your baby.

RainbowMum11 Wed 10-Apr-19 16:00:02

Def worth it.

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Wed 10-Apr-19 15:50:00

It wasn't a Wi-Fi one either...

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Wed 10-Apr-19 15:49:28

We had one with video. Somehow though we were connected to someone else's and had their baby and toddler on our screen instead shock so we unplugged it and only ever bothered with the audio.

Seniorschoolmum Wed 10-Apr-19 15:46:44

If they link wirelessly to your router/hub, make sure you change the default user ID and password or a lot of them are laughably easy to hack.

And then someone can see your routine, hear what is happening in your house and be able to work out when you are out.

Narya Wed 10-Apr-19 15:44:39

We've got a BT 6000 one - DP didn't want a wifi one because of security, which limits the options a lot.

SummerInSun Wed 10-Apr-19 15:40:19

Worth every penny as everyone else has said, for all the reasons we've given. We have a Motorola one that automatically switches back and for the between the two camera in out two DCs' rooms every few seconds. If you are planning kore than one child, worth getting one where you could add a second camera later if you wanted to.

PCohle Wed 10-Apr-19 15:27:34

I meant more waking up and glancing at a baby monitor to see your child gazing at you like Damion is a bit creepy, not that I think it's pervy on the part of parents...

CheshireChat Wed 10-Apr-19 15:26:41

I loved ours, particularly as DS was a very light sleeper so disturbing him at the wrong time could easily mean two hours of settling afterwards hmmconfused.

DS is 4 yo now and I still use it as the layout of the house means I can't hear him at all unless he's really screaming which isn't ideal.

Pretty sure we have a Motorola as well.

ThePants999 Wed 10-Apr-19 15:23:32

Parents keeping an eye on their children... sooooooo creepy. hmm

ScreamScreamIceCream Wed 10-Apr-19 15:15:32

It's not like you're live streaming to the internet.

You may actually be check your security settings of any device and make sure they aren't using the manufacturers default.

Giddyuppp Wed 10-Apr-19 15:13:01

Totally worth it IMO. Sometimes my son kind of talks to himself in his sleep but he can stay in his cot for a little longer. I wouldn't know this judged purely on a noise monitor.

I also like just seeing him sleeping and being generally cute

BirthdayKake Wed 10-Apr-19 15:08:31

Totally worth it. Also get one with a talk-back function!

PCohle Wed 10-Apr-19 15:04:10

I also think they're a bit creepy grin

I quite liked my DC getting used to being "disturbed" by me popping into their room etc. It might be fluke but they're all deep sleepers which was very handy when traveling, sharing rooms etc.

Yorkshirepudding1987 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:59:44

We have a BT one, cant remember which model. Our son has a lovely habit of screaming in his sleep, it's the same noise when hes awake so we find it useful to have a look and decide whether we are going in or not.
We put it on as soon as he goes to bed, on ours you can have the screen blank and itll flick back on if a noise is made.
I have it on all night so when I wake during the night I have a quick look at the monitor to see if hes kicked his duvet off (he hasn't worked out putting it back over him). I wouldn't say I watch it constantly though.

StarTheGirl Wed 10-Apr-19 14:54:42

Never had one, but based on this thread I really wish I did now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »