Talk

Advanced search

to think Jon Snow shouldn't be hung out to dry

(117 Posts)
CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 12:43:39

.. for commenting on the 'whiteness' of the pro Brexit march?

Or that Channel 4 shouldn't have apologised for it... it was an observation, not a judgement... and it was factual.

How is that racist?

Apparently he is having to wait and see how many complaints are received before the ASA will decide whther or not to act!

It was discusse, somewhat reasonably, on JV Radio2, a while ago. I'm cathing up so sorry if there is already a thread on it!

Marchinupandownagain Mon 01-Apr-19 12:49:05

Of course it isn't racist to say that and the people claiming it is are 1) ignorant 2) defensive probably for a reason. Of course the pro-Brexit march is majority white. It's majority Little Englander xenophobic myopia. Not a view found too often in BME communities.

OTOH Jon Snow is a pillock for quite other reasons.

YippeeKayakOtherBuckets Mon 01-Apr-19 12:50:19

Something something ‘white walkers’ pun.

ooooohbetty Mon 01-Apr-19 12:50:57

He obviously lives in London so it was unusual for him. Not racist, just pointing out a fact.

StealthPolarBear Mon 01-Apr-19 12:51:06

I can't put my finger on what's wrong with it but imagine if he'd made the same comment about black people on, say, an anti Brexit march.

StealthPolarBear Mon 01-Apr-19 12:51:34

And I did think he's clearly never been to county Durham grin

StarlingsEverywhere Mon 01-Apr-19 12:53:50

He'd obviously be troubled about White Walkers, even more so if they were from the North!

StealthPolarBear Mon 01-Apr-19 12:55:06

White walkers sounds very sinister and zombie like, is it meant to?!

StarlingsEverywhere Mon 01-Apr-19 12:55:22

On the other hand, it's often said that he knows nothing.

teyem Mon 01-Apr-19 12:55:41

I don't think he should be hung out to dry either. It was just an observation. It's not racist to observe race.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 12:57:18

And I did think he's clearly never been to county Durham grin

I've moved a lot in my 53 years. I have been the only white child in a school and currently live in a very white, yet ethinically diverse, region, so have lived in very white and very BAME areas. I don't think it is odd to see many white or many black people in any one area... maybe it is 'odd' to some though!

Marchin not sure I can get on board with any one colour of skin having a monopoly on pleasant, clear sighted thinking!

Limensoda Mon 01-Apr-19 12:59:15

People read things into what he said. Says more about them than about him.

StealthPolarBear Mon 01-Apr-19 12:59:32

Just to be clear I live in Co Durham. It's lovely. However ethnically diverse (apart from the city centre /University) it is not

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:02:17

Journalism 101

"If someone says it’s raining, and another person says it’s dry, it’s not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out the fucking window and find out which is true."

derxa Mon 01-Apr-19 13:03:20

He's a pain in the arse.

Seadragonusgiganticusmaximus Mon 01-Apr-19 13:07:22

He knows nothing...

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:09:01

And does being a pain in the know nothing arse mean he deserves to be hung out to dry for this?

SoupDragon Mon 01-Apr-19 13:09:20

What is wrong with saying "I've never seen so many white people in one place"? Usually a crowd of that size would be a mix of races.

Bravelurker Mon 01-Apr-19 13:09:50

I was watching Channel 4 news when he said it and it did smart a bit, then I completely forgot about it.
Had no idea he was getting grilled over it but now I'm not surprised.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:12:11

and it did smart a bit Can you explain why?

I sometimes find mysefl wincing at comments and then realise it is the current PC 'offend nobody or else' reaction coming out. When I stop and consider the comment there is nothing to be upset about, it's just an opinion I don't agree with.

Sorry, I wasn' trying to challenge you, I am just being true to the curious part of my username smile

loobyloo1234 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:13:27

He knows nothing...

grin got in there before I did

ContessaIsOnADietDammit Mon 01-Apr-19 13:15:00

I was thinking about this yesterday - I think the fact that he is actually white himself is relevant. White passing comment on 'all those white people' = not racist, white passing comment on 'all those black people' = possibly not racist but definitely suspect.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:16:33

* What is wrong with saying "I've never seen so many white people in one place"? Usually a crowd of that size would be a mix of races.*

What strikes me about it - coming from a public school educated son of a bishop in his seventies - is that if can't possibly be true.

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Apr-19 13:20:11

There is a problem with Jon Snow's comment. It is perfect for those who want to attack liberal media. I face palmed about it.

What Jon Snow wanted to say, was it was it had all the hallmarks of a white supremacist march.

However he a) couldn't actually say that cos it'd potentially be liablous and b) it's political bias without proper evidence it was, which as a broadcast journalist he really shouldn't be doing to this extent.

It made him look like a momentumal plonker in a thousand memes.

Everyone knows what he really means but the reality is it has backfired spectacularly.

It was very ill advised.

So yes I do think there is an issue with his comment and yes C4 were right to apologise for it. Even if the march was a lot like a EDL protest.

DarlingNikita Mon 01-Apr-19 13:22:37

I've never seen so many white people in one place"

Is that what he said? I didn't see it and don't know. But if that's verbatim, then I do think it's problematic, yes. If he'd said 'I've never seen so many black/Asian/Chinese people in one place' I'd have felt very uneasy about it. Admittedly though I can't quite articulate why.

Amongstthetallgrass Mon 01-Apr-19 13:23:45

Ow thought it was a GoT thread.

<< exits quickly >>

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:27:49

I've never seen GoT.. and can't run away frm my own thread smile

What Jon Snow wanted to say, was it was it had all the hallmarks of a white supremacist march. Did he? Really? It didn't sound like that as he said it.. but I don't know, I am not him!

Even if the march was a lot like a EDL protest. I suspect that is colouring your opinion! Many parts of the UK are very white... it's not really all that unusual unless you have always lived in an ethnically diverse area.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:29:15

@RedToothBrush you've convinced me.

Time40 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:31:05

White walkers sounds very sinister and zombie like, is it meant to?!

Yes, StealthPolarBear. They're zombies from Game of Thrones. "He knows nothing" is GoT, too.

pepperpot99 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:31:50

He wears nice ties and loves fine art (seen him at several exhibitions over the years) so he's ok in my book.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:32:18

Ah! I missed all of that... maybe I should consider watching the bloody thing or, horror of horrors, reading the books smile

Springwalk Mon 01-Apr-19 13:36:41

It is a racist remark which is why he has apologised. Quite apart from the fact there was a huge number of people from all races that will be offended by the remark ( including lots of French supporters)
To make public comments about race live on air is beyond stupid.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:40:31

Huh? I all of those races * had white skin then I fail to see your point.

*What's with that fucking word making a come back? You mean nationalities - 'races' is inherently racist!

QueenKubauOfKish Mon 01-Apr-19 13:43:43

If you live in London, a large group of almost all white people will look unusual. It's possible you'd get a group of almost all black or asian people, but because they are a minority, that would almost certainly be for a reason, like an event to do with a particular religion or BAME issue, therefore it wouldn't be remarkable.

Whereas most people on one side of a political argument being white, is more of a noticeable thing to comment on.

Bad idea to actually comment though because it opens such a big can of worms about what he might be getting at.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:46:09

I agree it was ill advised but surely valid in the context that some groups with strong connections to racist organisations were marching? I agree he should have worded it better though.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:46:09

* He wears nice ties and loves fine art (seen him at several exhibitions over the years) so he's ok in my book.*

Do you realise how many senior fascists and Nazis that description could apply to?

I generally like Jon Snow myself, but not for clothes and art.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:47:41

I mean, how can you call out racism without mentioning race? (Genuine question, not being snippy.).

ForalltheSaints Mon 01-Apr-19 13:48:20

According to IPSOS More, 31% of BAME people voted Leave. So a valid point to ask if few or none of them were on the march on Friday.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:49:03

* I agree it was ill advised but surely valid in the context that some groups with strong connections to racist organisations were marching? I agree he should have worded it better though.*

* I mean, how can you call out racism without mentioning race? (Genuine question, not being snippy.).**

You do realise you can't spot a racist from their skin colour?

BeerandBiscuits Mon 01-Apr-19 13:49:30

YABU
He should have forseen how his remarks could have been received by some, ie Brexiters are all racist.
If he'd pointed out that - like the recent Remainer march - it was all white people, he wouldn't have caused offence.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 13:50:37

Fair point ColeHawlins . What is the correct way to phrase it?

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:50:50

Race, like gender, is a social construct and is usually used to 'other' people, a hole cohort of people!

I hate to link to wiki, but here you are smile

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:51:11

I just wish everyone, including the normally delightful JS, would stop throwing petrol on the flames.

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Apr-19 13:51:51

Why make a comment about a lack of diversity?

That's what he was doing.

And as others say there are events you could go to in parts of the country which would have no diversity. And that would be dead normal. And not really worth commenting on.

So why make a comment about it as if its odd or unusual? Unless it's about trying to insinuate the fact that the people there are somehow racist?

This is certainly how I interprete it. And I'm sure others will do.

I suspect there were parts of the crowd like that - they were there for Yaxley-Lennon. But there were also a lot of Leavers there who were not.

And that's kind of the problem.

It was said, almost as a slur.

A journalist is there to report, and draw on evidence, not make sweeping generalisations on something sensitive. It shows a certain lack of professionalism and Jon Snow has previously come under fire for unguarded comments which stray too far into his opinions rather than being of journalist merit.

FWIW I generally like Jon Snow and think he's a good journalist, but broadcast journalists in particular are subject to a higher standard of being seen to be impartial because its part of their broadcasting remit to be unbiased.

What he said was problematic, even if it ultimately wasn't intended that way. But his track record would suggest it was intended in that way.

rangermag Mon 01-Apr-19 13:51:57

I was watching the news when he said it and did raise an eyebrow (but then promptly forgot about it). I was more confused about why Lionel shrivel was being interviewed tbh

KC225 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:52:58

Hr was wrong. And he knew what he was doing when he said it.

rangermag Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:21

*Shriver

Autocorrect

DerelictWreck Mon 01-Apr-19 13:53:56

It is a racist remark which is why he has apologised.

Completely disagree, it's not more offensive than saying 'I've never seen so many brunette people in one place'.

The difference when it's white rather than black/asian/other examples given is that it doesn't evoke thousands of years of oppression and hate.

teyem Mon 01-Apr-19 13:54:03

It's going to be tricky isn't it shady? When people talk about far right racists now they'll just have to be careful to say that the activists were of a colouring highly efficient at absorbing vitamin D.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 13:54:32

* Fair point ColeHawlins . What is the correct way to phrase it?*

It's easier to stick to fact. "Ukippers are xenophobic", for example.

He's just lead himself into murky waters with innuendo about the ethnicity of marchers.

Porpoises Mon 01-Apr-19 13:55:13

It is a racist remark which is why he has apologised. Quite apart from the fact there was a huge number of people from all races that will be offended by the remark ( including lots of French supporters)
To make public comments about race live on air is beyond stupid.

Of course you can make public comments about race. How can you have a discussion about racial divides if you're not allowed to notice that a group is predominantly white or black.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 13:57:21

He's just lead himself into murky waters with innuendo about the ethnicity of marchers

Ah! I just didn't hear it like that. He laughed, sounded quite perplexed, as if seeing something he had rarely seen before. Maybe he was thinking all of that.

But am still not sure that he deserves to be held to such high account for it. It all just seems like assuaging the easily offended to me!

catontherun Mon 01-Apr-19 13:59:50

And, IMHO, this is classic evidence of how out of touch London-centric policiticans/academics/media types are with the country as a whole and why we ended up having to deal with Brexit.

Itwouldtakemuchmorethanthis Mon 01-Apr-19 14:01:30

Winter is coming

HelloToMyKitty Mon 01-Apr-19 14:02:28

What strikes me about it - coming from a public school educated son of a bishop in his seventies - is that if can't possibly be true

Yes, which is why his remarks were not on and very disingenuous

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 14:03:00

There's just no need for all this.

The case for remain is that it's far better for the U.K. to remain.

Insinuating that the crowd was racist because it was majority white is just muddling the whole thing.

You don't NEED to imply they're all racist to win the Brexit debate.

crosser62 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:03:44

I was just going to come on a go all mother of dragons about how he is too scrumptious to be hung out to dry... wrong Jon Snow obviously...
Shuffles off....blush

Spidey66 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:03:48

I love Jon Snow. I love watching him make politicians squirm.

Shadycorner Mon 01-Apr-19 14:04:13

Thanks for the explanations Colehawlins and Redtoothbrush I think I am (finally!) begin to understand it menopausal slow brain --notwithstanding.

Bravelurker Mon 01-Apr-19 14:08:36

Hi Op, it smarted because I knew he would have his ass served to him on a plate.
Then emediately forgot about it.

I have no doubt he was being factual but I knew he would be accused of implying certain things that pro brexiteers are always accused of wink.

Tomtontom Mon 01-Apr-19 14:14:21

When people talk about far right racists now they'll just have to be careful to say that the activists were of a colouring highly efficient at absorbing vitamin D.

Why did that make me think of Jacob Rees Mogg?

Acis Mon 01-Apr-19 14:14:32

And as others say there are events you could go to in parts of the country which would have no diversity. And that would be dead normal. And not really worth commenting on.

But it is the reverse of "dead normal" in London. It's entirely valid to question why people from ethnic minorities did not feel able to join the march.

marvellousnightforamooncup Mon 01-Apr-19 14:21:52

Mentioning race isn't inherently racist. He has nothing to apologise for.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 14:22:19

* It's entirely valid to question why people from ethnic minorities did not feel able to join the march.*

To get to that point, you need to do some investigative or undercover journalism.

You need to establish THAT "ethnic minorities did not feel able to join the march" and then establish why. But you might discover, for example, that there were no Londoners there at all, (which makes the ethnic mix slightly less surprising), or that most of the marchers were not just leavers, but Kippers (which again makes the ethnic mix MUCH less surprising, for different reasons).

But just sitting in the commentators chair hinting darkly at something you suspect but won't even say, isn't journalism.

M4J4 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:26:55

@StealthPolarBear

I can't put my finger on what's wrong with it but imagine if he'd made the same comment about black people on, say, an anti Brexit march.

Makes no difference, he is a white man, commenting on a march in a white majority country.

Not offensive, there's a touch of white fragility to this.

fromsheffieldtobrighton Mon 01-Apr-19 14:27:30

He most certainly should be hung out to dry.

He was clearly implying that all those who voted leave are white and therefore, by some sort of gymnastic leap, racist and xenophobic. That's certainly what I inferred and so, obviously, did others.

He is a jumped up bumping weight prick and, for his information, plenty of non white people voted to leave.

There aren't that many non-white people on Remain marches either but he doesn't mention that. I wonder why that is?!

What percentage of non white people are employed by Channel 4 News? Maybe he could piss away off and give one of them his job, which would be a result.

He is a reporter and it's not his job to give his opinions or observations and if he hasn't seen a crowd of white people before then he needs to get out more.

I hope he gets the sack but I'll stand the drop of York Cathedral if he does! That's because although the rest of him is white, his nose is certainly brown from shoving it up so many right on arses.

Rainbunny Mon 01-Apr-19 14:31:50

Well taken as a simple observation it is a harmless statement of fact but you'd have to be deliberately obtuse not to understand that he was implying far more than a simple fact. When right wing racists do this we call it "dog whistling" and I do think he was making a clear implication about leave protesters being white = anti-immigrant/racist.

I'm a remain voter who happens to believe that many leave voters WERE motivated by feelings along the scale of anti-immigrant to zenophobic all the way to virulently racist. I'm also not stupid and I know exactly what he was implying.

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Apr-19 14:32:19

Rural areas and city areas had very different voting profiles. They have very different priorities and concerns.

They also have very different rates of ethnicity. Immigration tends towards metropolitan areas first because of availability of work and housing rather than anything more sinister.

You are doing a correlation means causation type leap, rather than asking whether the make up the crowd might merely reflect other regional concerns that drove each vote. And that's reflected in the crowds make up being less ethnic.

There is undoubtedly a racist leave contingent, but that isn't sufficient grounds to reflect on colour.

That's potentially just Jon Snow being rather sniffy about non metropolitan areas.

Bravelurker Mon 01-Apr-19 14:33:34

I am a remainer but even if I voted the other way, there's no possible way I could attend a march that had Tommy Robinson there as that would attract a certain crowd that ethnic minorities may want to avoid.

I do notice that when I see pro brexit gatherings, the cameras will focus on a POC covered head to toe in Union Jack - like they must identify the fact that they weren't just passing grin.

teyem Mon 01-Apr-19 14:35:17

He was clearly implying that all those who voted leave are white and therefore, by some sort of gymnastic leap, racist and xenophobic. That's certainly what I inferred and so, obviously, did others.

I simply heard the observation that the protesting crowd was, on the whole, white. He left the viewer to their own conclusions about why that may be. You know, he's a journalist, spotting things and saying things is kind of in the job description.

Thindragon Mon 01-Apr-19 14:39:41

Leavers on that march are either racist or ok being friends with racists. Nothing wrong with implying or stating that.

hell would freeze over before I would march with some of those flags or at a rally where Tommy Robinson was speaking.

Rainbunny Mon 01-Apr-19 14:43:20

"Leavers on that march are either racist or ok being friends with racists. Nothing wrong with implying or stating that. "

I mostly agree with your statement Thindragon. What's amusing me on this thread are all the people who are intent on being too dumb to recognise what he was clearly implying, as though it's common for tv presenters to comment on the ethnicity of the crowds outside Westminster.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 14:43:42

Was Tommy R there? Or is that hypothetical?

Notwiththeseknees Mon 01-Apr-19 14:45:21

I felt the implication was there that all Brexiteers are white ergo racists, however in the Remain protests, I could only find one POC in the photographs.
It was pointed out that JS did not mention ethnicity in the Remain protest. By all means if the point is pertinent then make it, but by not remaining impartial his credibility as a journalist is at stake.
By coincidence, we were discussing the environment with a renowned & international journalist last night and despite being passionate (evangelical in fact in person) he cannot let that bias creep into his articles as he would not be granted access to all areas and would be unable to report effectively.
JS is an arse.

Thindragon Mon 01-Apr-19 14:47:58

www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-day-protest-westminster-nigel-farage-tommy-robinson-parliament-square-a8846601.html%3famp

My mistake. Tommy R held a 'separate' rally 100m away. Completely different if course.hmm Farage, though, much in evidence.

teyem Mon 01-Apr-19 14:48:34

Leavers on that march are either racist or ok being friends with racists

I'm not sure I agree with that and I'm firm of the observation that Jon Snow was fine to say what he did.

But being a leave white protester does not mean that you are friends with racists. It can simply mean that you happen to be white and wanted to mark your protest.

What it does mean is that a lot of leave voters who are not white did not feel comfortable to turn up. That, in itself, is worth commenting on. It can tell you that the arguement may have been colonised by racists but that does not make all white leave protesters racist.

I'm a remainer, in case that looks defensive.

AnnaNutherThing Mon 01-Apr-19 15:02:16

So according to some posters here he definitely WAS to be interpreted as giving a dog whistle.

My first thought like coalhawlins said was that it is unlikely to be a true statement .." never".. seems improbable. So it simply rang false, which feeds into my perception of him as hopelessly biased possibly to the point of false memory!

My jokey reaction was : did he not go to Glastonbury?!

AnnaNutherThing Mon 01-Apr-19 15:07:29

I personally dont think it's worth keel hauling him over it but it seems to be the modern media way that he and Channel 4 are a part of so its hard to summon up much energy to defend him!

RedToothBrush Mon 01-Apr-19 15:10:05

Leavers on that march are either racist or ok being friends with racists.

90% of people share the opinion that the government are handling Brexit badly. This includes the likes of Yaxley lennon and Farage. On this I agree.

Should I wish to protest about this, should I be self restricting 'in case people associate me with being in agreement with' unsavoury types? Especially if there is a key date and place which is relevant to all?

The remain vote was a broad church of people who include hard europhile who want more integration, status quo supporters and people who want reform of the EU and begrudgingly want to stay.

Likewise leave was a broad spectrum of people who include very rich aflluent types who see it as a way to get rich, 'left behinders', those who wanted a referendum on austerity and Cameron, those with notions of sovereignty and the pure racists. Some of these cross over, but to lump them altogether does a disservice to everyone and doesn't help to resolve the mess that Brexit has made.

Everyone has a right to protest in a democracy. They shouldn't have to somehow justify turning up at the same place to do this, if others are there for very different reasons.

Making the assumptions are only serving the far right rather than uniting Remainers and moderate Leavers in their frustration that the government has handled it remarkably badly and isn't representing moderates on either side.

SkintAsASkintThing Mon 01-Apr-19 15:11:55

Well I'm so thick I thought something horrendous had happened in game of thrones.

MattFreisWeatherReport Mon 01-Apr-19 15:13:27

I had no problem with it.

Why make a comment about a lack of diversity?

Because it was relevant. For whatever reason - you can draw your own conclusions - Black people decided they couldn't or shouldn't be there. Westminster Square is a major tourist attraction. For there to be nothing but white faces there on a fine Friday evening is noteworthy in itself and particularly in the context of the event taking place. C4 and other journalists broadcast from there incessantly and would definitely notice that. Why wouldn't he share that observation with viewers?

What percentage of non white people are employed by Channel 4 News? Maybe he could piss away off and give one of them his job, which would be a result.

Their ethnic mix in front of the camera is certainly better than most.

Limensoda Mon 01-Apr-19 15:16:11

Will Self said the following to MP Mark Francois on Politics Live, and received a lot of criticism...

"When it came to me I made a point I’ve made publicly before: the problem for Brexiteers is that while it’s by no means the case that you had to be a racist or an anti-Semite to vote to leave the European Union, the stark fact of the matter is that probably every racist and anti-Semite in Britain in fact did"

Mark Francois got very angry and told Self he should apologise to the 17 million people he had insulted.
He didn't apologise because he hadn't insulted 17 million people.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 01-Apr-19 15:28:11

I remember after Hurricane Katrina seeing the faces of evacuees who had taken shelter in a football stadium and every single one of them was black, but absolutely no one mentioned this on the news. There was something so shocking about it, just literally hundreds or thousands of people and not a single white face.

I don't think it's racist to point out the reality of a situation. But, I do understand that by doing so you are pointing out a reality that many people don't want to face and that has consequences.

I don't think all people who voted leave are white. I don't think all people who voted leave are racist. But, it does seem that all the leave protestors were white. I wonder why that is.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 15:32:38

don't think it's racist to point out the reality of a situation. But, I do understand that by doing so you are pointing out a reality that many people don't want to face and that has consequences.

Now you're doing it.

We do already know (from proper polling) that Remainers are on average younger, more ethnically mixed, wealthier and more urban than Leavers.

To think you can learn anything other than that about the "reality" of some unnamed "situation" by looking at crowds of marchers, is deranged.

TheNavigator Mon 01-Apr-19 15:34:47

BlackCat I don't think that is true about Hurricane Katrina, the fact it hit an all black area was very much part of the story at the time. Did Kayne West not cause an uproar by saying the government wasn't doing enough because George Bush didn't care about black people? So race was very much part of that story.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 01-Apr-19 15:37:25

But if you see a crowd of hundreds of white people and say "They are all white", that's just stating a fact. How can that be wrong? He wasn't saying anything about people who voted leave or remain, he was just commenting on the protestors.

notangelinajolie Mon 01-Apr-19 15:37:29

I don't believe he was being racist. I think he was just commenting on what he saw. If he lives in or near London he would not be expecting to see many white people all in one place. Perhaps the ethnic mix of people on the march took him by surprise?

Not everywhere is so ethnically diverse as London, the latest census for area I live in 97.2% of the population are white - so a large crowd of all white people here would not be unusual at all.

I really hope I am right because the other alternative explanation for his comments is shameful.

MillicentSnitch Mon 01-Apr-19 15:52:20

There are well-heeled places you can go in London where almost everybody is white, and I've seen Jon Snow in one of them, happy as larry. My reaction to what he said was that it was as much about class and provincialism as it was about colour. I thought he was being snobby and judgemental.

Bezalelle Mon 01-Apr-19 15:56:49

Welcome to this brave new world in which the most privileged can claim to be the most oppressed!

AnnaNutherThing Mon 01-Apr-19 15:58:34

I suspect that's it Millicent.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 15:59:14

Yes that sounds spot on @MillicentSnitch

QueenBlueberries Mon 01-Apr-19 16:04:16

Looking at the protest footage over the last few days, yes it was overwhelmingly attended by people who appear to be white. Anyone would like to prove that to be wrong?

QueenKubauOfKish Mon 01-Apr-19 16:08:45

Saying "I've never seen so many white people in one place" doesn't sound like something that's literally true - of course he will have seen loads of white people in one place. It's more just a hyperbolic phrase like "that's the biggest piece of cake I've ever seen". It's a slightly snarky way of saying "Well what a shocker, they're all white".

PickAChew Mon 01-Apr-19 16:17:17

The march has been referred to by other commentators as the Gammonball run, so while JS's turn of phrase was unfortunate, it was a valid observation.

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 16:21:20

The march has been referred to by other commentators as the Gammonball run, so while JS's turn of phrase was unfortunate, it was a valid observation. That has been very much my take on it over the afternoon.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 01-Apr-19 16:22:48

I assume the march was organised by members of the far right, which is why the protestors were all white.

I don't think the march reflects leave voters. It just reflects a certain section of leave voters.

PickAChew Mon 01-Apr-19 16:29:55

And not all of the walkers are northerners. Some signed up to just do sections of the walk so, in theory, there will be walkers from the Midlands and South East.

QueenBlueberries Mon 01-Apr-19 16:48:15

I don't think it was organised by the far right. It was organised by the Leave means Leave campaign, who I don't think is a far right organisation. I am sure some of its members are far right but not all, that's for sure. I don't think protests are meant to 'represent' anything, especially as most people will go to a local protest and few will travel long distances (there are some exceptions obviously). However, considering that it was in London, the fact that the protest was so predominantly white was, in my opinion, an interesting piece of information.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 01-Apr-19 16:59:22

But the speakers were Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson, right? I think it's safe to say that such an event is not exactly going to attract the Left, even if they voted leave.

colehawlins Mon 01-Apr-19 17:02:48

I thought we established that Tommy wasn't there?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »