Talk

Advanced search

If you like a name why do others have to insist on using another name?

(30 Posts)
Greggers2017 Mon 25-Mar-19 17:26:43

We have a baby girl due in 12 weeks time. We have chosen the name Lyla. Both me and DP love the name, however my partners father and my Nana both insist they do not like the name Lyla and will call her Layla when she is with them. AIBU that this really pisses me off?

Greggers2017 Tue 26-Mar-19 13:35:52

My nana also did it with my eldest. Her name is amelie and she spent about a year calling her Millie 🤬
Sounds silly but it grates on me ha

OneStepSideways Tue 26-Mar-19 17:11:21

Do you pronounce it Lee-la or Lie-la? It's a pretty name, I like it. Might they just be confused over pronounciation?

My friend has called her baby Lyra and I'm puzzled about the pronunciation!

MadameButterface Tue 26-Mar-19 17:15:45

it's so bizarre and I have only ever heard of this on mn

I meet plenty of people in life whose names I'm not keen on (don't we all?) and it would never occur to me to be like 'ew I don't like your name Brenda, I think I'll call you Samantha instead' it's just INSANE

tell them they're being crackers and to get over themselves

CandyCreeper Tue 26-Mar-19 17:16:52

I had this with my sister. She said she would call my ds a nickname of the name I
liked as she didnt like the first name so I decided against the name as I wasnt keen on the nickname.

Greggers2017 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:51:04

Lyla our lie-la. Just said as it looks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »