Talk

Advanced search

To say that some things about old fashioned school dinners tasted nice?

(207 Posts)
malificent7 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:42:06

Ok..so admittedly they are mostly puddings but i will start with australian crunch and that cornflake, jam treacle flan thingy. I want the recipie!

LondonJax Sun 17-Mar-19 14:02:57

My first secondary school has an amazing bunch of cooks in the kitchen. They used to do lasagne, vanilla custard with the proper pods stood in them in the that big vat thing they used to ladle from. Our senior cook even used to make her own tomato ketchup! Desserts used to have the kids continuously joining the end of the queues for more. Chocolate pudding with chocolate custard and jam sponge. Oh my word!

There is one lamb mince dish they used to make which used to have the kids queuing for 2nds and 3rds. To me, aged about 12, it had a 'foreign' name which I couldn't pronounce (but lasagne was foreign to me with the dishes my mum used to make!) I can still sort of taste it if I really try to remember. But can I remember the blooming name -not a chance! I know it wasn't moussaka as it didn't have aubergine with it - just a normal mince dish. The quest continues....

BobIsNotYourUncle Sun 17-Mar-19 14:07:34

Haha Bob we had the same thought at the same moment

grin My DC still get given it at school, I am so jealous!

CookieSwirlC Sun 17-Mar-19 14:10:37

Chocolate concrete and custard. Food of the gods.

We also had some delicious multicoloured jelly that wasn’t solid but more like pre chopped jelly all in little bits with fake sweet cream to signify each portion and chocolate sprinkles on the cream. Delicious!

SenecaFalls Sun 17-Mar-19 14:12:19

Ours baked their hamburger and hotdog buns in house. They were so good. They also did wonderful iced brownies. This was in the US quite a few years ago.

bluechameleon Sun 17-Mar-19 14:17:53

We occasionally had cream doughnuts for pudding. We used to have a challenge that whoever went longest without licking their lips got seconds.
The worst thing was semolina and rice pudding - I couldn't stand the smell and used to hide in the toilets to avoid having to eat any.
Also tinned tomatoes served warmish as a vegetable - revolting.

Lungelady Sun 17-Mar-19 14:20:31

Friday's were not good. Fish, mash and beetroot.
Manchester tart, Gipsy tart, pink custard.....Gorgeous. I love milk puddings too...sago, semolina.

Eliza9917 Sun 17-Mar-19 14:21:37

Our tuck shop/snack bar (only open at first break & lunch) used to do chip rolls for 25p, they were beautiful.

pineapplebryanbrown Sun 17-Mar-19 14:21:57

Tapioca was terrifying now I would love it. I used to love spam fritters now I'd be sick.

muddledmidget Sun 17-Mar-19 14:26:42

I loved school dinners at primary school while they were still cooked on the premises. Fish fingers, mash, peas and tinned tomatoes and pie with mash cabbage and carrots were my favourite mains and puddings were ginger cake with lemon syrup and sponge with jam and coconut

CookPassBabtridge Sun 17-Mar-19 14:28:43

God I loved school food (1990-1996) The pizza was amazing, the puddings and custard were just scrumptious. Not sure if it's rose tinted spectacles or what!

ifeellikeanidiot Sun 17-Mar-19 14:28:53

I loved the mash potato piped into swirls.

I changed primary school just as the one I was leaving starting serving microwave meals in individual plastic trays with the food all in separate sections. My new school had gorgeous home made pizza and big bowls of lovely salad like grated carrot which I loved.

From the tuck shop... those strange five p drinks in ridged containers with improbably thin straws.

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:30:02

The worst thing about semolina was it ruined the rice pudding. I bloody loved rice pudding.

iwantatattoo Sun 17-Mar-19 14:30:34

The cheese pie thing used to make me gag.

haverhill Sun 17-Mar-19 14:31:18

We had yogurt served from a big metal tureen and biscuits. It was gorgeous.
I liked most of the food to be honest. I was nearly always hungry.

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:34:15

However was first introduced to chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce as a pudding in the early 90s, never had had it at home. My suddenly PMT-suffering self was so grateful.

LarryGreysonsDoor Sun 17-Mar-19 14:35:19

odd ersatz cream that seemed to be made from margarine and sugar whipped together.

Oh I loved that. It had a slight saltiness too.
We used to have split hotdog buns with the not-cream in it with a squirt of raspberry sauce and a dusting of icing sugar.

UsedtobeFeckless Sun 17-Mar-19 14:39:07

I loved everything that wasn't liver, spam fritters or cardboard flan! They used to do spam fritters and cardboard flan on the same day though - that was evil! Gooey sponge puds and custard, bread and butter pudding - mmmm!

blackteasplease Sun 17-Mar-19 14:39:26

I used to love the semolina at primary school which most seem to hate.

Hated the rice pudding though. Has put me off all rice pudding. When I taste normal rice pudding I can tell it should be nice but the association puts me off!

Sunonthepatio Sun 17-Mar-19 14:39:57

I
Loved cheese pie and would love the recipe.

SenecaFalls Sun 17-Mar-19 14:41:46

ginger cake with lemon syrup

Oh yes. We had gingerbread with lemon sauce. One of my favorites. I just remembered another one, banana pudding, which is a trifle-like dessert particular to the southern US.

Also I remember good grilled cheese sandwiches. There was lots of surplus cheese from one of the US agriculture support programs, which they gave to schools.

yanboo Sun 17-Mar-19 14:42:09

I loved getting pink angel delight but it was always a heart stopper to ask for it as if you did you had to eat it all and it looked identical to a disgusting blancmange

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:42:19

We could have swapped blacktea grin.

labazsisgoingmad Sun 17-Mar-19 14:52:23

egg salad with lots of beetroot that used to bleed into the eggs
weetabix with butter and jam partner thinks im weird but still love it now
semolina love milk puddings
a pie with baked beans mash and cheese on top still make it now quick and cheap

ShabbyAbby Sun 17-Mar-19 15:05:59

Spotted dick or treacle pudding or that chocolate cake with chocolate custard

Mmm custard

Grumpbum123 Sun 17-Mar-19 15:08:25

www.lavenderandlovage.com/recipe/be-ro-australian-crunchies

These taste the same

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »