Not rheTORic. Ffs

Fatbutt Fri 15-Mar-19 14:55:15

“It's leviOsa, not levioSA!”

NeverHadANickname Fri 15-Mar-19 14:58:05

@Fatbutt 😂

CaptainButtock Fri 15-Mar-19 14:58:21

Roman Abramovich not Roman AbraMOvich

HarryTheSteppenwolf Fri 15-Mar-19 14:59:31

But it's rheTORical. So it's fairly to easy to understand why some people would say rheTORic. Not that I've heard anybody say either for many years. And I've rarely heard anybody use the word rhetoric correctly, anyway.

MissSingerbrains Fri 15-Mar-19 16:28:12

Roman Abramovich not Roman AbraMOvich

Actually, the correct Russian pronunciation is AbraMOvich

RockyFlintstone Fri 15-Mar-19 16:30:02

But it's rheTORical. So it's fairly to easy to understand why some people would say rheTORic

That's what I came on to say!

liverpoolnana Fri 15-Mar-19 17:15:42

The one that grates on me is 'adverTISEment'

Yes, yes, I know the way the verb is said is what's misleading people, but it still grates. I've even heard it on the BBC.

Confusedbeetle Fri 15-Mar-19 17:31:10

contTROversy vs CONtroversy

Confusedbeetle Fri 15-Mar-19 17:31:49

It's cerVIcal not CERvical

HarryTheSteppenwolf Fri 15-Mar-19 17:34:51

I've even heard it on the BBC.

I've said this on every web forum I've ever visited, but I'm going to say it again. The thing about BBC presenters, newsreaders, etc., that absolutely grinds my gears is their constant use of "temporally" in place of "temporarily". They mean completely different things.

HarryTheSteppenwolf Fri 15-Mar-19 17:36:37

I don't know any source that says one of those is more correct than the other.

HarryTheSteppenwolf Fri 15-Mar-19 17:41:04

Oh, and students' unions are winding me up at the moment with all their stuff about "decolonizing" the curriculum. The only colonizing of any curriculum is being done by textbook publishers. They mean "decolonializing" but don't seem to be able to cope with the additional syllables.

EstrellaDamn Fri 15-Mar-19 17:44:38

I've never heard anyone say cerVIcal and I worked in a gynae clinic!

fruityb Fri 15-Mar-19 17:46:45

I have heard cerVIcal before - a nurse at my old doctors.

Had the controversy discussion with my year ten class today weirdly!

OscarWildesGreenCarnation Fri 15-Mar-19 17:49:50

It's pedANT, not PEDant.... Only joking, this kind of thing irks me too!!!

ClockworkNightingale Fri 15-Mar-19 17:51:16

I mostly hear cerVIcal when we're discussing the cervical spine, and CERvical when we're discussing the neck of the womb . . . possibly because we refer to the second one as the CERvix, but never ever use that to describe the neck between your head and your shoulders. grin

CatherineVelindre Fri 15-Mar-19 18:16:22

Oh, and students' unions are winding me up at the moment with all their stuff about "decolonizing" the curriculum. The only colonizing of any curriculum is being done by textbook publishers. They mean "decolonializing" but don't seem to be able to cope with the additional syllables.

The term used in academia is decolonisation/ decolonization and not decolonialisation (because there is no verb to colonialise - imperial powers colonised other nations)

See for example this module at the School of African and Oriental Studies : www.soas.ac.uk/courseunits/153402002.html or this book "Decolonising the Mind: The Politics of Language in African Literature (Studies in African Literature)" by Ngugi wa Thiong’o

Jux Fri 15-Mar-19 20:04:50

I've heard CERvical and cerVICal, and have no idea which is right. I may decide to go by @ClockworkNightingale's differentiation.

I also wonder when reSEARCH became REEEEEEEsearch.

My dad and his best mate had a long-running discussion about conTROversy and CONtroversy. It was always the first, until I was about 20, when I started hearing the second.

grin @Fatbutt

Monr0e Fri 15-Mar-19 20:10:30

As a student midwife I always hear cerVICal

Also umbiLICus

SrSteveOskowski Fri 15-Mar-19 20:15:58

It's HAVE not OF . . . . .

BIWI Fri 15-Mar-19 20:17:56

I can't bear the way the new readers now talk about the 'pleece' rather than the 'police'

Pinkshowerpuff Fri 15-Mar-19 20:20:25

ScHedule/SChedule

CaptainCabinets Fri 15-Mar-19 20:23:22

My DP says inVENtory instead of INventory and it drives me potty blush

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Fri 15-Mar-19 21:09:56

I’m saying all of these wrong, according to this thread.

Jux Fri 15-Mar-19 21:10:02

*@CaptainCabinets*, you've reminded me that we (as young children) thought it would hilarious to call a child LaVOTary!

But @Monroe umbiLICus??? umbiLICus?? Aaaaargh!!!!!!

Monr0e Fri 15-Mar-19 21:27:47

Yes Jus, I know!

BIWI Fri 15-Mar-19 21:33:05

<sigh>

And my post should have said news readers, of course blush

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Fri 15-Mar-19 21:34:44

and its negoSHEay-shuns

NOT negoSEEay-shuns

if the first ti in negotiations is SEE then you should surely say negoSEE aySEEns and no one does that! so Negoseeayshuns is just plain wrong.

tbh with all the Bregzit Negoseeayshuns it's a miracle I haven't gone off pop

Br-exit with an x Negosheayshuns

cardibach Fri 15-Mar-19 21:36:43

S(c)Heduke/SChedule is an English/American English issue. The C is pronounced in America.
Like we pronounce lieutenant leftenant and the Americans go with Lootenant.

PajamasnoDramas Fri 15-Mar-19 21:48:31

Couple that grind my gears

disTRIbute not DIStribute
conTRIbute not CONtribute

Gahhhhh

OwlBeThere Fri 15-Mar-19 21:55:02

IT's cerVIcal when its about the spine, CERvical when related to the cervix.

borntobequiet Fri 15-Mar-19 21:55:36

It’s defuse (dee-fuse) (a potentially explosive situation) not diff-use.
I recently heard a BBC reporter use both pronunciations in one sentence. I decided he wasn’t sure about which word to use so tried both.

OwlBeThere Fri 15-Mar-19 21:58:16

In welsh, every word has the stress on the last but one syllable. every. single. word. avoids all this nonsense. grin

Hazeintheclouds Fri 15-Mar-19 22:03:21

Some of the differences are due to the onward creep of Americanisms...

<ducks>

StoneofDestiny Fri 15-Mar-19 22:14:33

Advertisement or AdverTISEment
MunIcipal or MuniCIPAL

The former for me.

FlashingLights101 Fri 15-Mar-19 22:18:43

I also wonder when reSEARCH became REEEEEEEsearch

This one I think is to do with whether it's a noun or a verb. Verb is REsearch, but the noun is reSEARCH.

Much like a lot of other similar words:
reCORD (verb) / REcord (noun)
inCREASE (verb) / INcrease (noun)
perMIT (verb) / PERmit (noun)

Etc etc. There are loads actually.
<wanders back to pedants' corner> (or should that be pedANTs'??!)

Hazeintheclouds Fri 15-Mar-19 22:19:07

Advertisement sounds dense, I’m afraid.

Hazeintheclouds Fri 15-Mar-19 22:20:20

Oops. I mean adverTISEment.

NoCryingInEngineering Fri 15-Mar-19 22:26:04

There's a bloke at my work always talks about MainTAINance. Drives me up the fucking wall

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 01:17:57

Thanks for that, *@FlashingLights*, interesting.

*@Owlbethere*, never knew that. Should I ever start to learn Welsh I shall remember that. I think my dad once said a similar thing about Latin, but I'm not sure that that's not a figment of my imagination! (And he was the sort of man who pronounced 'Conduit' as 'cundit'. His best friend said 'cumputer' and also 'heelicopter', so maybe I should ignore all my childhood pronunciations!)

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 16-Mar-19 01:27:29

The weather people on the news here say “tempeture” instead of “temperature”. Drives me batty.

Also “liberry” instead of “library”. Argh!!!

Ireallywantmylifeback Sat 16-Mar-19 02:02:54

Withdrawal not withdrawral

AintNobodyHereButUsReindeer Sat 16-Mar-19 02:25:44

SATnav. Not satNAV (I'm looking at you, mum)

Chickenwing Sat 16-Mar-19 02:37:00

Happy NEW year..... or happy new YEAR

HarrysOwl Sat 16-Mar-19 06:33:20

PAcific instead of SPEcific.

Being precise is not an ocean.

Arrrrgggg.

Spiderbanana Sat 16-Mar-19 06:36:26

I am getting weird looks from DH as I sit in bed testing out these pronunciations grin

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-19 07:24:11

Research is always research - and never reeeesearch! (I work in research and it drives me nuts)

Janecon Sat 16-Mar-19 07:29:34

I don't really get bothered by these with the exception of newsreaders saying pleece rather than police (as someone has already mentioned). It's just lazy and it drives me mad!

OwlBeThere Sat 16-Mar-19 08:12:43

@jux I didn’t know it either until I studied linguistics and welsh is my first language blushgrin
Latin is similar but a bit more complicated (because of course it is, when did Latin ever make things easy) the way I understand it the stress is either the third or second last syllable depending on if the syllables after it are long or short. Not entirely sure what s long or short syllable is though. I’ll stick to welsh.

longwayoff Sat 16-Mar-19 08:53:33

A friend says ordossity instead of audacity. Frequently. Irritating in the extreme.

lillighters85 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:13:43

Random emphasis on pronouns. Newsreaders are particularly bad for this. "Mrs May is today IN Brussels for talks". "A fire has broken out AT a shoe factory" and so on. Drives me potty and its everywhere.

lillighters85 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:14:54

Also continuity announcers using we've. "After the news we've the next instalment of Holby". No no no!!!

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 11:00:36

*@Owlbethere*, thanks! No wonder I didn't remember it too well grin Language is fascinating.

*@lillighters85*, I call that Kangaroo Talk, and the first person I noticed using it was thevileClarkson. Since then (nearly 20 years perhaps) it's caught on massively. He must be so proud.

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 11:04:58

Btw, the rheTORic thing was a professor interviewed on Sky News yesterday.

How can I take him and his professorship seriously, and therefore his supposedly wise words about whatever it was, when he says rheTORic? My head just got full of rheTORic and I heard nothing else....

HarryTheSteppenwolf Sat 16-Mar-19 13:13:31

Random emphasis on pronouns. Newsreaders are particularly bad for this. "Mrs May is today IN Brussels for talks". "A fire has broken out AT a shoe factory" and so on. Drives me potty and its everywhere.

Those aren't pronouns. They're prepositions.

lillighters85 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:54:32

Oh Lord. Yes that's what I meant. I also wrote its not it's but blame my phone and not being able to edit for that one. Sorry!

Wildcate Sat 16-Mar-19 14:00:39

PRO ject vs PROJ ect

Yuck.

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 16-Mar-19 14:25:53

heard a news reader make a right hack job of Addis Ababa the other day, ....ardice-R-BARBAR , next bulettin time it was right, they must have teased her mercilessly behind the scenes.

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 16-Mar-19 14:26:49

bulletin ....dearie me. The Typo Karma gods are very quick today. grin

Jux Sun 17-Mar-19 15:28:12

grin MsMighty

stopitandtidyupp Sun 17-Mar-19 17:24:11

PRO ject vs PROJ ect

Yuck.

First one would be a school thing to me and the second to project voice.

Wildcate Sun 17-Mar-19 20:27:11

So, @stopitandtidyupp is it a PROject Manager, or PROJect Manager?

stopitandtidyupp Sun 17-Mar-19 22:15:29

I would say it was the first one as in school project.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »