Talk

Advanced search

Would I be judged for being on sick leave

(5 Posts)
User100000 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:55:05

I’ve been off work for over five months with work related mental health problems. I’m starting to feel well enough to be looking for a less stressful job. Will my time off sick put people off employing me? I also have a long notice period of three months.

crazycatlady5 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:03:09

I was signed off an old job years ago for 6 months. I decided I was in too deep to go back so I quit. It has never affected getting another job (I’ve had 3 since). As far as I know it can’t be passed on in a reference or anything so you should be fine. Good luck OP flowers

User100000 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:23:14

Thank you, I’m also worried about the long notice period. I was aware of it when I accepted the job but at the time thought I would be there long term so I wouldn’t affect me.

AlwaysCheddar Thu 14-Mar-19 15:30:57

You can ask about sickness and attendance in a job reference. The reason can't be disclosed but they can say the facts, i.e. 3 months off work.

User100000 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:47:52

Yes I thought that was the case. I’ve always had a good sickness record before this period of sick leave.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »