Talk

Advanced search

To ask you about the times your brain has completely betrayed you and made you look a fool!

(143 Posts)
SweetMangoPie Wed 13-Mar-19 15:01:01

I've just very nearly told a client I loved them at the end of a phone call because I'm so used to saying it to DH and now I feel all flustered.

I regularly have little brain farts like this. Quite often if I'm waiting on hold for someone to pick up the phone at work I end up drifting off and when they do finally pick up, I answer as if they've called me.. 'Good afternoon, SweetMangos Workplace, Can I help?' ... Cue awkward silence.

Tell me some of your stupid brain moments!

ChanandlerBongsLeftShoe Thu 14-Mar-19 10:01:44

I do stupid things like this all the time. It's like I have baby brain with no baby sometimes!

DrBuckles Thu 14-Mar-19 10:03:07

I told a group of people that I was DH’s husband the other day. I didn’t even notice I’d done it!

GottenGottenGotten Thu 14-Mar-19 10:10:47

When I worked two jobs, I answered the phone with the wrong workplace name. Then said 'no. No, that's not right'. Thankfully the person on the other end of the phone laughed.

On the other side of the coin, I once phoned my solicitor, and the person that answered the phone answered it with the name of a competing local law firm. I knew I had dialled the right number, as it was on my phone.

GottenGottenGotten Thu 14-Mar-19 10:15:25

Can't be as bad as the story told on Graham Norton by, iirc, Stephen Mangan.

He was at an event and saw Robert De Niro, who he very much admired, and thought he would take the chance to say hello.

He goes up to him and said 'Hi, I'm Robert De Niro'.

RDN replied 'no, I'm Robert De Niro'.

SM said, 'yes, of course you are' and walked away mortified.

Or something along those lines, I'm going from memory here.

Sweetpea55 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:20:56

My DD had a long conversation on the phone with DGS headteacher.. It must have been a nice conversation because she ended it : Bye love you '. Its the way we ways end our phone calls .

GirlRaisedInTheSouth Thu 14-Mar-19 10:22:15

Years ago when I worked in the music industry a very famous DJ was at a party with me and my boss. The DJ was a huge fan of Elton John (who was at the party) but had never personally met him. My boss knew EJ well so brought him over as a surprise to meet the DJ.

Said DJ was so shocked he shook EJ’s hand and for some inexplicable reason, when EJ said “Hello”, the DJ stuttered “p..p..poofter.”

It was the weirdest thing.

JorahsMistress Thu 14-Mar-19 11:59:01

Went to my dads house once for a family gathering on my birthday, my dad opened the door and straight away said happy birthday, so i said happy birthday back to him (not weird as it was his birthday too)

Only thing was as i went through the house to say hi to people they all naturally greeted me with happy birthday, and i said it back to ALL of them confused

It was no-one else's birthday blushblush

blamethecat Thu 14-Mar-19 12:18:57

I was at work busy looking at tickets for the F1 race at Silverstone , and answered the phone 'Good morning Silverstone opticians' To my bosses husband.
I have also done the same as OP when on hold answered as if they phoned me at work, I wasn't even at work at the time.

ChanandlerBongsLeftShoe Thu 14-Mar-19 15:30:47

GottenGottenGotten

That's brilliant grin

Does anyone else smile when they are day dreaming and then realise that you've been grinning like an idiot at nothing for some time?!

GallicosCats Thu 14-Mar-19 15:37:34

You know you've spent too much time at work when you press 9 for an outside line on your mobile. grin

EmeraldShamrock Thu 14-Mar-19 15:44:24

I had a complete blank with DS preschool teachers name, I called her the wrong name, similar but wrong, think May I said June, I realised immediately but couldn't remember her name for a few minutes, she could see the panic on my face.
It was extra shitty because she is being a amazing support to DS blush

Wavingwhiledrowning Thu 14-Mar-19 15:47:22

I once hugged my manager at the end of a meeting. I don't know why I did it. It was a really stressful day and the last meeting before home time. I think my thoughts were elsewhere... He just stood there like a statue whilst I lunged at him. It was all slightly more awkward because we were in a glass meeting room on an open plan floor plate though blush. Even thinking about it as I type now is making me feel all flustered.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 14-Mar-19 15:52:22

Wavingwhiledrowning Hilarious grin

Pinkbells Thu 14-Mar-19 15:59:41

I borrowed my husband's car once, parked it in the shopping centre, then got on the bus and came back home. When I walked up the road I noticed his car was gone. 'Oh, he must be out', I thought. When I found him indoors I was even more surprised then eventually the penny came slowly down on its little parachute and I had to get the bus back to go and collect the car (which by now had a parking ticket on it).

LittleCandle Thu 14-Mar-19 16:02:54

On Monday I nearly answered the phone with my area manager's store, not my own. I was certain it was her on the line, so I suppose that was why. It was her, btw.

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 14-Mar-19 16:09:24

I've definitely signed a formal email love <cringy pet name DH calls me> xxxxx.

The worst was once when I'd just started a new job and was very nervous. I came in one day thinking I'd lost my phone. My colleague saw I looked flustered and asked what was wrong I said I'd lost my phone and I think it's been stolen as I keep calling it but it's unavailable. She looked confused and asked whose phone it was I had in my hand (that I had been using to call my phone). Ooops. I'm sure she thought I was a complete idiot from that day on.

igotdemons Thu 14-Mar-19 16:16:47

Whilst I’m sure I’ve had many a brain fart, I can’t remember any off the top of my head (!) but I will always remember one my DH had years ago at a friends’ engagement gathering as we still laugh about it now! 😂

We’d all met up in a small, local restaurant to celebrate and there were about 12 of us all on a long table. The evening had gone as expected, lots of gushing about the proposal, the ring and their future wedding plans etc. There could be no doubt that we were all gathered to celebrate an engagement.

At the end of the evening, we were the first to leave and as we and the engaged couple all stood up to say goodbye with the rest of the group watching, my DH very loudly said to the female friend of the couple “Anyway, Happy Birthday!” 😳😮

To this day my DH still doesn’t know what possessed him to say it 😂

MissionItsPossible Thu 14-Mar-19 16:19:14

I once worked in a call centre and answered the phone with "Hello, you're through to...." and then dead silence as I had completely forgotten my own name.

FullOnMonet1975 Thu 14-Mar-19 16:23:04

My MIL has a tendacy to say things then expect you to overly react. Half the time my brain zones out & shes just sat there staring at me waiting for a reaction but I have no clue what she's said. I just say "oh wow" to everything now & hope she's not just told me someones died blush

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Thu 14-Mar-19 16:23:09

@MissionItsPossible

I did something similar, said “I’ll spell my surname (as it’s unusual) that’s S I G no it isn’t, let me start again”. Hadn’t changed my name or anything just momentary brain fart!

Fortheloveofscience Thu 14-Mar-19 16:27:51

With me it’s the alpha Charlie Foxtrot thing for saying letters, can’t remember what it’s called.

My personal favourite was when on the phone I said “J for...erm...erm...Geoff” blush. Client was hmm.

MooChops89 Thu 14-Mar-19 16:29:24

When we came to view the house we now live in, as we were leaving my husband thought the landlady was going in for a hug so hugged her back, turned out she was just reaching for the door handle to let us out! He says it still makes him feel sick thinking about it grin

I'm crying laughing just thinking about it now!

Eliza9917 Thu 14-Mar-19 16:33:10

I was taking sandwich orders before a meeting started. People normally had various combinations of sausage, egg & bacon. Someone asked me what vegetarian things they had so I reeled off, ham, cheese, egg, tuna etc.

I thought he's asked what cold sandwiches there were instead of fry up sandwiches.

confused blush

StellaRae Thu 14-Mar-19 16:59:33

MooChops89 I've got the giggles really badly after reading your post!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: