Talk

Advanced search

Need to make a serious complaint about softplay who would i contact??

(95 Posts)
Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 15:03:13

On sunday past i had my two little ones at softplay (5yrs and 2yrs) we go to softplays regularly but was first time to this one as it was newly opened. We were in about 20mins and my little one had went up to top of climbing part i heard a scream and cry like hes never done before and instantly within few seconds i was at top of where he was there was a member of staff there she said aw think may have got a freight or hurt himself. His foot was stuck on net and i got him out. I didnt speak to her i just took him down in a panic i then realised he wouldnt stand or put pressure on his legs. Within minutes where more staff over at us i asked the girl who had spoken before adter i seen her walking over with another staff member and i said so ehat exactly happened ehat did he get his foot stuck on??? There was no first aider, no incident report no nothing my partner stayed there to make there way home i went right to hospital. Turns out my little one has damage to his ankle and has broken his shin from under knee to bottom of leg he is now in a full leg cast.
The staff didnt contact us, i phoned today to be told no forms where done they didnt even have note of his name and that obviously staff didnt follow guidelines but theres also a problem with a language barrier from the girl who helped him as aparently doesnt speak greatest english? But was able to tell me his leg was caught on net and she got him out???then back tracked.
He has this on upto 8weeks and if didnt heal could need surgery.
Who can i contact and is there anything i can do???

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 26-Feb-19 15:50:09

I’m sorry your little one got hurt. I agree I wouldn’t let a 2 yo near netting. Their feet can easily slip through. I agree that you have been failed under the H&S regs for not following procedure.

Myheartbelongsto Tue 26-Feb-19 15:52:37

What do you want the bottom line to be here?

What do you want the soft play centre to do about it now?

AngelaHodgeson Tue 26-Feb-19 15:58:04

They should always have a first aider on duty. Basic health and safety rules broken there surely.

They may well have had a first aider on duty. But there is no legal requirement to provide first aid for customers. Reference www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/indg214.pdf

ohdearmymistake Tue 26-Feb-19 16:00:47

OP do you know what type of fracture your child has and is the cast from below the knee or up to the hip?.

Jeeves93 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:03:28

Did you ask for a first aider or assistance at the time? It isn't clear what information you gave them. Did you give them name and contact details? Were the staff aware he was injured?

inlectorecumbit Tue 26-Feb-19 16:10:29

I don't think there is a legal obligation to have a first aider on duty as parents are responsible for supervising their DC. There is a legal obligation to have a first aider for staff on duty....
However an incident report should have been filled in and l would be informing Health and safety to investigate what happened and their procedures.

Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:14:36

This area is for children 2and over and has a sign saying adults to refrain from going in the area. Its a very small doftplay only opened few months ago. We were told childrwn can free play as it is only the one area. And is all soft cubes and mats. If my child wasnt able to be there he woukdnt have been

Budsbegginingspringinsight Tue 26-Feb-19 16:15:00

Start off by telling someone at council

RedHelenB Tue 26-Feb-19 16:16:27

Was it clear that your 2 year old was badly hurt? As others say children do fall often at soft play areas.

AnnieOH1 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:22:58

Honestly I would contact a solicitor and have them deal with everything including insurance claims. You need to concentrate in your child and I would assume you've potentially lost earnings, got extra costs in getting him round etc that you wouldn't have had were it not for their negligence. The only thing I would do myself is go back and take as many photographs as possible of the area it happened, any signage etc before they have an opportunity to alter it and claim otherwise.

Your poor little lamb, I really hope he has a swift recovery.

Nannewnannew Tue 26-Feb-19 16:24:36

From your description of the injury it sounds like spiral a fracture which is caused by a twisting injury. Maybe your son got his foot caught in the netting and his leg twisted around thus causing the fracture.

Hope he heals fully and quickly.

Cla9 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:25:11

I don’t know if you can complain unless the equipment was broken? I do think they should have done a form.
I’ve signed an accident form at two different soft plays for my son and neither incident was as bad as your son’s.

Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:25:44

As soon as my child screamed i was there within seconds. The member of staff said his foot was caught i had to get him out think he got a fright. I lifted him and went to put him down and instantly realised he wouldnt put any pressure on his legs, he was screaming in pain, i then had three different members of staff over at me again saying do you need an ice pack etc. I explained i was unsure what exactly was the issue or hurt but can see he cant walk so could have been his feet, ankle knee or hips i told them right away i was taking him to hospital there and then as it was serious. Hes two and cannot tell me other than day his leg was sore. They asked for my partners number when he left said theyd phone yesterday and didnt.he has a full length cast on from his thigh could be on for upto 8 weeks. Have another app at fracture clinic tomorrow to check cast etc. I phoned today and was told there was no form they had no details of his name or the incident etc. Within half an hour my partner received a call to his phone (number he gave as he left)"from the manager who was on that day and spoke to us. She said her staff hadnt followed the procedure if we could get in to fill in accident form etc anytime now and that there must have been a language barrier and communication problem with girl who told us what happened etc.
We go to lots of softplays and there are areas that either of my children age restrictions are not allowed to be in which is what happens and they dont get to go in it.accidents do happen i fully appreciate that however for my two year old to have a broken shin and damage to his ankle and to be told his foot was stuck just doesn't make sense to me.

Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:29:17

My son is the priority, how ever yes i am now off work i only recieve stat sick pay. And i still have to pay £185 per week for my sons nursery place which he will not be there for atleast 6weeks longer depending until the cast is off and he is fit. Accidents happen i myself worked in childcare for over 8years. But this situation just isnt adding up and i do not understand how he could have sustained this type of injury through something that is supposed to be child safe. If was a twisted ankle or something similar i would understand alot easier.

Doyoumind Tue 26-Feb-19 16:31:55

Clearly, no one on site knew what the correct procedure was, which is very worrying.

Mummy1111 Tue 26-Feb-19 16:32:28

I have contacted glasgow city council health and safety spoke to someone and gave all details and have been advised that someone from health and safety will contact me back.i just am very unsure and extremely unsettled about when taking him to appointments the fact hes a baby and yet i have been given no clear explanation as to what happened so i can explain to the hospital etc other than what i was told by that member of staff.. An extremely horrible situation.

Jaxhog Tue 26-Feb-19 16:33:54

I'd be concerned on several fronts.

1. The staff don't appear to know how to fill in an accident report
2. I'd be very concerned that staff who dion't understand enough English to follow an accident reporting procedure are in charge of very small children. How can they communicate with them?
3. The staff should not have allowed a little guy to climb a cargo net unsupervised.
4. It seems a very odd injury to sustain from climbing a cargo net.
5. Your local authority needs to be aware of this injury. Possibly the press too. Would you use a softplay where this had happened? I wouldn't.

AngelaHodgeson Tue 26-Feb-19 16:34:21

She said her staff hadnt followed the procedure if we could get in to fill in accident form etc anytime now and that there must have been a language barrier and communication problem with girl who told us what happened etc.

So the manager has realised that the procedure for accident reporting wasn't follow and is trying to get that sorted. Presumably that is a good thing? As he has required hospital treatment immediately it will be reported to HSE within the required time frame (10 days I believe) and they can make sure everything is safe.

Sorry this has happened to your DS - is his pain under control now at least?

SinkGirl Tue 26-Feb-19 16:35:18

It does seem excessive, I don’t know how this happened either.

I’m sorry to have to ask, but did the hospital run any tests to make sure that there’s no medical reason for ending up with a severe injury from something seemingly minor? I realise you don’t know that it was minor, but I would want that to be ruled out because you don’t know exactly what happened, and won’t unless they have CCTV.

Have you asked about CCTV yet? If not, I’d be contacting a solicitor to do this for you. The company and the council should have to investigate how this happened, it’s a serious injury.

Jaxhog Tue 26-Feb-19 16:36:10

I'd also be concerned that no-one can clearly explain what happened. Which means either they weren't watching him, or can't speak enough English to explain.

TryingSoVeryHard Tue 26-Feb-19 16:39:27

This sounds awful. They appear to be trying to retrospectively follow the correct procedure to cover their arses. If you see the accident firm carefully check the date they write in as recording it as I bet they backdate it. Personally I'd play no part in the form as that's their problem but you need a copy.
Suggest that you ask the consultant at hospital if he can hazard a guess as to how such an injury could have occurred. I wonder if a bigger child landed on him while he was in an odd position. But a professional might have some ideas as to how certain injuries occur.

AlexaAmbidextra Tue 26-Feb-19 16:59:05

I don’t quite know what it is you want to achieve? Certainly the staff need to follow the correct policies regarding reporting incidents etc. However, as awful as this is for your son and for you, if it was simply an accident and neither the soft play staff nor the equipment are found to be at fault then there’s nothing to be done. You will only be eligible for compensation if it can be proved that their actions or equipment were at fault and as a result your son was harmed. You don’t get compensation because they failed to follow reporting procedures.

Treefloof Tue 26-Feb-19 17:03:19

They appear to be trying to retrospectively follow the correct procedureto cover their arses.If you see the accident firm carefully check the date they write in as recording it as I bet they backdate it

This is work so not quite the same, but when I shattered my ankle and had to go to hospital with it, the accident form was filled out maybe 3 weeks later. When I could get around on crutches, the ice had gone (the ice was the cause) and my boss could be there.
It was all above board. It was dated with the day of accident and day signed. Didn't know this was wrong. But I damn sure could not have signed it on the day. I was in agony, then surgery.

AlexaAmbidextra Tue 26-Feb-19 17:04:21

Which means either they weren't watching him

I will freely admit to knowing nothing about soft play centres other than that which I’ve read on here. However, my understanding is that it’s the parent’s responsibilty to watch their child. I stand to be corrected if it is the responsibility of the staff.

Nothinglefttochoose Tue 26-Feb-19 17:04:35

So you have no idea what actually happened yet you want to go and complain? Kids do get injured using play equipment and it doesn’t need to be anyone’s fault. It would have been nice if they had contacted you to see if your son was okay but it doesn’t sound like they’ve done much wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »