Talk

Advanced search

To ask what people do for childcare in holidays?

(34 Posts)
glenthebattleostrich Sat 23-Feb-19 20:59:14

I'm a childminder and I take up to 14 year olds.

MissSueFlay Sat 23-Feb-19 20:58:00

A group of us hire a temporary nanny for holidays, some just take a couple of days a week, some of us need full time. We have hired teachers, actors, students. It's more expensive than a regular holiday club, but obviously we can decide what they do every day.

There are also specific holiday clubs that suit older DC, like science camp, or drama ones.

Imustbemad00 Sat 23-Feb-19 20:51:53

Oh, I also would t leave m youngest with other parents. He’s too unpredictable blush

Imustbemad00 Sat 23-Feb-19 20:50:27

My youngest doesn’t really like big groups, especially unfamiliar people. He’d probably be ok eventually but would take a really long time to settle and I’d feel awful.

It is a shame about my oldest (13) but unfortunately clave can’t be left. Although equally, would have a strop about having to go to any form of childcare.

On the whole though it would be much easier to sort out something for the eldest.

It’s jist so daunting the thought of how I would cope on my own, trying to manage 13 weeks of school holidays, Inset days Ect. I know lots of people do, but I’ve never had to and I’m scared of making that jump because of it’s too hard I’d struggle to get another job like I’ve got now.

Sometimes I think I should just suffer having no money for a few more years.

Merryoldgoat Sat 23-Feb-19 20:44:29

Yes - meant to say 6yo has HFA - he manages fine in all of those scenarios as long as he has warning and the leaders are sensitive, which they are.

Merryoldgoat Sat 23-Feb-19 20:43:30

School-age DC combination of holiday clubs, childminder, annual leave and family.

Baby goes to childminder.

I work three days a week - total childcare bill is between £750 and £1000 a month depending on the month.

I’m using tax free childcare which saves us around £150 a month.

drspouse Sat 23-Feb-19 20:39:05

We have a 7 yo and a smaller DC.
We use holiday club which runs 7 weeks of the holidays (not Christmas, or some half term days, not ALL summer). So we spend the other days with the DCs. They run fairly normal hours (7.45-5.45) which is totally workable. They cope well with our DC that has SEN and they take from other schools as do most of the other clubs so if you don't think your DD will cope with one, try another.
Teenagers can go to PGL, or Scout/Guide/sports camps, or send them to one well trusted friend and then you do both teens the next day?

Stopwoofing Sat 23-Feb-19 20:34:40

Why wouldn’t they cope in a holiday club? That’s what you do with kids in the holidays if you have to work, unless you can find a university student etc but that’s more expensive and less regulated.

Similarly, it’s shame you can’t trust your teen to look after themselves, that sounds really hard.

Can you arrange any swap days with other parents? The only other thing I could think you could do was a reciprocal arrangement with other parent(s)

Imustbemad00 Sat 23-Feb-19 20:27:00

I’m lucky that I work term time, but the money is terrible. I’m thinking about other career options but genuinely do not know what I’d do with my kids. I’m a single parent and no family would have them, not on a regular basis anyway. My oldest is a teenager now and I know people say they can be left alone but I know mine would go completely off the rails hanging around with the wrong crowd and getting up to all sorts if they had that much freedom. My youngest is 7, too old for childminders ect but probably wouldn’t cope in a holiday club environment and I think the hours are limited in those.
What do people do with similar ages kids?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »