Talk

Advanced search

To think induced labours are more painful?

(121 Posts)
amrscot Mon 18-Feb-19 20:57:15

Have been told by diabetes midwife likely to be induced anytime after 37/38 weeks.

Everyone I've spoken to who has had an induced labour has said the pain was much more horrendous than when they went naturally with there other DCs.

AIBU to think induced labours are always more intense or is that not always true?

amrscot Mon 18-Feb-19 21:52:40

@Boulardii no, thank you for being honest!!

I'd rather people be honest so I know what to expect and prepare myself (kind of) than not be truthful.

fadingfast Mon 18-Feb-19 21:53:23

Both of my labours were induced, the first at 37 weeks, second 38 weeks. First time took 24 hours in total, first pessary didn't work so had a second (I think it was 6 hours later?). Started things off quite slowly so they eventually broke my waters and put me on the drip to speed things along. I was also advised to have an epidural, which I'm glad I did. Had to have assisted delivery in the end (ventouse) and think I only escaped a caesarean by a whisker. Second time around was much quicker, once my waters broke I dilated very quickly and second stage lasted just a few minutes. No drip and no epidural. All round a much better experience. Very much depends on position of baby. Also I expect the epidural meant additional interventions. But I was still very glad of it!

Terramirabilis Mon 18-Feb-19 21:53:25

Reality is, induction doesn't sound like it's optional for you (as is the case for many, most? who have it.)

I had one "natural" that started at 13 days overdue - I could have voluntarily agreed to be induced once I was seven days overdue per hospital policy but didn't want to.

I had one induced due to a concern about the baby's health (although not an emergency). They spent hours upon hours trying more gentle methods of induction which did precisely zero. The drip was the only thing that did anything and I ended up with what was technically a <3 hour labour (albeit with 18 hours of failed and pretty painful attempts to induce before it.) Fortunately the baby was completely fine and the supposed health issue didn't actually exist.

Induction may be associated with greater likely of further interventions, but as with everything pregnancy, that's completely beside the point if induction is likely to give you the best outcome based on your circumstances. Some like you will have health reasons of mother or baby, some tend to go hugely overdue like me and therefore end up being induced to avoid the risks of postterm birth. Just read up on your pain relief options and don't give a moment's consideration to anyone (including your own brain) who tries to suggest you are "failing" or "not doing it properly" if you have an epidural. Epidurals are great! I've had two.

amrscot Mon 18-Feb-19 21:53:27

I'm thinking with induction it's best to get an epidural, even though I've said all the way through I don't want one sad

Almostfifty Mon 18-Feb-19 21:57:32

I was induced for my fourth child. It was definitely a sharper pain than the other labours, but I managed with gas and air same as I did with the others.

Try moving around, it worked for me. Good luck!

Flatwhite32 Mon 18-Feb-19 21:59:27

I've only got one DC and was induced. The contractions were agony, but a bit more manageable with diamorphine. I soon forgot all about it when DD arrived though smile. Good luck!

ReaganSomerset Mon 18-Feb-19 22:01:00

I'm very anti-epidural due to massive needle-phobia, but if they needed to give me a drip to induce I'd definitely have one! At the end of the day, OP, it's just one day and whatever happens, you will both be fine. And that's all that matters, really.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Mon 18-Feb-19 22:01:21

The drip really hurts
Oh lord - they shouldn’t give it without an epidural

Normal childbirth was OK after that bad but bearable

Sorry to scare you , but wanted to be honest . Be very assertive that the pains are highly intense and if they advise it you request an epi

And if they can’t offer that ask for a more gentle method flowers

And easy to say but stay calm

LadyBunker Mon 18-Feb-19 22:04:51

No, I don't think you are, as I've had one completely natural labour, one augmented and one fully induced and augmented and I cannot have epidurals. So I can tell you conclusively that in my experience, induced and/or augmented labour is most certainly more painful. The difference in pain between my completely natural birth and my birth that was induced with pessary, waters broken at 1cm and drip up to full whack for hours on end was like the difference between a having a sharp little stone in your shoe and stepping on a plug barefoot.

dragonmummy17 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:09:00

I had induction with ARM and drip after pessary only got me to 2cm after 36 hours.
Induced at 39 weeks due to reduced growth and 2 episodes of reduced movement.
I managed to stay active on the birthing ball and pushed on all fours despite constant fetal monitoring- you don't have to be stuck on the bed
I used gas and air and diamorphine. By the time I asked for an epidural I was 7cm and too late.
Each birth is different though... if you think you need an epidural then push for one

tinkerbellla Mon 18-Feb-19 22:14:31

Apparently you can insist on getting the epidural set up beforehand which I didn't know and wish I had! Not sure if that's actually true but worth asking. Mine only worked for 30 mins but was amazing. If only it hadn't worn off for the pushing bit shock.

Tunnocks34 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:16:42

My induction labour was brill, has and air only and labour lasted about 90 minutes from first contraction to my son being born..

I only had the pessary though, and when the nurse inserted it I was already 1cm dilated so I guess I was close to naturally going into labour.

All in all I found it a much less painful experience than my first natural birth.

user1471426142 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:16:43

If I need the drip again I will ask for the epidural before the drugs go in. I managed for about 4-5 hours on the drip before I needed the epidural.

Tinyteatime Mon 18-Feb-19 22:16:45

Mine was horrendous, and that’s compared to a back to back 1st labour. Just get an epidural if you are put on the drip. It’s a godsend.

PerfectlyPetty Mon 18-Feb-19 22:18:53

I’ve had three induced labours.

First time I was put on the drip and it was awful. I had an epidural, lots of intervention, nearly an emergency c section. I put it down to the epidural which I only needed because of the drip.

Second and third inductions I point blank refused the drip...so they gave me the pessary grudgingly but not the drip. They were much better and I delivered both with no interventions and more quickly and less pain.

I would do anything to avoid having the drip again tbh.

ATBhinchers Mon 18-Feb-19 22:19:19

Fuck me yes. It hurts so bad. Literally. But you forget about it after a while!

switswoo81 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:22:08

2 induced labours , one for plus term one for gd.
Baby one the epidural was given at the same time as drip started. (3cm)Lovely experience slept for few hours pushed a bit baby out .
Baby two drip in , went from 2cm
To 9 cm in about 90 mins. Horrendous Epidural in baby born twenty mins later.
My advice if the drip is suggested get the epidural... no need to suffer that.

Nat6999 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:23:45

I didn't cope well with my induction, I had the pessary for 24 hours, my waters broken & then the syntocin drip. I couldn't cope with the pain, I was hysterical, the pain went from zero to 100 straight away, I was begging for more pain relief, the gas & air didn't help, just made me feel very sick & dizzy, they refused to give me diamorphine, my only option was an epidural. I had to wait over 3 hours for an anaesthetist to come to give the epidural, I'd got pre eclampsia, was extremely unwell, my blood pressure was dangerously high, over the next 24 hours they ramped up the syntocin to the highest level possible but I only dilated to 8cm before they forced me to have an EMCS. I had a massive haemorrhage, HELLP syndrome & ended up in high dependency for 48 hours, drugged up to the eyeballs. The care I received once I moved on to the post natal ward was extremely poor, everything I'd gone through had affected my mental health very badly, nobody sat down & explained why everything had happened, nobody asked me if I was ok, I'd gone 5 days with practically no sleep but was expected to be up & about, I got no support from the midwives on the ward, I was very tearful & got told off, that I was attention seeking & feeling sorry for myself. After 2 days, I discharged myself to go home to the care of my own midwife, my husband & my mum. I had very bad post natal depression that lasted years & symptoms of PTSD, I still have nightmares about what happened to me 15 years later & have been left with a massive phobia of hospitals & medical treatment. I never had another baby, I don't think I would have coped with going through birth & delivery again.

PencereTencere Mon 18-Feb-19 22:24:31

I've had two inductions and so don't have anything to compare them to - but both were very intense and swift. Each time the baby was born within 12 hours of the induction starting, though intervention was needed both times.

Blissx Mon 18-Feb-19 22:24:55

Although I went into labour, with my first naturally, I was put on the drip after 4 hours of pushing, to try and ramp up the frequency of contractions to get DD out and my goodness, the drip was far far worse than my natural contractions (that were already final stage intensity). No wave to start or finish, just ‘bam’! No warning. I couldn’t bare it.
So yes, I truly believe that ‘drip’ contractions are far far worse than natural ones but the pessary (which I have since had) is NOT worse than natural contractions-the pessary is far different to the ‘drip’ and fine.

Sweetooth92 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:26:45

Don’t stress about it, my son was a starange one, waters broke but labour didn’t establish. Home birth fell through as BP read high (read normal once arrived at the hospital annoyingly) I was point blank refusing to stay in so needed to deliver within 24 hours of my waters breaking that morning to avoid being kept in after delivery so Insisted on the hormone drip straight away rather than waiting another 8 hours to take me to the 24 they would usually begin to help things along. The anaesthetist repeatedly told me to have an epidural as induction is painful and I’d want it but I refused one. DS was delivered with gas and air only and I wouldn’t say it was overly painful at all. Don’t work yourself up about it and just take each stage as it comes. Go in with an open mind and take what you need when you need, rather than convincing yourself to have one now 😊 good luck

stopfuckingshoutingatme Mon 18-Feb-19 22:28:31

Poor OP
Whilst not discrediting others horror stories please don’t assume it will end in disaster

But push for epidural
OK

Crunchymum Mon 18-Feb-19 22:31:45

I have done an augmented labour and my induction without an epidural (I'm not boasting, but want the OP to know an epidural isn't always required. I opted against it with the augmented labour which ended up with the drip and I wouldn't have had time for it with my induced labour!)

LittleCandle Mon 18-Feb-19 22:33:33

Mine were pretty much the same. I was induced first time and natural the second time. Neither time did I have a build up. I was slap bang into a quick labour, so there is no truth to this. Some people find labour horrifically painful and others don't. It depends on the individual.

curtaintrail Mon 18-Feb-19 22:36:07

I had a drip induction after a failed foley catheter. It took ages for my labour to start (and I was 15 days overdue).

T'was quick active labour, mind. But I wouldn't say hugely painful. Am 5'2'' and baby was average weight. I had done anti natal yoga beforehand but my abiding memory of the labour immediately afterwards was 'oh I could do that again!' Couldn't have been that painful, then!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »