Talk

Advanced search

To not buy all new stuff for school each year?

(71 Posts)
WhoWants2Know Thu 30-Aug-18 09:16:17

My kids think I'm being unreasonable. I've replaced some clothes that they've outgrown or worn out last year, but lots of things still fit and are wearable. I got them lunch bags during the summer term last year, so they are nearly new. Their water bottles and book bags from the last year are still fine.

Does everyone really completely replace all their kids school stuff every single year? My kids are determined that all of their mates have completely new stuff and I'm mean.

rainingcatsanddog Thu 30-Aug-18 10:20:05

I replace when needed.

Would you refuse to replace because it wasn't the start of the new school year? My son is particular always seems to need new shoes in May and becomes too tall for his trousers in March. I replace them when they are unsuitable.

Firenight Thu 30-Aug-18 10:21:14

I just replace what needs it. New PE kit for the eldest as his old stuff has been passed down to younger sibling.

Ansumpasty Thu 30-Aug-18 10:22:34

Unform I replace because mine are at the fast growing stage and it’s all worn out and ripped.
I don’t replace school book bags or water bottles!
I also don’t go buying a new coat, just because, like some parents do.

Armi Thu 30-Aug-18 10:25:22

We always get a new pencil case and pencils, myself included. I suffer from September Excitement- I love the ‘new beginning’ feeling and, as a teacher, make the sort of rashly optimistic resolutions lots of people make on 1st January about eating mung beans and going to the gym, but mine are all about marking books on time and being patient with work colleagues.

I only buy what uniform is needed, though, thus freeing up cash for more notebooks and nice marking pens.

Peoplemaynoticeus Thu 30-Aug-18 10:32:22

I always do, but again this is something that stems from my shit childhood

madmomma Thu 30-Aug-18 10:33:19

I agree with lemony - play the environmental/waste card. They learn a lot about the environment at school these days, and it works. Mine have given up their beloved Nutella because of palm oil! Seriously, it's madness to replace stuff that doesn't need replacing, but lots of kids will have brand new everything because of their parents' hangups.

lavendersunflowers Thu 30-Aug-18 10:38:03

We always used to get new pencil cases smile

Coloursthatweremyjoy Thu 30-Aug-18 10:39:17

I only replace things if they are outgrown or worn out. I tend not to replace things in the summer term even if they are quite tatty though as my children seem to shoot up over the holidays.

This year my youngest is going up to secondary and the price of all new uniform/sports stuff and stationary has been eye watering. I can't imagine doing that every year!

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Thu 30-Aug-18 10:41:35

I replace what needs replacing - and as much as possible from the school's second-hand uniform shop, so it's still not "new". All I've bought brand new for this term is new outdoor shoes for DD, new indoor ones for DS, and a couple of new dresses and shorts when M&S had 25% off.

We are reasonably well off, but I hate waste. So far the kids are too young to object, but DD at least is keen on being eco, so would probably accept that as a reason.

Longdistance Thu 30-Aug-18 10:46:10

My dds have got new shirts, dresses, trousers and socks. They didn’t get shoes or cardigans as I bought these in June. They’ll still be using some of their old uniform, as some of it’s still good.

tomhazard Thu 30-Aug-18 10:48:10

I've just replaced uniform as needed. Unfortunately this is pretty much everything except skirts but I wouldn't replace for the sake of it.

Menarefrommarsitwouldseem Thu 30-Aug-18 10:48:12

They've both had new skirts/trousers etc as they're looking a little on the tatty side

I've replaced all of their shirts as they look decidedly grey instead of white.

Youngest needed new PE top and trainers but eldest PE kit is still fine. Likewise with coats. Eldest dc growing has slowed down significantly but the youngest is having constant growth spurts.

Cardigans and blazer no they're using those until they're needed.

Both needed new shoes.

And they've both had a new bag and pencil case.

Still cost me a fortune!

00100001 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:50:03

Outpinked "I also always replace shoes" - but why, if they still fit? Or is it that they just happen not to fit any more?

00100001 Thu 30-Aug-18 10:52:26

These people saying school bags don't last - my DBo (27) still has his from Y7 at secondary - black Nike one! Still going string grin

thatsmycustard Thu 30-Aug-18 10:54:37

I replace any clothes when they’re worn or outgrown, same goes for school uniform including shoes. DD has new shoes in May so we had them fit checked last week, DS needed new but has only just outgrown last years pair. Our school don’t allow pencil cases, I bought new lunch bags this year as the previous ones were four years old and starting to look tatty.

Iseveryusernametaken Thu 30-Aug-18 13:33:03

I had to buy new trousers for DD as last years' were barely biting her ankles. She wore dresses in the summer and appears to have grown at the same rate as our sunflowers since May. I've added to cardigans as some were still okay and again, added to Polo's to remove damaged/stained ones. Her feet appear to grow one full size each year so I replace pumps and trainers in September and school shoes in September and Easter holiday.

ScienceRoar Thu 30-Aug-18 14:35:50

You aren't being unreasonable at all! My kids get only get new kit when they outgrow it (second hand where possible) or if it wears out.
Don't be a sucker to marketing campaigns/peer pressure.

You only have a finite amount of money.
You only have a finite amount of time for going shopping.
We only have one planet.

5000KallaxHoles Thu 30-Aug-18 14:45:04

It's mainly new here, with the decent old stuff being as spares (we leave a lot in school for DD2 as she has accidents a lot) just because they've shot up in height in the time they've been in summer uniform and needed new stuff anyway. Once they're older and it's less of a war of attrition and stain remover on uniform I won't replace as much but right now we're right in the middle of whiteboard pen and poster paint hell and last year's stuff was shot to hell (and the bottom half simply outgrown).

Water bottles and book bags - nope - although our school sell replacement tops for the school water bottles (which is a fucking brilliant idea) so I'll buy new ones of those and keep the bottles going a bit longer. Shoes needed doing anyway as they obligingly timed going up a shoe size for the summer holidays!

There's a child in DD1's class who makes very very unkind remarks if kids clothes are in the least bit stained or tatty and has gone after DD1 in the past for whiteboard pen marks on her cardigan so I probably replace a bit earlier than I'd like to since there's no chance of school reining in this child's comments and we're stuck in the same class for another year and I don't want DD1 to have to feel like that if it's avoidable. Sad but true.

chocolateavocado99 Thu 30-Aug-18 14:49:14

I replace uniforms that are tatty or too small.
We always buy new shoes, backpacks and water bottles but I think that is because as a child, I didn't wear uniforms and back to school shopping was always a lot of fun.
We live overseas and support several local charities. My dcs know how fortunate they are and we do our bit for the environment so I don't feel it is too excessive. They also don't get much throughout the year, unless they desperately need replacing.

EmpressJewel Thu 30-Aug-18 15:34:50

I replace every year, but that's because the uniform generally needs replacing by the end of the school year - it's either becoming too small or is looking tatty.

I'd end up replacing uniform once a year anyway, so I may as well get it once it's in stock and take advantage of offers.

I haven't replaced their jumpers and shoes as we bought them after Easter.

steppemum Thu 30-Aug-18 15:50:00

I do replace as needed, and anythign that still fits/works from last year has to be re-used, I do try and eek things out to the end of term though.
But I find in September that when we try everything on, loads is now too small. It was probably borderline in June/July, and now won't pass!
I find I always have to get shoes.
So I have just bought:-
school shoes x 3
pe trainers x 2
out of school shoes/trainers x 2
new socks x 3 kids
new trousers x 3 kids
new polos x 1kid

These were all bought as last year's are too small. For 2 kids though, their trousers lasted 2 years (secondary)

dd1 needs new blazer and uniform shirts, but she will get them from the second hand shop once school is back. Blazer was needed in May/June, but then weather was warm, so she hasn't worn it at all.

plus new pencil case for one and new pens for both secondary kids.
also got conned into one new rucksack, and a Harry Potter T-shirt while we were out. Not sure how that crept into the trolley!

Idontbelieveinthemoon Thu 30-Aug-18 15:54:54

DS1 is going into Y8 so needed a few new shirts and trousers as he'd outgrown most of the ones from Y7. New shoes and a new school bag because he's pretty hard on his. I haven't replaced his school coat as he never wears it, telling me nobody does.

DS2 is moving to Junior school so everything has been brand new, but next September if stuff still fits it'll stay in his wardrobe.

Both of their schools have a 'spare uniform' system where you drop off the clean, ironed uniform and they can give it to anyone who can use it or use it for spares when it's needed. It's a great idea because I hate the thought of all that uniform going to waste.

Mine seem to get through a lot of uniform simply because they grow so quickly; both are very tall and skinny, and both go up at least 3 shoe sizes every school year. That's a lot of waste.

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 30-Aug-18 16:08:56

I only ever buy what is needed and judging on previous threads on School uniform a lot less than other parents . I also make use of hand me downs and second hand shop. It just feels wasteful to do anything differently.

AbeautifulBeast Thu 30-Aug-18 17:27:42

Mine get new 'everything' for September. I grew up as the child that had to make do and mend (usually meant trousers had holes in the crotch where they had rubbed awayblush) and it is not fun. I was a walking advertisement for bullies!!!
I will do whatever it takes for my children never to dread school because they don't have decent clothes to wear. I know this is my issue but it doesn't change how I feel about it.

AdventuresRUs Thu 30-Aug-18 17:32:39

So youd replace something fine with soemthing the same??

I dont get that to be honest!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: