Talk

Advanced search

My sister has joined a pyramid scheme - I'm trapped.

(92 Posts)
lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:28:00

Basically that, she's gone absolutely bat shit. I get texts, Facebook tags and invites to be a host and buy ridiculously expensive tat I don't need. Even DM has given in and bought the stuff too, I would have thought that 3 months later she would have given in. I don't get It, she's employed so she must genuinely love the products? Aibu to not support her.. I've had 5 texts over the last 2 days to buy. Eugggh

isseywithcats Fri 23-Feb-18 13:30:44

No is a complete sentence just because shes your sister dosent mean you have to buy off her, ignore texts, delete the facebook tags and invites she will soon get the message that shes wasting her time trying to get you on board

JustVent Fri 23-Feb-18 13:32:01

Oh god which one is it?

You just have to be honest, and firm.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Fri 23-Feb-18 13:35:08

They brainwash people who join and tell them that their friends and family who don’t buy from them are not supporting their “business”. The whole thing is like a cult.

It’s a lot of shit and I am amazed people are still gullible enough to get sucked in.

lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:37:51

I've been doing the ignore approach, it's clearly not working. My poor mum, she's going to another 'party, with no obligation to buy' 🙄🙄

FromageRay Fri 23-Feb-18 13:38:51

e-mail her a link to this blog!
https://ellebeaublog.com

LML83 Fri 23-Feb-18 13:41:36

I read ellebeau blog, it's so clear how people get sucked in. Start off naive/hopeful, end up brain washed/in too deep to walk away.

ScattyCharly Fri 23-Feb-18 13:44:52

Maybe start by showing your mum the blog the above poster linked to. Do you think she would have more success helping your sister out of this mess? The blog includes at the end how the person shifted all the shite she was left with.

It actually must be really personally crushing for a person to get sucked in and trapped like this. Would your mum be in a position to help your sister out of the mess financially?

ChasedByBees Fri 23-Feb-18 13:47:12

Have you tried being really direct? Just saying that you support her venture but the products don’t interest you so you won’t be buying them at all.

SleepingInNewYork Fri 23-Feb-18 13:48:35

I just don’t understand how so many seemily normal, sensible and intelligent people are sucked in to MLM!

FellOutOfBed2wice Fri 23-Feb-18 13:49:22

Read Elle Beaus blog. It’s really opened my eyes and had advice on how to help loved ones who’ve been sucked in to MLMs ellebeaublog.com

It’s essentually a cult.

pigshavecurlytails Fri 23-Feb-18 13:49:30

Just say that you aren't going to buy it, ignore the emails. If she starts on a phone call, hang up.

JennyOnAPlate Fri 23-Feb-18 13:50:19

Oh god I really feel for you. A close friend of mine was sucked in by one last year (jamberry if anyone's interested.) Her recent Facebook posts have been all about how her earnings so far have paid for a new MacBook and a week at Disney land Paris for her family of 5. Which is odd because poking at the Facebook page she only seems to have about 4 customers.

I hope your poor mum isn't spending money she can't afford?

VaguelyAware Fri 23-Feb-18 13:50:30

My sister did this... had my mum buying the crap too. They came over to mine one evening, after we'd each had a (very small) gift of money left to us. (Bearing in mind I'm chronically ill & DH was unemployed.) She suggested I should use it to start my own business, how convenient. I made vague unsure noises, muted her on FB etc. After about 6 months she gave up & a year later she stopped selling the rubbish. It was a looooong 18 months & I did hide quite a few times when I saw her in town. blush

RealityHasALiberalBias Fri 23-Feb-18 13:52:06

My sister got into one of these years ago. She got over it after a year or so, and I ignored it until she did. No idea how much money she may have lost.

lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:52:06

Thanks for the blog, I'm going to make a ☕ and have a read. To be honest scatty she's never given and indication that she's struggling financially, or to DM. But I think I'll speak with mum again to see if that could be a reason. Maybe she just genuinely loves the products? Surely not?! The texts have become daily and she sends these out to everyone in her phone book.

lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:53:05

She is jenny she's started working over time but still gives money to sister to support her.

TheHolidayArmadillo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:54:25

Now now, not a pyramind. Them's illegal. It's more of a trapezoid.

lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 13:54:50

Wow vaguelyaware she sounds like she was well and truly sucked in at that point to even suggest It!

LemonShark Fri 23-Feb-18 13:57:12

Sorry I don't understand, how are you trapped?

If you give in to pestering and buy you've just reinforced her actions and set yourself up for more of the same in the future.

loopsdefruit Fri 23-Feb-18 14:00:24

This video is good, maybe share with her/people around her if she's in too deep

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

k2p2k2tog Fri 23-Feb-18 14:01:27

You just have to keep saying NO. Loudly, firmly and like a stuck record.

lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 14:01:38

It was in jest, lemon she's my sister, not someone I can block and ignore. I'm going to show her the blog. A friend of mine quit her job and joined another mom scheme. She's forever posting about holidays she's going on that the company are sending her on. Surely she's forking out for That?!

lalaroo Fri 23-Feb-18 14:02:08

*mlm

SummerRoberts Fri 23-Feb-18 14:05:50

Obviously I don't know your relationship with your sister, but my sister and I can be really blunt and honest with each other. If she started getting involved in pyramid schemes like this, I'd probably laugh in her face and tell her what an idiot she was being. I know she'd be the same with me. Are you able to honestly tell her what you really think?
I think a sister or mum are maybe some of the only people that could honestly say "come on, this is a really bad idea".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: