Talk

Advanced search

To think that periods are a thing of the past?

(303 Posts)
FFSenoughalready Mon 22-Jan-18 18:13:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FucksBizz Mon 22-Jan-18 18:15:25

Periods will never be a thing of the past, because biology

TheQueenOfWands Mon 22-Jan-18 18:16:05

The velociraptor currently having a tantrum in my uterus says no, you're wrong.

SimultaneousEquation Mon 22-Jan-18 18:17:39

QueenOfWands wins the internet today

ObiJuanKenobi Mon 22-Jan-18 18:18:37

@TheQueenOfWands grin

iBiscuit Mon 22-Jan-18 18:20:37

Bring it on (or rather not on), I say.

Monoblock67 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:20:46

If I was on contraception that stopped my periods I’d be freaking out every month that I was pregnant shock

Namelesswonder Mon 22-Jan-18 18:21:23

I opt for a contraceptive which means I have no periods. Haven't had once since my youngest child was born 10 years ago. Why wouldn't you?

GummyGoddess Mon 22-Jan-18 18:21:47

That would be lovely, but if I use contraception that prevents periods it makes me miserable and gives me migraines.

One of the reasons I decided to try breastfeeding was the promise of periods being delayed grin

taskmaster Mon 22-Jan-18 18:21:51

Of course they aren't, what a silly question.

caoraich Mon 22-Jan-18 18:21:55

I actually do see where you're coming from. I was on the combined pill from my early teens and chose to just have one period every 3 months, then spent a bit of time travelling and the antimalarials stopped the absorption so I got surprise periods again! Then a number of years period-less on the POP. We're ttc and I'm now having the first "proper" periods I've had in years - they're bloody grim!!
I certainly intend to go back on POP asap.
I imagine there will always be people who don't want hormonal contraception though

WeirdCatLady Mon 22-Jan-18 18:22:59

After having dd, I had the depo injection and now the coil. Haven’t had a period since 2000. It is heaven.

blackteasplease Mon 22-Jan-18 18:23:17

I thought this was going to be a trans thread (sorry).

Because women don't have periods and you can't say women do or your are a terf.

DeadGood Mon 22-Jan-18 18:23:40

“I opt for a contraceptive which means I have no periods. Haven't had once since my youngest child was born 10 years ago. Why wouldn't you?”

Because messing around with our hormones is strange. It can’t be good for us. We are meant to have periods! (Admittedly not as many as modern women do, as we spend so little time pregnant, but still...)

iBiscuit Mon 22-Jan-18 18:24:46

Mono after the first few months you get used to it, and for any moments of doubt there are ridiculously cheap pregnancy tests available these days, from Amazon et al.

"Periods" on the Pill aren't actual periods anyway; it's only on entirely non-hormonal methods of contraception that you have them.

Youngmystery Mon 22-Jan-18 18:25:26

I still get periods on the implant but they aren't as bad and little to no pain. I took it out for a few years and regretted it. Every month was agony.

I kind of want to try the coil though as the implant makes me moodier, but I really don't want the pain again. Pill isn't an option as I'd never remember to take it, I'm useless for stuff like that.

passthepotatoes Mon 22-Jan-18 18:26:19

I hate mine but I'm glad to have them I'd be scared to use something that stopped them and messed with what was supposed to happen

MonaTheMoaner Mon 22-Jan-18 18:27:25

My best friend is on the mini pill and never gives herself a break so never gets a period. When I was on the implant I used to test every two months because to me no period = a possibility of being pregnant.

Periods will never be a thing of the past but it seems more and more common that women are opting out of having theirs and I do wonder if it’s beneficial or not.

FFSenoughalready Mon 22-Jan-18 18:27:44

MadisonMontgomery Mon 22-Jan-18 18:28:09

I still have periods! I’m sure somebody more intelligent than me will come along and explain that I’m an idiot, but I don’t think it can really be good for you to fiddle around with hormones so you don’t have a period every month.

FFSenoughalready Mon 22-Jan-18 18:29:00

Chienrouge Mon 22-Jan-18 18:29:39

I can’t use hormonal contraception and know lots of other people who can’t, so we still have periods!

FuzzyCustard Mon 22-Jan-18 18:30:27

I am post menopausal so don't have periods. but I did have them for MANY years. So that accounts for one of your women in the office...not exactly a choice, more an eventual inevitability for us all..

FFSenoughalready Mon 22-Jan-18 18:30:55

expatinscotland Mon 22-Jan-18 18:32:05

I have yet to try a form of contraception that stopped my periods entirely. They don't in about 15% of users. Some people have horrendous problems with bleeding on Depo, for example. I had a Mirena and never stopped bleeding for 10 months, not once, even when they gave me a pill to stop it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: