Talk

Advanced search

A flash is not a twinkle

(15 Posts)
Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 02:05:26

First world problem alert.

Every Christmas I promise myself that I'm going to find some 'twinkling' lights for my tree. Every year I buy a new set of so-advertised lights and every bloody time I end up with another set of bloody flashing lights, not twinkling lights!

Does anyone even understand what I'm talking about, and AIBU to consider this false advertising!?

FastWindow Sat 25-Nov-17 02:08:02

Is there a black box with 7 settings?

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 02:14:24

Yes, there is always a box with different settings, one of which is always supposed to be a 'twinkle' but it never is!

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 02:15:03

Here is an example of something that is advertised as twinkling lights, but to me those are clearly flashing lights...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=32sxr6oyWCw

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sat 25-Nov-17 02:27:47

I think that video shows twinkling lights OP.

Just get static ones and blink every now and then. grin

FastWindow Sat 25-Nov-17 02:27:54

Seem twinkly to me. Can you not select the slow dimmer version? That's quite gentle?

PerspicaciaTick Sat 25-Nov-17 02:35:25

The lights in the video are flashing too fast to be a true twinkle. Twinkling is slower and the transitions need to be gentler (dimming up and down rather than flashing on and off).

Thishatisnotmine Sat 25-Nov-17 02:56:31

Yes I know what you mean. I've seen twinkling, they exist but not in the lights I bought! I think garden centres with Christmas sections often have them all on display so you can really check. But then you have to pay garden centre Christmas prices!

ForagingForFaerieGold Sat 25-Nov-17 02:58:15

I know exactly what you mean. I was having this same conversation with DH a few days ago. They ALL look like bloody disco lights. I've given up.

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 12:06:55

Any place I've gone where the lights are on display (garden centre, department store, etc) never has proper twinkling lights.

I took to ordering them on the internet and checking ahead of time whether the lights would actually twinkle. The answer was always 'yes'; the reality was always 'no'. They blink, they flash, they don't twinkle...

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 12:14:37

I think I may have discovered the explanation on another forum. It was all a bit technical but something to do with new regulations not allowing the "old skool" twinkling lights to be sold any more. I couldn't pretend to understand the conversation — something about it requiring alternating wattages on select bulbs that is apparently no longer allowed.
Bah humbug!

PerspicaciaTick Sat 25-Nov-17 12:16:47

But if LED tealights can do a decent flickery twinkle, why can't Christmas lights?

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 12:43:16

PerspicaciaTick Can they? I'm not sure what kind of lights you're referring to.
I found these but again, they are too 'blinky' rather than twinkly.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQmMTePUg2I

PerspicaciaTick Sat 25-Nov-17 15:38:46

I was thinking of this sort of thing
www.amazon.co.uk/Flickering-Flame-Real-Candles-Cream/dp/B00P2LECVA?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Chrys2017 Sat 25-Nov-17 16:38:36

Oh yes. I know what you mean. I actually had some of those once but didn't like the look of the 'wax' part so gave them away for Halloween pumpkins. But yes they might be better for a Christmas tree. Not exactly what I meant but better than disco lights! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now