Talk

Advanced search

To post 'Je suis Sinai... or are we not doing that?' on Facebook?

(26 Posts)
MostPeopleAreCunts Fri 24-Nov-17 23:12:15

I won't, because it's passive aggressive and provocative, so I'm posting here instead. But it really fucks me off that when there's a terrorist atrocity in a western European/ English-speaking country, Faceache is full of flag frames and emotional statuses, but when it's a muslim country, it's business as usual and not a single mention. Two-tiered values much? hmm

Imalloutofoptions Fri 24-Nov-17 23:14:30

'He Suis' is French. Sinai isn't in France. You can post whatever you like on fb, you don't need permission. I do agree with your actual point though.

Imalloutofoptions Fri 24-Nov-17 23:14:52

Je Suis*

Mookatron Fri 24-Nov-17 23:16:35

Well. I know what you mean. But Facebook tears don't actually do anything anyway so I'm not sure it's worth bothering with.

NeverTwerkNaked Fri 24-Nov-17 23:19:26

I’ve never done it for any of them. I kind of get what you mean; what has happened in Egypt is totally and utterly heartbreaking- horrific beyond words. But Paris attacks, for instance, feelmuch closer to home because, well, it is. I knew several people at the Bataclan that night, for instance.

fleurjasmine Fri 24-Nov-17 23:20:49

I think it's normal to be more shocked and horrified the closer to home something is, which extends across the world and across history to a large extent.

MorrisZapp Fri 24-Nov-17 23:23:07

Sorry but this annoys me. Of course people are generally more upset when atrocities happen in places they've visited, places they have friends, places where the people live just like they do. Please don't lecture me on who I'm supposed to mourn for and why.

Ladydepp Fri 24-Nov-17 23:26:19

I genuinely don't think it's a religion thing, I think it's a distance thing. Because so many people living in the UK have been to Paris or London or Manchester or New York we identify closely with those places. Most people I know (I'm in the UK) have never been to and don't know anybody in Egypt. So it just feels a bit too distant to have the same sort of emotional resonance. I'm not saying it's right but I don't think it's about religion.

I'm similarly surprised by how little we are hearing about the earthquake in Iran...

MostPeopleAreCunts Fri 24-Nov-17 23:26:40

I've never posted or said 'Je suis [anything]' either, and Imall obviously I know it's French, but it became the shorthand for a certain sort of virtue-signalling outpouring of emotion on social media that happens when bad things happen to (mostly) white people.

ReinettePompadour Fri 24-Nov-17 23:26:54

You need better faceache friends. Mines full of prayers/condolences/offers of help for the dreadful event today in Egypt.

fleurjasmine Fri 24-Nov-17 23:29:58

I don't think my friends not mentioning it means they are 'bad' Facebook friends. The world is filled with atrocities: for a myriad of reasons, some hit closer to home than others.

DorisDangleberry Fri 24-Nov-17 23:30:15

How about Je suis Oxford Circus? Apparently a number of people lost their shopping

MostPeopleAreCunts Fri 24-Nov-17 23:39:01

Doris grin

TooBee4Not2b Fri 24-Nov-17 23:41:59

Doris, that made me laugh out loud

It is truly awful whats happened in Egypt. Total scumbags who have done this.

RJnomore1 Fri 24-Nov-17 23:43:55

What's happened in Egypt???ive just come off news sites and saw nothing.

(Which completely reinforces the point of your thread)

RJnomore1 Fri 24-Nov-17 23:46:11

Christ

235 dead

No words

MargotLovedTom1 Fri 24-Nov-17 23:46:34

Can't stop sniggering at Doris's post grin.

Agree with MorrisZapp and LadyDepp though.

mirialis Fri 24-Nov-17 23:47:40

YABU for using the term "virtue-signalling" - such an overused, thoughtless and lazy way of dismissing people who do or say things differently from you.

Are you "virtue-signalling" at us now by saying British people should make a point of showing we care about Muslim countries as much as "western European/ English-speaking" countries...? Sure seems so.

camelfinger Fri 24-Nov-17 23:49:26

Nobody seems to put anything at all on my Facebook. It’s on its way out.

DoJo Fri 24-Nov-17 23:54:33

Two-tiered values much
They're your friends- why do you share your life with people who behave like this?

MinervaSaidThar Sat 25-Nov-17 00:05:19

Totally agree, OP. I don't buy the 'oh but NY feels closer' argument.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 25-Nov-17 00:16:01

Yabu. As stated upthread, things like Bataclan etc feel more emotive and closer to home because it literally is. It’s not about caring more about white people than brown people.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 25-Nov-17 00:17:12

As it happens, I don’t post those sort of things on Facebook or any other social media. It does feel a bit like virtue signalling to me, however it seems I’m in a large minority.

TaylorTinker Sat 25-Nov-17 00:17:25

It is top story on the BBC news website and I think it was top story on the BBC 1 news tonight.

Insomnibrat Sat 25-Nov-17 00:22:20

'Thoughts and Prayers'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now