Talk

Advanced search

To ask you how to clean a black granite composite sink?

(12 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Mon 13-Nov-17 17:04:59

Not my choice of sink, except that we decided to buy a house containing one!

It is great in that things don't seem to break very easily in it, but rubbish in that it's got a horrible milky/brown haze all over it unless it's soaking wet, even if I've spent ages cleaning it. I'm assuming this is limescale but I've no idea what I can use on it - any recommendations?

Stopyourmessingaround Mon 13-Nov-17 17:37:38

We’ve got one and we live in a hard water area so it ends up looking awful. The best solution I’ve found is ordinary kitchen cleaner, dry it and then go over the whole lot with oil (the spray olive oil is perfect) and wipe with kitchen roll.

GinandGingerBeer Mon 13-Nov-17 17:43:15

Is it granite or composite? How is it both aren’t they different things or am I being dim?
We have black granite work tops and I use Method granite cleaner and an E-Cloth to dry/polish it. Not sure if that’s or any use to you but it makes our granite so shiny I can see my face in it 😬

AnUtterIdiot Mon 13-Nov-17 18:00:46

Thanks both! GinAndGinger I am as confused as you are. That's what the internet calls sinks that look like it basically. It's not like a granite worktop, it's sort of softer but sparkly.

Stopyourmessingaround Mon 13-Nov-17 18:54:03

Sounds like the same as ours, which is composite. It’s not like a granite worktop and won’t come up shiny, shiny. It’s a pain in the arse. Oil is definitely the best solution I’ve found after lots of internet searching and trial and error. There’s also some really good cleaning stuff called Bar Keeper’s Friend (you can get it in John Lewis but not sure where else stocks it) but you’ll still need to oil afterwards as it’ll leave a smoky residue.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 13-Nov-17 19:05:50

This is what our sink looks like. I'm not uploading a photo of our actual sink because it looks utterly vile.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 13-Nov-17 19:07:34

I don't understand what's wrong with a stainless steel sink. I do remember thinking that the sink looked rather fab when we first bought the house, but I think she was generally better at housewifing than I am

KimmySchmidt1 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:16:26

have you tried a product called Barkeeper's Friend? We have just got a lovely pale marble look quartz worktop and it works on getting stains out of that.

outputgap Mon 13-Nov-17 19:16:47

Not completely sure what you've got but we have black composite worksurfaces. Vinegar transforms them. Although you need to wipe it dry to remove the white marks.

What happens if you leave limescale remover on it overnight.

outputgap Mon 13-Nov-17 19:18:53

Actually looking at the picture I'd say vinegar would lift that. But ecover limescale remover overnight if you want to go hard.

OldWitch00 Mon 13-Nov-17 19:20:26

Is it a BLANCO siligranit sink? The Blanco web site might have suggestions and recommendations.

mrssmiling Mon 13-Nov-17 19:27:53

We have black granite surrounding our stainless steel sink....it became covered with limescale...and I was recommended to use this from Lakeland.
www.lakeland.co.uk/23291/The-Skrapr-Multi-Surface-Scraper-x-2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2-OCp6O81wIV9RXTCh0nWwAQEAQYAyABEgLIMfD_BwE&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!105383370869!!!g!43865733845!&ef_id=WgnwWQAAAV57RwH6:20171113192337:s
Amazing results...you just scrape away, it doesn't damage the granite, and gradually the limescale disappears. It cleans hobs too...a great product!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now