Talk

Advanced search

This can't be right?! School are fining parents each time a child is late?

(118 Posts)
Givemeallthechocolate Sat 04-Nov-17 17:11:00

One of DDs friends mums has told me today that our school has started charging parents each time if their kid is late for school.
Apparently if a child arrives after 9am the school are charging £2.50 each day.
Apparently a parent was in tears because they couldn't afford to pay it that week as they had 0.30p until the next week.

This isn't something I heard about through school channels but we have missed a fair few letters due to DD being off having had an operation a week into term, which meant missing a further 2 weeks for recovery... so this may be something I've missed,

But surely this isn't right, or legal?

BlackBanana Sat 04-Nov-17 17:13:24

I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.

They've no right and no ability to enforce.

ChelleDawg2020 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:16:59

I don't know the legality of it, but it actually sounds like a good idea. The parent who only has 30p should just talk to the school, explain their situation and ask for time to pay.

Many people who work are docked pay if they are late. My previous job deducted pay rounded up to the nearest quarter of an hour, and you weren't allowed to make the time up later. Sometimes I'd be let down by the bus but I had to chalk that up to experience.

Appuskidu Sat 04-Nov-17 17:17:15

Sounds like a load of bollocks to me. If you ring them school and they say it was true though-do come back and tell us!

Pengggwn Sat 04-Nov-17 17:18:20

How would they enforce it without a law backing this?

Nquartz Sat 04-Nov-17 17:18:59

But surely children turning up late is disruptive to the rest of the class? I think as a one off it is extreme but might help deter repeat offenders

kaytee87 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:19:01

Many people who work are docked pay if they are late. My previous job deducted pay rounded up to the nearest quarter of an hour, and you weren't allowed to make the time up later. Sometimes I'd be let down by the bus but I had to chalk that up to experience.

They’re not going to work though are they?

Op it sounds like it’s bollocks tbh. I don’t see how that’s enforceable.

Inebriatededna Sat 04-Nov-17 17:22:18

Sounds like a good idea to me , I’m sure they wouldn’t impose it for a one off but there are parents who make no effort to get their kids to school on time and persistently roll up whenever it suits them.

leccybill Sat 04-Nov-17 17:22:31

What happens if you don't pay?

Givemeallthechocolate Sat 04-Nov-17 17:23:12

I'm going to have to go to the school and ask if it's true aren't i!

It seems fairly extreme, and if I were handed a fine for lateness I'm not sure if I would laugh or be rather upset.

BackforGood Sat 04-Nov-17 17:23:27

Sounds very unlikely to me - how are they going to pay that?

When I taught at a school where many of the families lived very chaotic lives, we always emphasised that is was important to bring the dc in every day, however late they got up. If you were a family with 3 dc, and running a bit late, if you actually though this was something the school were gong to impose, you'd just keep them home - how would that help anyone ? confused

MrsPear Sat 04-Nov-17 17:23:42

If your kids are repeatly late at my boys primary you have to visit welfare - the school has a family worker. I would rather pay a fine than see that nosy cow.

Pengggwn Sat 04-Nov-17 17:24:56

Nquartz

It is disruptive, yes, but actually I don't believe schools should have the power to issue fines. They are providing a service, they're not in charge of the parents. And I am a teacher and usually defend schools quite vociferously!

Givemeallthechocolate Sat 04-Nov-17 17:25:03

Backforgood- my thoughts exactly.

cinderellaprincesses123 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:27:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Thesmallthings Sat 04-Nov-17 17:27:41

They can't in force it so if it was true id laugh and walk off

user1485342611 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:28:28

There's a big difference between docking money from staff who are being paid to turn up on time, and taking money from people who are turning up late to use the service you provide.

I doubt the school have any legal right to do this. What will they do if a parent refuses to pay?

Nikephorus Sat 04-Nov-17 17:30:31

Rather than worrying about whether you'd get fined why not put more effort into getting your kids to school on time? hmm

BakedBeans47 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:30:37

I doubt it’s enforceable but for repeat offenders I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

Oliversmumsarmy Sat 04-Nov-17 17:30:58

I think that the school attendance rates will be going down the pan

DavidBowiesNumber1 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:32:56

cinderellaprincesses123

Givemeallthechocolate Y R U lying bout the skool huh? there probibly a gr8 skool but u dissin them like mad bro. how fing daare u?! go drink gin gin grin. it will make all ur prolems dispear

Excuse me? confused

FizzyGreenWater Sat 04-Nov-17 17:34:18

Sounds great, they can use the money accumulated to pay for everyone's childcare on inset days. Or when they close for polling.

I mean, if we're treating it all as a business arrangement...

BlackBanana Sat 04-Nov-17 17:35:09

Cinderella been at the gin gin gin

Givemeallthechocolate Sat 04-Nov-17 17:35:36

Nikephorus- shock I didn't say I was concerned, I'm just shocked to be told this.
It may not even be true.

I'd just like to make the point, I've been told that this is something that's been rolled out this term- i would know if it was true or not, if I needed to be worried about getting such a fine. Week 8 of term, not late once, thank you very much.

No need for the dig, honestly.

hmm

wannabestressfree Sat 04-Nov-17 17:35:44

@cinderellaprincesses123 wrong ‘net’ love

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now