Talk

Advanced search

Aibu - what the heck is an onion core?

(11 Posts)
booellesmum Sat 28-Oct-17 22:19:57

Daughter is doing cookery at school.
Apparently when you chop an onion you have to throw the core away as it is too hard and bitter to use.
Is this really a thing? I've obviously been doing it wrong for 40 years but at least no one has complained until now!

Minidoghugs Sat 28-Oct-17 22:22:39

Do they mean the end of the root?

NurseButtercup Sat 28-Oct-17 22:24:10

Yeah it's the end bit where the root is. I usually chuck this bit as well.

DancingHouse Sat 28-Oct-17 22:25:19

Depends how old the onion is. If it has gone to seed then yes the core could be woody and bitter.

booellesmum Sat 28-Oct-17 22:25:30

Apparently they mean the whole centre of the onion. I have always chopped the ends off but never thrown away all of the middle.

Minidoghugs Sat 28-Oct-17 22:26:35

That's crazy the middle is fine to eat.

PickAChew Sat 28-Oct-17 22:28:30

Sometimes the middle has an extra layer like skin around it, but i normally just chuck this level then have done. If I'm cooking the onion into something like spag bog, I'm often adding celery, too, to add a bit of bitterness, anyhow.

DeadDoorpost Sat 28-Oct-17 22:32:19

The middle is incredibly strong I've always found, and have always been able to taste it. I tend to chuck it out just to stop myself from crying as well when chopping it. Seems to have worked so far. Didn't realise other people ate it. (But then DF trained as a chef so maybe I was brought up with not using it idk)

FrancisCrawford Sat 28-Oct-17 22:34:26

It is total nonsense.

Surely the teacher isn’t presenting this as fact? There is no reason to throw away perfectly good ingredients - it’s a total waste.

NickMyLipple Sat 28-Oct-17 22:37:47

I cut the core out as then my eyes don't water! Cut a square (4 slices) round the root end of the onion and dig out the middle

nauticant Sat 28-Oct-17 23:25:12

You've got to hand it to the onion marketing board, convincing people to chuck away the middles of onions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now