Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DC's School's Annual Compulsory Saturday

(24 Posts)
strawberrisc Mon 09-Oct-17 18:01:18

My DC's school insists on on a compulsory Saturday event every year. The students are gifted back a day in the week but if they don't attend the Saturday event it is recorded as unauthorised.

The first year she'd already commited to a Guide weekend, last year we were away for a family birthday. AIBU to think that non-attendance on a Saturday shouldn't be recorded as unauthorised and that the whole thing is just a pita?

TheSparrowhawk Mon 09-Oct-17 18:05:07

That's really odd. Why on earth do they do that??

Chillyegg Mon 09-Oct-17 18:05:47

How ridiculous why do they do that?

abbsisspartacus Mon 09-Oct-17 18:06:42

Is it private?

Angrybird123 Mon 09-Oct-17 18:09:00

My (private) school does this - its for open morning and well known as a three line whip. The date is in the calendar months in advance and we don't get a day off for it! If she really can't make it then yes it goes as unauthorised.

strawberrisc Mon 09-Oct-17 19:19:05

It's not private but it is religious!

topcat2014 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:20:11

Just let it be down as absent..

Subtlecheese Mon 09-Oct-17 19:29:05

It's religious. A faith school you selected Then, Not just your default school.

strawberrisc Mon 09-Oct-17 19:59:23

subtlecheese. No actually. But thanks for your dissection.

wheresthel1ght Mon 09-Oct-17 20:03:13

If it isn't a private school then I am not sure of the legality of this. If you are UK based I would contact your lea for clarification

ArbitraryName Mon 09-Oct-17 20:03:39

I wouldn’t particularly care that it was recorded as unauthorised. What difference is it going to make (other than increasing the school’s rate of unauthorised absence)?

BackforGood Mon 09-Oct-17 20:52:24

Same as Arbitrary - it is their own figures / %s they are making worse.

Out of interest, what do they do on the Saturday ?

Floralnomad Mon 09-Oct-17 20:57:30

At one of the Grammar schools near us the whole of year 7 have to go in for Rugby on a Saturday morning up until October half term , after which it is voluntary unless you are in the teams . Lots of people complain but they chose the school knowing all about it . I can't actually see the point of one Saturday but at least they get a day off in lieu .

Caulkheadupnorf Mon 09-Oct-17 20:59:19

That’s common at the grammar schools here, the Saturdays are for open days etc. Is there just one day per year or can she do another?

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 09-Oct-17 21:00:06

My dd school has a compulsory evening 6-11 , they get the afternoon of instead on the same day.

missyB1 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:00:39

Our school (private) has speeches day on a Saturday, and its not just compulsory for the kids but for the parents too! It’s incredibly boring as well.

Sirzy Mon 09-Oct-17 21:00:45

Let them mark it unauthorised

No way would ds agree to go to school on a Saturday and no way would I deal with the meltdowns trying to make him!

strawberrisc Mon 09-Oct-17 21:11:19

It's to visit the cathedral for a service - preferably with family.

I will check with the LEA - great idea.

I think I'd rather take the hit!

wheresthel1ght Mon 09-Oct-17 21:29:09

Hope you get a resolution.

I assume it is a Catholic school? If so you may find that it is something they can get away with but I wouldn't be sacrificing family time. If they want to do a family service they should arrange it for in the week

OnionKnight Mon 09-Oct-17 21:31:59

its not just compulsory for the kids but for the parents too!

How does that work, last time I checked school/education stopped being compulsory at 18.

Sirzy Mon 09-Oct-17 21:35:28

Given parents have the right to withdraw their child from acts of worship then really I don’t see how they can force church attendance on a Saturday?

littlemissneela Mon 09-Oct-17 23:28:37

I wondered if it was my DS's previous school, but you then said she, so I guess not. His was/is an all boys grammar school with a mixed 6th form. Every year they do a compulsory Saturday event, which they have to attend. Its quite difficult to get out of, but IIRC you could get out of it for a good reason. It did start with a trip to the cathedral for a service and then fund raising games, stalls and food back at the school.

IncyWincyGrownUp Mon 09-Oct-17 23:31:33

I’d take the hit on the attendance figure if it clashed with something already booked.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 09-Oct-17 23:38:52

Common for academy schools too. We always had a 'family commitment.'wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now