Advanced search

By not having any ID?

(47 Posts)
SD68 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:34:38

I'm hiring a car tomorrow and I need ID in addition to my driving licence, the new DVLA print out part and a credit card with £2,000 available limit.

The ID has to be a letter from a utility supplier - dated within eight weeks, posted not printed from online docs, not council tax or bank, and obviously in my name not a cohabitee's name.

FFS! I actually cannot do it!

scaryteacher Fri 06-Oct-17 14:36:18

YANBU - I couldn't do that either, and I have an ID card for the country I live in.

Ambonsai Fri 06-Oct-17 14:37:41

That's ridiculous

Daisy17 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:39:17

Ridiculous in the age of paperless billing!

SabineUndine Fri 06-Oct-17 14:42:34

Have you got a council tax bill?

jay55 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:42:48

Paper bills tend to be quarterly so having one less than two months old isn’t straightforward even if you do get them by post.

PotteringAlong Fri 06-Oct-17 14:43:57


bigbluebus Fri 06-Oct-17 14:44:50

Nope, I wouldn't be able to supply that either. All our utility bills are now electronic - as are bank statements.

Have they actuallly told you this or is this something you have just picked up from their website? Ask them what you can use as an alternative as all your bills are electronic or in co-habitees name. I'm sure they must be finding that this is a major problem for many people now.

Etymology23 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:46:17

That's crazy! Council tax (yearly) and bank statements are the only things I get in the post and I only get those to fulfill random ID based requirements!!

SD68 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:46:30

They've already stipulated that they won't accept a council tax bill. No idea why not.

I'll have my passport but it doesn't have my address on it.

They might just end up with all my junk mail!

safariboot Fri 06-Oct-17 14:46:44

Accept that they obviously don't want your business, inform them of such, and hire from somewhere else?

wifeyhun Fri 06-Oct-17 14:48:15

Thats bonkers, can you get a car from elsewhere?.

They sound dodgy to be honest.

CardsforKittens Fri 06-Oct-17 14:49:06

All my utility bills are electronic too, and also quarterly, but a printout has always been accepted when I've hired a car. Have you asked them about it? It's odd that they're so rigid.

SD68 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:49:52

It was written in the booking confirmation email.

A valid photo ID (passport or national ID).

For this rental you will also need one original form of proof of address. This must be an original document issued to you by post and feature the same address as on your driver’s licence.

The following rules apply:

a) It must be a utility bill (gas, electric, water use bill etc.).

b) It must be dated within 8 weeks of date of hire.

Please note that mobile phone bills, council tax bills, electronic bills (such as emails and online statements) or their printouts will not be accepted.

Ttbb Fri 06-Oct-17 14:51:49

YANBU. Anyone who expects you to have paper copies of this stuff is severely out of touch.

SD68 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:54:10

I'll try to phone them later. Explain they have to accept an online print out or I'll cancel the booking and go next door. It's an international car hire co at an airport.

I've got a statement I printed from our energy supplier but rather unhelpfully it has "NOT POSTED" in big red fuck off letters across the front!

Goldfishshoals Fri 06-Oct-17 14:54:30

I couldn't provide that, all bills are in my partners name because he lived in this house before I moved in. (I'm on council tax bill and nothing else).

Couldn't have done it in old bed sit either - I paid an all bills included rate direct to the landlord.

It's madness to assume everyone has bills to pay in their name!

Saracen Fri 06-Oct-17 15:14:25

YANBU. They are crazy to think that most people would be able to meet their requirements.

Etymology23 Fri 06-Oct-17 15:28:48

Can you photoshop not posted out? Or does it go all the way across the text? A bit of fiddling in paint can get rid of stuff like that sometimes!

SD68 Fri 06-Oct-17 15:38:42

I'm wondering which will be easier!
Photoshop being successful or phoning to talk to a human being!

SistersOfPercy Fri 06-Oct-17 15:44:43

I had this with a solicitor doing conveyancing a few months back. I still have a paper licence and at the time my passport had expired. We're all paperless here as well. Called the bank and asked for a statement - useless. They would charge me £10 to send one out, but it would only be the same as the print off I could have done which Solicitor said was unacceptable.
Unlike you though I had a little more time so was able to arrange for copies of energy bills etc, also used a payslip from work.

I renewed my passport after that and probably for the best as I actually need photo ID to get into a gig later this month shock

SunWindSun5 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:43:23

Had the same thing when hiring van to move house needed huge amounts of identification it seems to be standard

ivykaty44 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:52:48

I would suspect vehicle fire places have had to tighten their security after more than one incident this year. Applying the same security to the entire fleet covers all bases.

I still get bank statements and have driving licence.

I’d rather hire companies we’re stricter

Parky04 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:56:18

Believe it is now standard practice by hire firms since the attacks where hire vehicles have been used in terrorists attacks.

ivykaty44 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:57:18

Sorry not bank statement then would have to be credit card bill? Or car insurance

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: