Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boss wants money every month for collections

(36 Posts)
ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Wed 20-Sep-17 22:55:57

There are generally lots of collections in my workplace for various events, birthdays, weddings etc., and my boss has decided that she will take £5 from our wages every month. She claims this will mean that everyone will contribute and get the same amount spend, and save time with collecting from people.

My instant reaction was no, I'm not wanting to do that. The thing is, I will contribute to all the collections, I just don't like the idea of someone dictating when and how much.

All other staff have gone along with it.

Am I the one being unreasonable here?

HerRoyalNotness Wed 20-Sep-17 22:57:24

Erm nope, she can't decide to take money from your wages! Or dictate the amount.

I wouldn't be going along with this.

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 20-Sep-17 22:57:35

I know someone whose workplace did that and really found it much easier, but on the other hand your boss can't insist on withholding your income. I wouldn't be the only person who said they wouldn't do it - especially for £5 per month.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Wed 20-Sep-17 22:58:21

I think it's the controlling aspect of it that gets to me the most

MajesticWhine Wed 20-Sep-17 22:59:03

Not unreasonable at all. I wouldn't like that. Giving to collections should be a choice and a pleasure (if you like the person). This is just a pay cut and is against the principle of giving to a collection.

Stressedout10 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:01:13

No your not and if she takes a penny from your wages without your express written permission that's theft
Nor can she bully you into it as that is against civil law (workers tribunal )
Just say no

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 20-Sep-17 23:02:42

She claims this will mean that everyone will contribute and get the same amount spend

But people wouldn't all get the same amount spent on them unless everyone has the same amount of babies, gets married the same number times, leaves the same number of times etc.

Some people in my workplace have never been the recipients of a collection, while others have got married, had multiple DCs and two or three significant birthdays. It all depends whose face fits/is flavour of the month.

But I don't think they can deduct anything from your wages (except tax, NI obviously) without your explicit consent.

MumsOnCrack Wed 20-Sep-17 23:03:36

No way - it's your money and you give what you want, when you want. Tell her you're opting out - cheeky!

MadamePomfrey Wed 20-Sep-17 23:03:39

I'm with you on the controlling aspect I wouldn't like it! However thinking about what I have put in to collections this month alone £5 sounds like a good idea 😉 I also like that things wouldn't be a popularity contest with some people getting loads and others struggle to have enough for some nice flowers!! It's a good idea but would have been handled much better if she had asked as oppose to tell people!!

UrsulaPandress Wed 20-Sep-17 23:04:43

Hell no.

Inertia Wed 20-Sep-17 23:05:03

We had a similar scheme at a previous workplace, but only applied to those people who had agreed to be part of it. Boss can't enforce this ( but then obviously you wouldn't be the recipient of any collection).

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Wed 20-Sep-17 23:18:41

I think my colleagues may feel I'm being ungrateful as they've always been very generous with my collections. I just can't seem to he on board with this, mainly because I'm being told to.

prh47bridge Wed 20-Sep-17 23:18:50

if she takes a penny from your wages without your express written permission that's theft

No, it isn't theft. It is an illegal deduction from wages. She can set up a voluntary scheme but she cannot make it compulsory.

ShoeOnTheOtherFoot Wed 20-Sep-17 23:19:06

*get

Viviennemary Wed 20-Sep-17 23:19:56

She can set up a voluntary scheme but certainly can't make it compulsory. What a nerve!

MadamePomfrey Wed 20-Sep-17 23:19:59

Yeah your boss has gone about it all wrong if she has asked you may well be thinking what a good idea! No one likes being told I'm with you on that op wink

wowfudge Wed 20-Sep-17 23:21:39

It might well be called an illegal deduction from wages. It's still a form of theft.

AuntyEstablishment Wed 20-Sep-17 23:27:00

That's more tricky if you have been a recipient of their generosity.. I think you can say no but maybe it would be easier to go along with it.

Alternatively, you could see if people would like to scrap collections altogether (except maybe serious illness/sympathy) I don't like collections. I don't like organizing them, giving them or receiving them. I generally just don't like them. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I bet I'm not the only one.

Giraffey1 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:31:02

I've never heard of people have deductions from their wages to pay for leaving / baby gifts etc. I'd not be signing up for that!

Fatguy Wed 20-Sep-17 23:39:39

£60 a year they can sod right off! What are they buying people for their birthday? What wrong with a card and some chocolates/ bottle of plonk costing max £5.

Riv Wed 20-Sep-17 23:40:17

I do agree, someone dictating how much I'll give how often would get me. It's just not on.
On top of that, I don't think everyone would be making an equal contribution if you all put in £5 a month. Unless you are all earning the exact same wage, the £5 is a greater percentage of some peoples wage than of others.
I know I'd not miss that amount, and it would probably be less than I pay out now. However, I'm paid reasonably well. I know some people where I work who are less well paid, or maybe work part time or have major financial commitments and for them the £5 a month could be a big deal. Especially around Christmas and holidays.

TheCraicDealer Wed 20-Sep-17 23:41:40

You were the recipient of their voluntary contributions though, not from this quasi-fund your boss wants to set up. It all seems a bit dodgy to me- how would it be policed? Who would have access to it? How would any surplus be divided? How do you make sure that everyone has the same spent on them, even in “busy” months?

An ex-colleague tried to set something like this up at my old workplace and it was a resounding “no” from the rest of the branch. In mid-large scale workforces you have people you’re v keen on who you’d maybe be more generous towards at special occasions than other people you’re not fussed on. For that reason alone I would refuse. You’re talking £60 PA- I like my colleagues and there’s no way I hand that in over a year!

Crumbs1 Wed 20-Sep-17 23:41:51

I think there's a real issue with line managers asking their staff for contributions. It implies a pressure that there shouldn't be and risks people currying favour or being judged unfairly.
What do you do as a lone voice? It's hard but I'd have a private word and say your uncomfortable and prefer to choose what you donate to and how much.

chitofftheshovel Wed 20-Sep-17 23:44:48

It's a not bad idea in that it'll save a lot of faff but she has gone about it in entirely the wrong way.

Reply that once a month you're going to take the afternoon off and see how she likes them apples.

SingingMySong Wed 20-Sep-17 23:47:53

Doesn't it spoil it for the recipient too, knowing the gift has been bought through office poll tax?!

I can see the logic of systemising it tbh but it's like people asking for money instead of presents. No matter how logical it is, it comes across rude and diminishes the gesture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now