Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not to wash my dishes in soup?

(28 Posts)
ProfessorCat Wed 20-Sep-17 10:45:35

This morning I was preparing tea by putting ingredients into the slow cooker. I ran the tap into the sink to wash up as I went along and asked DH if he could crumble two stock cubes into the slow cooker as my hands were wet.

Then he proceeded to run his stock-crumbed fingers under the hot tap as it's running into a sink full of hot dish water, turning my hot, bubbly dish jacuzzi into a chicken-flavoured bath.

AIBU in not wanting to wash the dishes in stock water? He thinks I'm insane for screeching at him in horror! I don't want my tea cups and glasses smelling of chicken.

Shoud I LTB?

In case of confusion, this is very lighthearted.

KittysMyName Wed 20-Sep-17 10:54:32

Depends how many crumbs he had on his hands! If it was just a few, I doubt it would be a problem. But if his hands were coated, like chickeny gloves (grin) then fair enough, screech away!

LiquoricePickle Wed 20-Sep-17 10:55:58

LTB. Or maybe just make him redo the dishes.

Sirrah Wed 20-Sep-17 10:57:07

Stock cubes are a bit greasy, but the detergent should counteract that. Just rinse with fresh water after washing.

EnidNextDoor Wed 20-Sep-17 10:57:23

Don't you rinse your dishes?

Branleuse Wed 20-Sep-17 10:59:16

it wouldnt even occur to me that this was a problem.

AlpacasPackOwls Wed 20-Sep-17 11:00:10

Huh? Don't some dishes and especially pans have some remnants of food on and therefore the water ends up a weird cocktail of flavours? Just rinse after washing.

Fuckit2017 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:05:44

Make him do all the house work.

Ulysses Wed 20-Sep-17 11:09:34

Surely you rinses your dishes otherwise they’d be in their own soup of what ever was left on there anyway.

ProfessorCat Wed 20-Sep-17 11:16:36

I rinse all my dishes before washing so not many remnants plus my water was so clean!

I do rinse briefly but will no one think of the clean water?

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Wed 20-Sep-17 11:56:25

How much rinsing is going on here?! A pre and post-wash rinse?!

AlpacasPackOwls Wed 20-Sep-17 11:59:29

So you wash off the remnants, then you wash the plate then you wash off the suds? That's a lot of washing grin

ProfessorCat Wed 20-Sep-17 12:00:02

Is that not normal? Or does everyone dump plates covered in sauce and gravy in their washing up water?

NauticalDisaster Wed 20-Sep-17 12:02:34

I wash my dishes the way you do, Professor, and that would gave driven me over the edge. LTB!

Tretchikoff Wed 20-Sep-17 12:04:58

Why remove the foil from the cube?
Snip off a flattened out corner and crumble through the foil.
Your hands don't touch the insides that way.
My life has been revolutionised by that tip! smile

Ribrabrob Wed 20-Sep-17 12:06:06

Lol you sound a bit dramatic!

BeatriceBeaudelaire Wed 20-Sep-17 12:08:05

I recently got a dishwasher and it's larvley ( except when DP puts glasses in and they come out worse than they went it angry

WowserBowser Wed 20-Sep-17 12:08:48

I'm with you Professor but I have a thing about cutlery and plates. I like nice clean water. I may soak dirty plates and come back later and replace the water. Yes it might be a waste. But I don't care. I'm a pure slattern in other ways.

WowserBowser Wed 20-Sep-17 12:10:48

If I am doing a lot of washing up - cleanest ones first. So glasses, then next cleanest until gravy laden plates or whatever. But I change the water whenever it looks dirty.

I excite myself sometimes with my dishes tales.

ProfessorCat Wed 20-Sep-17 12:25:23

I'm very dramatic smile

I'd LOVE a dishwasher again. Alas, I can't afford either dishwasher or the plumbing it would need in my strangely plumbed kitchen.

Wait, would the stock not rip open the foil as I crumbled it?

Keepthebloodynoisedown Wed 20-Sep-17 12:48:35

Pull up the edges of the foil, then gently crumble the cube. So much better than taking it out first.

RaininSummer Wed 20-Sep-17 13:23:33

Blimey- I dump all my washing up in the sink in a vague cleanest first order. If the water starts to look 'orrible then I refresh the sink. Hasn't killed me yet.

pinkie1982 Wed 20-Sep-17 13:45:12

The stock cube tip I read somewhere on a list of household things you don't know about! That's why they are in a bag.

Bringmewineandcake Wed 20-Sep-17 13:53:16

I like my washing up water untainted like you cat I'd have screeched too grin

ProfessorCat Wed 20-Sep-17 13:53:52

Stock cubes in a bag?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now