Talk

Advanced search

to ask your opinion of Strava for cycling

(6 Posts)
bloodorangesareyummy Tue 13-Jun-17 11:40:57

DH thinks I should start using it to log my miles etc, but I am worried it will turn me competitive and obsessive and suck the joy out of my hobby. The people I know who use it seem preoccupied with their speed, how many miles they've done etc. I am naturally a competitive person so would it be a mistake?

AnnaRacks Tue 13-Jun-17 11:49:04

It's quite nice to see how far you've cycled in a week, or in one ride. I don't really use it for speed (but then again I'm not fast, and I don't mind about speed), but use it to record my own progress.

It's quite nice when other people give you kudos!

I also use it for running and am pretty competitive with myself on times - it gives you comparisons against the previous runs you did on the same route so you can see how you are improving.

It is a bit addictive - it's a bit like if it's not on strava, it didn't happen! (I did a 10km run on Sunday and thought it hadn't recorded - I was gutted!).

GreatBigPolarBear Tue 13-Jun-17 11:51:52

Love strava but yes, easy to get obsessed!

Ifailed Tue 13-Jun-17 11:53:33

Strava can be useful to track your progress, and I do sometimes like watching the Flybys as I'm nosey and wonder where the people I pass have come from and going to. The segment thing can be quite a pain though, especially if you have a competitive streak, and if there's one thing guaranteed to ruin a group ride is having someone suddenly zoom off trying to get a better score on one.

Don't trust their calorie burn estimate, it is woefully optimistic.

BikeRunSki Tue 13-Jun-17 11:56:46

I prefer to use a standalone Garmin to record distance and route, and not join in with all the segments, Queen of the Mountains type stuff.

Thinkingabouthowlifechanges Tue 13-Jun-17 12:01:45

I joined Strava a few months ago and yeah I have become a bit obsessive! grin

BUT it's been great as it pushes me to ride more as I want to get fittter and faster. I like to monitor my progress like how many miles so far this year. And I like seeing how I compare to people in my cycling club on certain stretches of road.

I've got a few QOMs which I'm very proud of.

It's gutting when you do a really good effort on a climb then realise Strava was turned off sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now