Talk

Advanced search

To I ask about finding a cleaner?

(8 Posts)
DorkMaiden Sun 14-May-17 17:45:03

Where/how did you find yours, and how much do you pay p/hr?

Would you take on a random person who contacted you via Facebook (in reply to a request for recommendations on a local FB page), who does cleaning as casual work? If so what would you want from them before doing so?

TIA!

snowgirl1 Sun 14-May-17 17:50:15

I found my last cleaner by asking a friend who recommended her cleaner to me. Friend had found her from a neighbour who recommended her. Paid £10 per hour (I'm in SW London/Surrey).

If I'd posted a request for recommendations on fb I'd be fine with a cleaner replying, but would want references.

Tiptoethr0ughthetulips Sun 14-May-17 17:55:00

A cleaning agency, I think it makes it much easier if you're not happy you got to the manager don't have to deal directly with the cleaner.

DorkMaiden Sun 14-May-17 19:00:12

I'm surprised how hard I am finding it to find one actually. Lots of the small cleaning companies around here have shut down recently. I have been quoted £14p/hr by a one company, which is a bit more than I would ideally like to pay.

I will need to give whoever is cleaning the house a key, as I don't want to be there when they clean. So I am a bit nervous about using just an individual IYSWIM. Not sure if IABU though.

RamblinRosie Mon 15-May-17 00:58:59

Ideally get one through recommendations, friends or neighbors.

That said, I got one from a note through my door, I did check references, she also offered me her passport so I noted the number.

She was Polish, so I am now looked after by the local Polish cleaning mafia smile, when she (K1) got pregnant she passed me on to her cousin (A) who passed me to another relative (K2), K2 then returned home and K1's (T) mother took over. T returned to Poland, K1 introduced her friend M. For the last 15 years I've had lovely, and utterly trustworthy cleaners.

WildBelle Mon 15-May-17 01:03:58

I found mine through fb. It's a small town and a close knit community though so maybe not as dodgy as using the Same tactic in a big town or city. I had lots of people contact me but I just had a feeling about the one I chose in the end, she's cleaned for me for about 7 months now and she's great.

WildBelle Mon 15-May-17 01:04:53

Oh and I pay her £10ph

Jedimum1 Mon 15-May-17 01:14:33

I had one two years ago, so this might be wrong, I went through an agency, I think I paid the cleaner £7 cash/h and the agency had a direct debit for £3/h. I had her booked for 2.5h a week.
I've seen people asking for recommendations on cleaners in Facebook groups, I would take one that has been recommended by more than one person.

That said, an agency will provide with cover and insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now