Talk

Advanced search

How would you spend "baby bonding money"?

(35 Posts)
thenorthernluce Sun 23-Apr-17 20:22:56

My husband's workplace gives its employees £300 baby bonding money when they/their partner give birth. It's a cash gift, and there are no rules about what it is to be spent on.

I'm giving birth to our first child in August, so we will be the lucky recipients of this generous gift. I was hoping to tap Mumsnetters' experience to work out how to spend this money, so my question is: when you had a newborn, what services or goods would have made/did make your life a little easier and enabled quality baby bonding time?

Thank you!

Aliveinwanderland Sun 23-Apr-17 20:24:28

National Trust membership so you can have family days out together?

ifigoup Sun 23-Apr-17 20:28:33

Posh ready meals from somewhere like COOK.
A couple of nicer takeaways.
When the baby's a bit bigger, from 4 or 5 months, a short course of classes like Baby Sensory or Adventure Babies or swimming lessons.

iMatter Sun 23-Apr-17 20:28:56

A nanny for a few days so I could get some kip?

A cleaner?

00100001 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:29:55

That's annoying. What about people who can't have kids? When do they get their £300? Do you get £300 per child? Or is it a one off?

Crispmonster1 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:30:39

National trust or English heritage membership. Or save it for a night in a nice hotel for after baby is born...

NapQueen Sun 23-Apr-17 20:30:56

Id put it away for an extended rear facing carseat when they outgrow their infant seat, but im boring grin

Annual passes to places is a great suggestion - any zoos or safari parks nearby?

Spudlet Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:22

That's a really nice policy!

I'd second a bit of help around the house (nice food, or maybe a cleaner) then save some for a class or two as they can get really expensive.

Grumpbum Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:32

Put aside, wait until you feel comfortable to leave baby and have a night away

Fluffy24 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:32:41

<mops up the bucket of cold water 001 flung>

What a lovely gesture OP, wish my employer did that

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 23-Apr-17 20:33:42

Gin, and a cleaner, and more gin. And also, a cleaner.

Crisscrosscranky Sun 23-Apr-17 20:34:40

I agree with NT/EH membership for days out - family membership is about £100.

I'd have one of those fancy newborn photoshoots too where they pose them in funny hats etc - I know some people think they are a bit tacky but I love them!

MommaGee Sun 23-Apr-17 20:35:03

Second Grumpbum, use it as a treat for the two of you to do something or a few things together. If I waited till I could leave him overnight it'd accrue a grand in interest :-D but money for a nice meal out etc or a cheap weekend away with baby

Honeybee79 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:35:24

A night away in a posh hotel when baby is older and can be left with a relative etc overnight!

BumWad Sun 23-Apr-17 20:36:23

That's annoying. What about people who can't have kids? When do they get their £300? Do you get £300 per child? Or is it a one off?

Oh bog off

Crunchymum Sun 23-Apr-17 20:36:24

Is this for each child?

MommaGee Sun 23-Apr-17 20:36:34

0010000 That's annoying. What about people who can't have kids? When do they get their £300? Do you get £300 per child? Or is it a one off?
By that argument also ban paid maternity or paternity leave because when will other people get it if they don't have children?

ems137 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:36:55

I'd probably buy something practical like a cot or posh bouncer or the next stage car seat. But we don't have a lot of money so any of those things we need to save hard for and £300 would be a big help to us.

If we were better off I would probably spend it on a nice photo shoot maybe?

MissClimpsonsTypingBureau Sun 23-Apr-17 20:37:03

Pram/ travel system/ carseat was the most expensive thing we got - £300 would have been a good chunk of it. Cot and nursery furniture? It could easily pay for a side-sleeper crib if that's something you're interested in.

I guess the question is whether you want to spend it all on something treaty or whether it needs to go on essentials...

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 23-Apr-17 20:39:07

Save it in case you need a sleep consultant. I wish I'd had 300 free quid to spend on that!

Pastaagain78 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:39:34

A cleaner and takeaways. Definitely a cleaner.

44PumpLane Sun 23-Apr-17 20:40:10

Cleaner!

Having just had twins 21 weeks ago I can't tell you what a treat a cleaner would be, and with £300 you'd get a decent number of weeks of cleaning.

sm40 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:42:10

I got a voucher from work before ds was born for good performance. I got one of those expensive feeding chairs. 10 years later still a great tv chair!

TotalPineapple Sun 23-Apr-17 20:44:12

Baby swimming is lovely (and expensive) we went from 10 weeks old (you can go from birth but that was how the terms fell and I've been happy with the pace of the classes corresponding to her development, I think if she was younger we might have struggled a bit when it came to learning the cues).

Baby Sensory is also good (though some of my NCT class found the American-ness annoying and prefer something called Hartbeeps). I've not done baby massage, baby sign, or baby yoga, but I'm sure those would be good for bonding too.

For a making your life easier I'd go with the Sleepyhead pod.

Seeingadistance Sun 23-Apr-17 21:01:02

What a lovely gift!

I'd go for a gin and a cleaner, but the ideas for classes of different kinds is good as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now