14 year old on long train ride.

(39 Posts)
Tinkerbec Sat 15-Apr-17 09:23:44

Just as in the title really.

Sensible just turned 14 year old girl will be travelling on a train for six hours by herself from the South to the North. There are no changes and it is a direct train.

Would you let your 14 year old do this?

Isadora2007 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:24:48

Yes. I would.
I was a similar age when I travelled down south to stay with a friend in the summer and had one change.

It was all fine.

ProudBadMum Sat 15-Apr-17 09:25:30

Yes. Depends on the child tbh. At 14 I'd have been allowed but not my brother

TheHeartOfTeFiti Sat 15-Apr-17 09:26:54

Yes with no worries. At 14 most would be able to manage changes, self travel etc

newdaylight Sat 15-Apr-17 09:26:55

Yes, absolutely. I sorted out my own train travel at that and first did a similar journey to the one you describe at age 10. In that car a train guard was aware, knew where I was getting off and made sure I was picked up but I wouldn't expect that to be necessary for a 14yo

toriap2 Sat 15-Apr-17 09:27:28

I would but would contact the train operator and ask them to keep an eye out if possible. I would also be contacting her every half hour for updates. I only say this as mt 14 year old is scarily mature for her age lol. At that age I was flying manchester to brussels alone but the airline were looking out for me

Trills Sat 15-Apr-17 09:28:47

I'd have been fine with this at 14. Bit bored maybe. Try to get a seat that will have a power socket.

Have a little chat about going to the loo or the buffet car and taking your phone and wallet with you (or having them hidden inside a bag enough that someone would have to be obviously rummaging in order to steal them).

Not because people do steal stuff much on trains, but so that when they get on the train they don't suddenly realise the possibility and worry about how to deal with it.

StewPots Sat 15-Apr-17 09:28:48

Yep. I did this a few times on an 8 hour trip to my Dad's when he lived up North. I was 14. I had one change but managed that absolutely fine each time and I always made sure I had a reserved seat, and let the guard know I was travelling solo.

madcapcat Sat 15-Apr-17 09:35:19

Another vote for yes. And at 15 I travelled to Sweden alone - train to Newcastle and overnight ferry to Gothenburg where I was met.

I would also look at the cost difference and if there isn't much in it I would book first class - free refreshments on a lot of the trains, more room, more chance of a power socket and the staff have more time to keep an eye out.

madcapcat Sat 15-Apr-17 09:36:34

Oh and its usually free wifi in first - that and the refreshments might well mean first class is cheaper!

Tinkerbec Sat 15-Apr-17 09:37:17

Thanks

She usually travels with her 17 year old sister. So she is used to the journey but her sister is staying with her bf this holiday. They are usually in contact every half hour and we can track them on friend finder.

It was just my DM started on about her not letting me at that age. She is right she would not have. She used to drag me put of bed at 15 at 6 am to take my sister swimming training for an hour as I was not to be left alone. Ridiculous really.

Iamastonished Sat 15-Apr-17 09:39:58

Yes. But at 14 DD wouldn't have wanted to. She has anxiety and zero self confidence and would rather die than take a train journey on her own at 14.

On the other hand I travelled from Stuttgart to Liverpool Street on my own at 14. Train to the Hook of Holland, ferry to Harwich and train to Liverpool Street. I think that was pretty unusual though.

SoulAccount Sat 15-Apr-17 09:42:11

A 14 year old is fine travelling by train, and I wouldn't be doing half hour checks or contacting the train company either.

I don't think train operators offer a service of 'keeping an eye' on able bodied NT teens.

And she is used to this journey after all.

Tinkerbec Sat 15-Apr-17 09:42:16

Iamastonished that is brave. I don't think I could do that now on my own! Haha

She actually wants to and it ok with it snd has done it many times. Just with her sister though.

Will look at first class too thanks.

RandomMess Sat 15-Apr-17 09:44:47

Absolutely fine especially as used to the journey your DM sounds a bit over anxious!

OhDearToby Sat 15-Apr-17 09:46:00

I think it is fine. I travelled from Aberdeen to London at that age and I actually enjoyed the travelling.

LittleCandle Sat 15-Apr-17 09:47:55

I put my 9 year old on a train alone. She had the time table so she could keep an eye on where she was and she was met at the other end. Did her confidence a world of good and she had a ball. She had a phone and rang me to let me know when she got there and texted a couple of times enroute.

pipsqueak25 Sat 15-Apr-17 10:01:01

wouldn't be contacting every half hour though, seems to be a bit ott, if she knows the route and it is straight forward, what's the problem ?

Popskipiekin Sat 15-Apr-17 10:35:57

I think she sounds more than capable but - it's clearly just me who's had rubbish train journeys (huge delays, cancellations mid journey, switching trains, having to wait around in tiny train stations etc), as nobody has mentioned would she be ok with her journey suddenly going up in the air like that?
I would ensure she knows always to have her phone charged (if necessary, get and charge for her a battery pack - can hold 4 charges for an iPhone). Half hourly update seems excessive but hourly good. She needs enough water and food/cash on her to feed herself for twice the length of the journey in my experience. And access - does she have a debit card? - to much more if made stranded at some point. I'm being doom and gloom but the virgin east coast has made me this way!

FlyAwayPeter Sat 15-Apr-17 10:37:21

Good lord! I flew from London to Athens alone at that age. Make sure she's got a book, and some food, and a booked seat.

daisypond Sat 15-Apr-17 10:48:00

Yes, of course.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sat 15-Apr-17 10:50:20

I think a sensible girl should be fine.

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 15-Apr-17 10:53:56

I travelled to Amsterdam with a friend at 14 so I can't see the issue with a direct train

Catinthecorner Sat 15-Apr-17 11:00:09

Some of the replies here really explain how so many young adults seem to have no common sense or basic life skills.

She'll be fine. She's 14 not 4, it's a familiar journey, she's told you she's confident about it and she has a phone. Christ, at the same age I'd have considered myself chuffed if I got a lift to the station.

FrancisCrawford Sat 15-Apr-17 11:07:00

She's 14

It's a direct route with no changes.

All she has to do is get on one end and off the other.

She's done the journey many times.

What possible objections could there be?

Let her do it and don't contact her. Fine if she texts you but let her get on with it. apart from the obvious text/call to say she's hot to her destination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now