Advanced search

AIBU to wonder if a reference can be challenged

(44 Posts)
user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:32:43

Much or what is claimed about me is highly subjective but unfortunately it's impeding me moving on professionally.

AIBU to wonder if anything can be done?

Kelsoooo Fri 07-Apr-17 16:34:55

Don't put them as a reference?

user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:36:09

I have to due to safer recruitment policies (I am a teacher!)

Being a teacher makes it tricky I'd imagine; not sure about the teaching specific rules bit we've just had a new version of safer recruitment issued complete with sample reference forms which are really detailed and quite subjective. And we are obliged by our code of conduct to complete the damn things

Have you got a copy of what has actually been said?

user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:52:35

Yes, it makes reference to something I was accused of but was later completely cleared of but of course by referencing it it makes it seem I did it, and I didn't.

Emphasise Fri 07-Apr-17 16:55:59

They are specifically asked and duty bound to disclose any accusations, proven or otherwise. I dont know how it's legal, but it appears to be so. In the name of protecting children from people "everyone" knew about but nothing proven, I suppose.

Emphasise Fri 07-Apr-17 16:57:31

That said,there's plenty of opportunity for them to say the accusations were thoroughly investigated and disproved. Definitely challenge it if they're not doing that

user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:07:04

Thanks smile

I'd agree, they should annotate the accusation with the outcome in some way so it's clear that although the accusation was made it was not upheld.

user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:25:35

Hmm well they sort of have but in a way that suggests it wasn't proved but I was still 'guilty' and I wasn't!

ilovesooty Fri 07-Apr-17 17:26:01

Have you involved your union?

user1483387154 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:27:06

Ask for a copy and involve the union.

flumpybear Fri 07-Apr-17 17:28:25

Union!!! I can't believe
That's allowed if it was found to be untrue!!

Emphasise Fri 07-Apr-17 17:35:17

How have they answered the question about being fit to work with children?

BigGrannyPants Fri 07-Apr-17 17:38:25

I'm not sure they can make reference to something that was found not to be true, that seems constructive to me and perhaps a matter for a grievance

Trifleorbust Fri 07-Apr-17 17:41:02

Reiterate - go your union immediately.

user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:47:31

Union are not very helpful I'm afraid.

user1491565842 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:48:10

Sorry that was a bit short and looked irritable and abrupt and I am but with the situation not your good selves blush

Emphasise Fri 07-Apr-17 17:48:57

They can Biggranny. Child protection rules require that they do.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 07-Apr-17 17:50:29

Threaten legal action against them (and indeed carry it out if you ever find you have lost a position over this). The reason why many companies will only give "confirmation" references ie. confirm they worked here as a (blank) between (Dates) is because they can be liable if they lie!

Maybe at interview pre-empt it when they say is there anything else?

Well yes, actually I understand from another prospective employer that they say this in my reference. I would like you to know that I was entirely cleared of this but I think they have been very disingenuous with their response.

Trifleorbust Fri 07-Apr-17 17:53:54

user1491565842 :

Why isn't the union helping? They should be able to advise you on how you can challenge this.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 07-Apr-17 17:55:48


Accusations leave alsorts of shadows on a teacher's reference

Emphasise Fri 07-Apr-17 17:56:30

Teaching is different, though all allegations have to be included in a reference, even if they've been discounted. It's the why all references have to come from the head, because there may be allegations no-one else in school is aware of

worriedmum100 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:01:21

In theory you can legally challenge a reference if it is negligent, misleading or defamatory. You need to seek legal advice and your union should assist.

ilovesooty Fri 07-Apr-17 18:03:11

Have you taken the situation to your union regional rep?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: