Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you about recommendations for French or English books?

(11 Posts)
PamplemousseRouge Sat 25-Feb-17 20:03:48

Hi everyone,

I love reading and getting into new books in French and English, especially ones that have been recommmended to me.

I've recently finished two books written by the French author Leïla Slimani, which were both absolutely incredible - Dans le Jardin de l'ogre (in the Garden of the Ogre), and Chanson Douce - sadly, neither have been translated into English yet, but I hope they will be soon, because they were brilliant.

Anyway... does anyone have any recommendations please for books in English or French?

Thanks! smile

PamplemousseRouge Sat 25-Feb-17 20:11:22

Bumping smile

Renniehorta Sat 25-Feb-17 20:31:59

Sorry I don't have any recommendations, but I love to read in French so I will follow up yours. Thanksgiving

Renniehorta Sat 25-Feb-17 20:32:52

Thanksgiving = thanks

Meluzyna Sat 25-Feb-17 20:35:18

I really loved Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.
In French you might like Et si c'était vrai.. by Marc Levy, and for something completely different Pars vite et reviens tard by Fred Vargas.

SeeMyVest Sat 25-Feb-17 20:44:19

Ooh ooh!
Please read Le Boucher by Alina Reyes. Meant to be amazing!!
It's my goal to get my French good enough to read it one day.. please read it on my behalf and let me know how it is grin

user1469914265 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:50:20

Funny in French or English!

www.amazon.co.uk/Extraordinary-Journey-Fakir-Trapped-Wardrobe/dp/1846558409?tag=mumsnetforum-21

PamplemousseRouge Sat 25-Feb-17 21:46:24

Ooh thank you so much Rennie, Meluzyna, See and user smile will chase up your recommendations!

If anyone else has any suggestions, please do let us know! smile

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 26-Feb-17 09:56:19

Have you read any of the classics- Madame Bovary, Les Miserables, some Emile Zola?

Hygellig Sun 26-Feb-17 10:12:15

I recently read "After the Crash" by Michel Bussi in English translation.
A real page-turner.

PamplemousseRouge Sun 26-Feb-17 13:21:52

Thanks JudgeJudy and hyggelig smile I've read Madame Bovary and thought it was brilliant - I highly recommend it smile I've read a couple by Zola - Pot-Bouille, Germinal and Thérèse Raquin, but haven't read anything by Victor Hugo yet. Has anyone read Les Misérables yet, and if so, what did you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now